Home Server Backups taking too long RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Home Server and have setup a box to play with it.  Intel MB with Atom CPU, 2G Ram, 2 x 1Tb HDDs.  I have setup it up to backup 4 machines on the network and don't know why but it is taking forever trying to backup each PC.  I have not actually finished one yet.  It gets to 35 - 50% and just seems to stop even though it says it is backing up.  IT will sit there for days!!!! and maybe progress 1% .....  The 2 machines it is trying to backup first are both running Vista Business.  I actually cancelled one machine only to have the second one do the same thing.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:52 PM

Answers

• yeh ... got it
    don't know why yet but it looks like a firewall problem on both machines.  Why it gets to 35% without issues and then stumbles is strange but have disabled firewall and have backed up one within a few hours and my machine which has a 500G almost full is now backing up ... well it's up to 78% and still going.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:42 PM
  • You'll find some information on required ports in the Home Networking technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:59 PM

All replies

• I am new to Home Server and have setup a box to play with it.  Intel MB with Atom CPU, 2G Ram, 2 x 1Tb HDDs.  I have setup it up to backup 4 machines on the network and don't know why but it is taking forever trying to backup each PC.  I have not actually finished one yet.  It gets to 35 - 50% and just seems to stop even though it says it is backing up.  IT will sit there for days!!!! and maybe progress 1% .....  The 2 machines it is trying to backup first are both running Vista Business.  I actually cancelled one machine only to have the second one do the same thing.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on the hard drives (both in the clients and the server)?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:23 AM
  • If the clients connect using wireless connection you may try to to run the first backup for each client using a wirde connection.

Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:40 PM
  • will try the chkdsk now but here is the funny part ... well not that funny but
    I have a netbook MSI Wind with 2g RAM, 250G HDD running Windows 7 RC and it is using a 54M wireless connection to the network and it backs up within a couple of hours (for the initial first backup) ......
    I have left my machine backing up now for 2 days and after getting to 35% it has now progressed to 36% so will kill the current backup and restart and get it to chkdsk on the reboot and see if that helps.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:39 PM
  • yeh ... got it
    don't know why yet but it looks like a firewall problem on both machines.  Why it gets to 35% without issues and then stumbles is strange but have disabled firewall and have backed up one within a few hours and my machine which has a 500G almost full is now backing up ... well it's up to 78% and still going.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:42 PM
  • The backup runs as several steps, first checking for things that need to be backed up, this is typically 35% of the job when all the disk has to be backed up. Then it 'Organises data on the Server' (nothing to do here on a first time back-up) and then it transfers data to the server. So yours was getting stuck at the 'transfer' section because of the firewall problem.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:19 PM
  • You'll find some information on required ports in the Home Networking technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:59 PM