i have a faulty motherboard in my whs, i have a replacement, but its a different brand, what do i need to do? RRS feed

• Question

• hi :)

can i just swap it and the whs will run ok? or does it require some kind of re-install??

many thanks for your time

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    transfering the board is ok, there should nothing happen besides you may get a non bootable system.
    As mentioned, I changed my motherboard and CPU 2 times after building up the first WHS from very old components.  Product activation via Internet, as far requested, did work well. Just in case, there is still phone activation, so no need for getting a new key.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ThE_gOg Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    it depends :-)
    You can help the luck, if you stay in the same processor and chipset family to avoid the need for a different HAL and other mass storage drivers, which are the main reason, why a transfered system may not boot.
    The primary drive must be connected to the very first connector, and if it is a SATA disk, you may have to compare the settings for the SATA controller in Bios (maybe it was set to IDE compatibility mode before, so this should be done again).

If the transfer ends in a bluescreen anyway, you may have to perform a server reinstallation - which makes you keep the data and backups, but loose the user accounts, add-ins and other customizations.

Only in case you don't get offered a server reinstallation (also not, if you provide the SATA drivers, if necessary) the big work begins.
    Product activation will usually kick in, but I had no problems with reactivating even after a 3rd mainboard change and some necessary reinstalls.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:46 PM
  • thanks Olaf :)

would it be worth me just transferring the motherboard over then seeing what happens etc?

if it does require reactivation how do i get another key from ms??

thanks again
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:06 PM
  • Hello,
    transfering the board is ok, there should nothing happen besides you may get a non bootable system.
    As mentioned, I changed my motherboard and CPU 2 times after building up the first WHS from very old components.  Product activation via Internet, as far requested, did work well. Just in case, there is still phone activation, so no need for getting a new key.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ThE_gOg Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:18 AM
  • thanks Olaf :o)
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:31 PM