none
topology 5 - would there be any network related issues

Question

• I have configured the HPC server 2008 R2 and other workstation nodes(all Win 7s) per Topolgy 5 - That suits my need as I did not have to tinker with anything (additional NICs etc). So all of these boxes (server and workstation nodes) are on the same corporate network.

Assuming the cluster is 'idle', would there be any additional network traffic that I need to be worried about with this topology? (eg., broadcast packets etc).?

TIA

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hello.

I suppose that there is no heavy traffic in idle state. But you can use Microsoft Network Monitor or Wireshark and try to capture traffic (using filters for your subnet, for example). I think maximum what you will see - ARP, DNS, maybe ping (i don't know exactly how nodes "say" to headnode that the are alive), maybe DHCP. Common type of traffic, indeed.

• Marked as answer by SRIRAM R Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:58 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hello.

Even if cluster is in idle state, there is some network traffic - "pulses" from the nodes, "pulse" from headnode and so on. Why are you worry about this traffic? 

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Just want to make sure that the other workstations/PCs on the same network/subnet are not severely affected. A normal pulsing/broadcasting should be okay (and is expected)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Hello.

I suppose that there is no heavy traffic in idle state. But you can use Microsoft Network Monitor or Wireshark and try to capture traffic (using filters for your subnet, for example). I think maximum what you will see - ARP, DNS, maybe ping (i don't know exactly how nodes "say" to headnode that the are alive), maybe DHCP. Common type of traffic, indeed.

• Marked as answer by SRIRAM R Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:58 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:50 PM