Can I have more than one mesh? And belong to more than one mesh? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got this mental model of Venn diagrams based on the (admittedly little) reading and video watching I've done. Looks fascinating.

However, can I have a PC involved in multiple meshes? Will I need several Live IDs?

For example, I can see having a mesh that shares with co-workers. But I don't want to share my photos with them, but I do want to share my photos with my family and select friends.

I'd also like to be able to provide support via Live Desktop to friends and perhaps their acquaintances, but again, without exposing my work information and my family informations/resources to them.

And at work, I want to have several meshes for computers that I'm testing on, separating the folders so that other testers can't get at new code versions I have on my machine.

And can the sync work one-way? So that a PC can get all new files, but if it generates files based on programs it's running, those files remain local to the PC, even if they are in a shared folder.

Does the Live Mesh API allow for programs to react to the completion of a sync, for example? Can I set something up so that all new files that come in can be automatically handled by a program I create?

It sounds really neat, but there's not a whole lot of info out there right now.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:47 PM

Answers

•  The scenario you describe is possible if all the folks in your workgroup have accounts on, and can log into the 10 PCs. Each of them can install our client bits [our installs are per-user] on the PCs and add the device to their mesh -- you'll end up with each developer having their own mesh of 10 devices, the devices just all happen to be the same set of computers. The developers can then share a Live Folder, with each person mapping their instance of the Live Folder to a different physical directory; changes to the Live Folder will be reflected in each developer's copy of the Live Folder. 
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:46 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your interest. Most of the scenarios that you're talking about are achievable with Live Mesh today. Allow me to do a bit of terminology clarification first, though: your devices [PCs, mobile phones etc] belong to a single mesh -- they define *your* mesh [of devices]. Within that mesh, you can have multiple Live Folders, which are the unit of sharing -- you can have one Live Folder that's shared with your co-workers, another one that's shared with your family etc. Live Folders are completely disjoint -- the co-workers you're sharing one Live Folder with won't know that you also have a family folder, and vice versa. And each of the people you're sharing with will have their own mesh, based on which devices they've chosen to add.

Unfortunately, we don't currently expose an ability to only sync some of the files and directories within a Live Folder, which is what you'd need for the "one-way sync" scenario you describe, but it's on our "to-do" list.

Thanks,
          Alex Mallet.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Alex Mallet [MSFT] said:

Allow me to do a bit of terminology clarification first, though: your devices [PCs, mobile phones etc] belong to a single mesh -- they define *your* mesh [of devices]. Within that mesh, you can have multiple Live Folders, which are the unit of sharing -- you can have one Live Folder that's shared with your co-workers, another one that's shared with your family etc. Live Folders are completely disjoint -- the co-workers you're sharing one Live Folder with won't know that you also have a family folder, and vice versa. And each of the people you're sharing with will have their own mesh, based on which devices they've chosen to add.

Thanks for the quick response and the clarification.

So all sharing is at the folder level? I can't have a workgroup of 3 people have the same devices on their mesh so that they can remotely connect to them? Or is that possible? I expect there must be some overlap (hence my comment on Venn diagrams).

In my little scenario above, imagine 3 developers with 10 PCs available for testing. All 3 devs would like to be able to connect to the test PCs and check things, update software, etc., plus share the new code releases.

Does that work?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:06 PM
  •  The scenario you describe is possible if all the folks in your workgroup have accounts on, and can log into the 10 PCs. Each of them can install our client bits [our installs are per-user] on the PCs and add the device to their mesh -- you'll end up with each developer having their own mesh of 10 devices, the devices just all happen to be the same set of computers. The developers can then share a Live Folder, with each person mapping their instance of the Live Folder to a different physical directory; changes to the Live Folder will be reflected in each developer's copy of the Live Folder. 
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:46 AM