none
Reinstallation of WindowsXP Professional - Need some help before I do anything RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have purchased a computer and would like to clear the hard drive and start from scratch. There is a bunch of small programs that it came with, but I do not want them taking up my space and operating when I never use them. I have tried to go in and uninstall them, but they never seem to erase/uninstall. What I would like to do is clear the hard drive and then reinstall WindowsXP Professional which is what it came with. It's a valid program and the Product Key sticker is on the computer, but I do not have the CD. What do I need to do before I clear the hard drive? I know I need a copy of WindowsXP Professional and I do have one, but I don't want to clear my hard drive and then find out that my Product Key is only for a certain version of it and my computer will not accept it. I bought this computer from an old friend and can't get in touch with him to find out anything. I'm stuck. The last thing that I want to do is clear my hard drive and then find out I will be forced to buy a second version of WindowsXP Is there a way I can check to make sure the Product Key will work? If so, do I have to "uninstall" Windows some how so that the Product Key works? I don't want to do this and then go to reinstall it and find out it says that the Product Key has already been used and can't be used for 2 computers, when it's only being used for one.

I feel like an idiot, but I would appreciate any help.

Thank You,
    Sean

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:19 PM

Answers