Power Pack 1 Error: This update can only be installed once server setup has completed. RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I go to install the RTM version on my home server I get the error

---------------------------

KB944289 Setup Error

This update can only be installed once server setup has completed.

OK  

Did something get corrupt on my server?

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:33 PM

All replies

• It certainly sounds like either you didn't complete the original installation, or something has failed. Have you checked the server logs to see if any errors show?

You could always run a Re-Install to ensure that everything is OK 

Colin

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:17 PM
  • I don't see any errors.  I rather not reinstall, I was hoping there was a script or something in the registry I could reset so it regonizes it as a windows home server machine.  I think it views it is a nornal windows server 2003 machine instead.

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:46 PM
  • From how that sounds, the initial installation never finished.
    WHS installs quite a bit differently than, say, XP does (actually, it's a lot like how Small Business Server 2003 installs) - multiple reboots, and a rather long Setup routine after the core OS has installed.
    Best suggestion is to boot from your WHS DVD, and run a Server Reinstallation (you should be handed the choice.  If you aren't, STOP!)  Doing this, all of your data will be preserved; you'll just need to recreate your user accounts and reinstall any add-ins that you might have.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:10 AM
  •  cuppie wrote:
    From how that sounds, the initial installation never finished.
    WHS installs quite a bit differently than, say, XP does (actually, it's a lot like how Small Business Server 2003 installs) - multiple reboots, and a rather long Setup routine after the core OS has installed.
    Best suggestion is to boot from your WHS DVD, and run a Server Reinstallation (you should be handed the choice.  If you aren't, STOP!)  Doing this, all of your data will be preserved; you'll just need to recreate your user accounts and reinstall any add-ins that you might have.

In addition to what Cuppie said, make sure to leave the DVD in the drive through the entire installation process (meaning don't take the DVD out until you see the Welcome screen).

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:05 AM