Windows 10 Upgrade with Money 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 8.1 with Money 2007, and they work okay together. I am considering upgrading to Windows 10, tomorrow being the last day at no charge. I searched the Forum to see how Money 2007 got along with Windows 10, and found many folks seemed to have issues after installing W 10, while others did not. I'd rather stay with W 8.1 (and keep working with my 15 years of data) than install W 10 and have to deal with registry changes and re-installs of Money, and possibly not be able to use Money again. (Tech skills are not my strength.) 

So I'd really appreciate any candid feedback as to what problems, if any, still exist between W 10 and Money 2007, and thoughts on whether to proceed with the OS upgrade.

Thank you very much!

Rick

Friday, July 29, 2016 12:57 AM

All replies

• All versions of Microsoft Money work under Windows 10. You can upgrade, free, to Money Sunset - see the second post in this forum.

No registry changes are needed. The change was only needed before the first cumulative update to Windows 10 in August 2015. If you upgrade now the newer version of Windows 10 you will install does not need the change at all.

If you intend to upgrade Windows from 8.1 to 10 check first that your hardware will work. If your system is fairly recent there should be no problems. Check on your system manufacturer's forums. Not that "not supported" by the manufacturer just means that the manufacturer will not help, not that Windows 10 will not work well. If there are no official Windows 10 drivers Windows 8.1 drivers will work.

Windows systems accumulate errors over time and a clean install from time to time can appear to work wonders when these are eliminated. If there are any serious errors in your system these can cause problems with a Windows version upgrade.

I hope you have external backups of all your data, not just your Money file. With these you can reinstall clean either Windows 8.1 or 10 and recover all your data. There are many who find, too late, that they have lost their data when their hard disk fails.

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:50 AM
  • The only changes needed to get Money Sunset working in Windows 10 is to ensure that you first get all the Windows 10 updates installed before you try to run Money. Also, see the first sticky post to get a link to a new version of mnyob99.dll which you will need to replace the existing version that is installed by Sunset. DO NOT MAKE ANY REGISTRY CHANGES.

Keep copies of the Sunset installation download, and the repaired mnyob99.dll file in case you ever need to install it again in the future.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Friday, July 29, 2016 5:59 PM
  • DominicP and BobSmiley, thank you both very much. I use Money 2007, not Sunset.  The W 10 page indicates most programs will be retained after W 10 is installed.  But if not, I had planned to reinstall 2007, not Sunset.  Will I still have to replace that file Bob mentions?

Thanks again.

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:32 PM
  • You most likely will have to replace that file. Unfortunately, there is no location where you can download a patched version for Money 2007. You will know if you suddenly have Money crash on you, or refuse to open. This usually happens when you create a new payee, either while entering a new transaction, or when a new payee name is downloaded from a bank in a QIF, OFX or QFX file that you import.

You must use a file that is the same as the one installed by your version (and SKU - STD, DLX, BIZ) with only a couple of bytes changed. You cannot use a file from a different version or SKU, it is not compatible. It may appear to work, but eventually, you will corrupt your installation and maybe your data.

Sunset has many improvements over 2007, including improvements in Investments and the ability to clean up broken bills (I believe that the bills cleanup was added in 2008, but I don't have a working copy of 2007 to verify).

Bob - MSN Mobile

Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:28 PM
  • On that mnyoj99.dll patch thread, see the posts from April 25, 2016.

I don't know an advantage to Money 2007 over Sunset, but I could be missing something.

Saturday, July 30, 2016 6:52 PM