Moving hard drive to different computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a computer that will run WHS easily however the MB does not support booting from a dvd. So is it possible to install the server software on this HD in another computer that supports booting from a dvd and then move that HD to the computer that I want to use for the server.

I realize by moving the HD, that I may encounter driver issues that may cause this not to work or make the move more of a hassle than it's worth.

Scott.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:28 PM

Answers

• Update: I found out that the DVD that I burned was no good. For some reason Nero will not burn this .iso currectly, so I found another file that did. So now I am installing WHS on the system/MB that I thought would not boot from a DVD. Install is going well so far.

Scott.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:27 PM

All replies

• good question.  Joel has a placeholder in the FAQ section for hardware replacement.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286195&SiteID=50

I was contemplating swapping drives and decided to just use a different drive and do a new install.  Of course I'll have to manually move all my files and won't retain any old backups, etc.  blech

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Update: I found out that the DVD that I burned was no good. For some reason Nero will not burn this .iso currectly, so I found another file that did. So now I am installing WHS on the system/MB that I thought would not boot from a DVD. Install is going well so far.

Scott.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:27 PM