RAID 5 and Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers - Comments appreciated before Operating System install process begins RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if not the right way to do this, but getting ready to install and looking for all the latest minute advise before I start.  I ran the idea past the group in the ASUS Motherboard forum ASUS MB (P8H67-M PRO.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110328123849617&board_id=1&model=P8H67-M+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

The part that particularly unclear is whether or not any drivers are loaded prior to install of the O/S, or just stick with CTL-I and install the RST drivers after install.

Comments or additional advice truly appreciated.  Upon receiving, I'll follow and let you know!

Thanks,

Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:24 AM

Answers

• Consult with Asus. Your motherboard manual will tell you if drivers are needed to install Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 on a RAID array, and if so, exactly how to do so.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:02 AM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:43 AM

All replies

• Consult with Asus. Your motherboard manual will tell you if drivers are needed to install Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 on a RAID array, and if so, exactly how to do so.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:02 AM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:43 AM
  • Thanks Ken, the manual has 2 sentences specific to this.  Just got my board so will register and shoot them something.  Great forum folks.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:02 AM
  • I did use an Asrock H67M board with the Intel Rapid storage Technology. I set up Raid 1 in Bios using CTRL -I. The WHS 2011 (Windows 2008 R2) already included the necessary drivers. I did not have to install any drivers during setup.  

However, my motherboard manual recommended that the intel rapid storage and drivers be reinstalled after system installation in order to access the intel console from the desktop.  

Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Thanks folks, I got all 5 HD across the Sata ii and Sata iii ports to work fine.  I've got 7.452 TB usable of reporting 9.315, which makes sense as 1.863TB=1HD.  Couple things to note:

As I learned on the MB/Asus thread for my MB, I had to <CTL> I at least 5 or 6 times and power down twice before I finally got  in to the RAID menu during POSTing.  I almost gave up.

After I got my 5 HD correctly configured in the RAID menu, continued on through the WHS install process choosing my 160 GB SSD for the OS.  Right after install, I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers v. 10.1.0.1008, dated 12/15/2010 Status - Latest.  The program went right to work Initializing the Array.  Note that after 7 hours it's 13% done, so it's going to take a while.

Also, be sure to go in to your disk Management and have Windows recognize the Array.

After that I noticed that during setup, whs split my SSD in to two partitions, C: for the OS and D: for the Server Folders.  After I got the Array setup up I went in to the "Dashboard" and "moved" the Server Folders over from the SSD to the Array before I reclaimed the SSD D: space back in to 1 partition as C:

Update--Yes, it takes a long time for this massive array to be initialized for the 1st time.  It's done and working great, it took 90 hours. 
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:00 PM