Is It Possible To Add A Previously Removed Hard Disk Back Without Losing Data On The Disk? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's what happened:

1. Internal HD A in WHS is almost full
    2. I attached an external HD B and started the WHS HD removal wizard on HD A.
    3. The Wizard ran well. When all was done, I shut down the system and took out HD A
    4. After reboot, somehow WHS console shows HD B as unmanaged. At this point, I made a grave mistake (about 2 am last night, brain not functioning) by choosing to add HD B back to the storage pool. 
    5. WHS formatted HD B and added it back to storage pool. 
    6. So, I now have a HD B that is empty, and a HD A that is marked as REMOVED.But with data recovery software, I can see that all the data are still recoverable on HD A.
    7. Now the question: can I recover all the data back to HD B, and then add HD B back to WHS? Currently, upon booting, WHS is complaining that HD B is missing. Does this mean once I restore data from HD A to HD B, I'll be able to tell WHS that I have found the missing HD B it's complaining about? If so, how?

Thanks a lot for your attention and any/all help will be greatly appreciated! 
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:33 AM

All replies

• Here's what happened:

3. The Wizard ran well. When all was done, I shut down the system and took out HD A
    4. After reboot, somehow WHS console shows HD B as unmanaged. At this point, I made a grave mistake (about 2 am last night, brain not functioning) by choosing to add HD B back to the storage pool. 
    6. So, I now have a HD B that is empty, and a HD A that is marked as REMOVED.But with data recovery software, I can see that all the data are still recoverable on HD A.
    7. Now the question: can I recover all the data back to HD B, and then add HD B back to WHS? Currently, upon booting, WHS is complaining that HD B is missing. Does this mean once I restore data from HD A to HD B, I'll be able to tell WHS that I have found the missing HD B it's complaining about? If so, how?

No.  When you add a hard drive, WHS automatically formats it.  You will need to use your data recovery software to copy the data to a spare drive somewhere else, add drive B back to the storage pool, then copy everything from your spare drive back to the server through the shares.  (Also, I would strongly advise against using external drives as part of your storage pool.)
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Here's what happened:

No.  When you add a hard drive, WHS automatically formats it.  You will need to use your data recovery software to copy the data to a spare drive somewhere else, add drive B back to the storage pool, then copy everything from your spare drive back to the server through the shares.  (Also, I would strongly advise against using external drives as part of your storage pool.)

Thanks a lot for the reply. One follow-up question: before all the above happened, I had folder duplication on for all my data folders. What happened so far is pretty much the same as losing a hard drive from the storage pool. Since I had folder duplication on, does that mean I can still recover all the data from the remaining hard drives? If so, how?

Thanks again. 

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the reply. One follow-up question: before all the above happened, I had folder duplication on for all my data folders. What happened so far is pretty much the same as losing a hard drive from the storage pool. Since I had folder duplication on, does that mean I can still recover all the data from the remaining hard drives? If so, how?

Thanks again. 

Did you at any point ever disable Folder Duplication on any share?  If not, then the data should still be there without having to do anything.
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 9:26 PM