WHS Disk Management Add-In (Updated to v1.0.8.6) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Windows Home Server Disk Management

Latest version: 1.0.8.6

http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/WHSDiskManagement/

Windows Home Server Disk Management is an Add-In for Microsoft Windows Home Server. This Add-In is designed for users who need more detail about their server's storage status than what the standard WHS Server Storage interface provides.

Features:

• Detailed information for each disk in your Windows Home Server
    • Real-time temperature and activity monitoring
    • Capacity indicators for individual disks
    • Customizable disk names
    • Customizable 3D wireframe representation of your server

You can use the information provided by Disk Management to identify, troubleshoot, and monitor disks inside your server.

After building a 3D wireframe representation of your server using Disk Management, you can select disks or drive bays to quickly identify the location and status of physical hard drives. The 3D wireframe can be rotated, moved, and zoomed in real-time.

Significant Changes:

New 3D server wireframe
    - fully rotatable and zoomable in real-time
    - can add custom drive bay sizes at any location
    - all drive bays are movable and rotatable relative to the server
    - multi-drive bays can have any number of bays
    - export your server wireframe configuration to share with others

Customisable alert thresholds for disk and Storage Pool usage
    - change the percentage values for green/yellow/red storage warnings

Column sort in main listview
    - change the sort order of your disks based on any column
    - servers with 10+ disks now sort correctly

Navigating the new wireframe

On the main tab, unlock the wireframe by clicking the padlock icon (Settings tab is unlocked by default), then use the following mouse inputs and keyboard shortcuts:

- Use Left-click to select a drive bay
    - Use Right-click to rotate
    - Use Right-click + CTRL to move
    - Use Mousewheel or Right-click + SHIFT to zoom

Upgrading from 1.0.7.x to 1.0.8.x

The new 3D server wireframe code means that your old server wireframe will not be upgraded; you will need to reconfigure your server wireframe for the new system from a blank template.

The new wireframe uses a different file for storing settings, so your previous wireframe will be retained if you decide to go back to the old 1.0.7.x version.

Version History:

Fixed: Fixed crash if removing last internal drive bay and external drive bays still remain. User is prompted to remove external drive bays first.

Added: Custom-sized Multi-disk Bays

Added: Add-In is now ready for localisation (any takes for translations?)
    Added: Wireframe colours manually customisable (whsdiskmgt.serverwireframe.xml, use valid HTML RGB codes or colour names, only save with Notepad in UTF-8)
    Changed: Now disallow adding external disks until at least one internal disk is added
    Fixed: Cleaned up wireframe wizard text
    Fixed: External drive path showing as "Drive Path:"

Added: Non-disk drivebay (DVD etc) designation for wireframe
    Added: Empty/unconfigured wireframe now shows "click here" text on Main tab
    Added: Can manually edit case dimensions (MarginX, MarginY, MarginZ in whsdiskmgt.serverwireframe.xml; only save with Notepad in UTF-8)
    Changed: A handful of icons ("Refreshing" indicator in particular is now much more Web 2.0)
    Fixed: Crash in Edit on page4 if path doesn't exist
    Fixed: Crash in Edit on page3 when unchecking Empty if path does not exist
    Fixed: Crash in Add on page2 if returning from page3 (next is grayed out, combobox is unselected, selecting = crash)
    Fixed: Full refresh while monitoring is enabled stopped temp/activity monitoring
    Fixed: Starting storage wizards while monitoring is enabled stopped temp/activity monitoring

Added: Can now sort by column in the Main tab ListView (click column header for ASC, click again for DESC)
    Added: Mousewheel zooms wireframe
    Added: Missing disk path renders drive bay red
    Added: Drive paths for External disks now include disk GUIDs (mulitple external disks on the same controller should now highlight individually)
    - disk may change GUID on add
    - disk may change GUID on remove
    - disk may change GUID on adding drive letter
    Changed: Hid Repair toolbar button and context menu item (they were never hooked up)
    Changed: Wireframe no longer reloads from saved XML after every selection change on Main tab (allows you to leave the wireframe rotated without saving changes)
    Fixed: Sort order for disks numbered 10+ should now be correct
    Fixed: Resolved crash on startup if a disk was missing
    Fixed: Resolved crash while editing drive bay if disk was missing from path
    Fixed: Now correctly updating ListView disk usage bar for non-pool disks
    Fixed: Now correctly refreshing GUI after selecting non-empty drive bay with missing disk

Added: Drive bays can now share a drive path (to represent a RAID volume) - check the "Show all drive paths" box
    Changed: Now cannot select an empty drive bay on the main tab
    Fixed: Clicking arrows in advanced mode no longer crashes the Console if you haven't created the drive bay yet
    Fixed: First drive bay in a multi-bay can now be marked as empty
    Fixed: Disk usage bar now updates correctly when deselecting a drive bay on the main tab

Added: New 3D server wireframe system
    Added: Customisable alert thresholds for disk and storage pool usage
    Added: Add enable/disable for monitoring in Settings
    Changed: Change wireframe creation to wizard system
    Changed: Change disk usage bars to be more attractive

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:27 PM

All replies

• If you're having issues with disk identification, please run the following script and post the results here. There's a million combinations of disk controllers, settings, and ports, and having this information makes it easier for me to fix edge-cases.

www.idolatry.org/uploads/disk_info.vbs

1) Start --> Run --> CMD

2) Change to the folder you downloaded the script to

3) cscript disk_info.vbs > disk_info.txt

4) Copy the contents of disk_info.txt

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:41 PM
  • This is a very nice add-in!!!. I'm running a mixture of motherboard IDE, a 4 channel IDE RAID controller (without the RAID running) and a couple of USB cards with external drives. It has identified enough for me to even differentiate the two USB cards (it helps not to have the same manufacturer / chipset). All 7 drives identified with enough information for me to find which is which. Given that I have two pairs of identical drives, this is a great help.

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Indeed a nice add-in. It tells you things you were probably better off not knowing! Like this.

I have 4 500GB drives. System drive is connected to onboard SATA, other 3 are connected to a PCI controller.

Server storage tells me Shared Folders = 58GB, Duplication = 58GB (stands to reason as all shared folders have dup turned on), Backups = 179GB, System = 20GB, Free space = 1.5TB. None of this is scary.

This add-in says Disk0 = 6%, Disk1 = 59%, Disk2 = 6%, Disk3 = 6%. Is that 59% because of the backups? That seems really high, my basic maths and logic would suggest that Backups use 3x what Folders do so should be more like 6%*3 + the 6% from duplication to give tops 24% utilisation on Disk1. Whats using all the rest?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:26 AM
  • To be honest, the disk usage calculations are pretty opaque.

There isn't any way to link volume mount points (which is what data volumes are in WHS, they're not "partitions" with a drive letter associated) with physical disks in WMI, so I'm relying on a WHS API to return me the correct values.

I haven't had a close look at how WHS is getting the used space number.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:54 AM
  •  

I agree this is a very nice add-in. My Home Server is running thirteen hard drives. Eleven of them in the pool and three used for backup stuff.

A few issues...

1) Like KiwiFidge, I too find a difference between what Server Storage show 51% used and what your add-in shows 70% used. Which is right?

2) I know I have quite a few hard drives but it takes approximately 1 1/2 minutes for the results to show up. This is a long time to wait, there must be a way to speed it up? If not, maybe a progress bar...

3) Below the computer image where it tells you hard disk and controller information. The information for the controller is long enough to run off the edge of the window, so I can't see what controller port the drive is on.

4) Can you allow us to edit the drives name in the Disk Name column? It could even be a new column just for that purpose.

5) Is there a way to show the % used on the drives that haven't been added to the drive pool also?

Again great add-in. I curious on how your going to tie the hard drive list to the computer image. Looking forward to your next revision!

Thanks,

Jay

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:12 AM
  • Could the storage difference be due to the Shadow Copies that are being stored?  I've noticed on my machine, that I have "View Previous Versions" when I'm navigating a WHS Share from a client.  I've read somewhere that WHS manages the space used by previous versions based on free space.  I've also read places that this feature is not on by default, but I have not turned it on.

Something to look into.

MB

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

The disk usage is definitely something I need to look into; I think mb1234 is on to something. I believe my add-in is more accurate than the WHS Server Storage tab; if I compare my add-in to Computer Management --> Disk Management, my values are pretty much dead on.

Speed of the WMI query is something I'll be working on, definitely. Right now I'm using a GetRelated() call in the framework that I'm sure does a few more interations than are needed. Basic functionality is going in first, then I'll work on speeding it up.

I like the idea of the progress bar and editing the name of the disk, thanks for the idea Jay. Those features will probably go along with the speed increases. And yeah, the "details" window will be changing; it's mostly just a mock-up right now.

As for viewing the % free etc of drives not added to the WHS storage pool, that's doable. I'll look at adding that in with the next revision.

Could you all check Computer Management for me and see if the add-in is reporting similar values for disk usage?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Idolatry,

I just did a compare between Drive Manager and your add-in. Of my eleven pooled drives, your add-in usage results are all are within 1% (per drive) of Drive Manager. That means Server Storage is considerably off or mis-understood. I think an explanation by the Windows Home Server Team would be helpful...

I was also thinking about how you might coordinate the graphic of the computer and drives image realitive to your drive table. If you create a colored and number rectangle for each drive in your table and then show a user selectable front or side image of a computer, then let the user drag the different drive rectangles to the appropriate location of each drive in their computer. All you add-in would have to do is then remember the xy location of each rectangle. Just an idea...

Thanks,

Jay            

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Thanks for that Jay.

The drag-and-drop functionality won't be there in the next revision, but I'm doing pretty much what you describe; associating a drive path (rather than a drive) with each drive bay. If a user plugs a different drive into the same path, I'm assuming that it's in the same drive bay.

The case layout will be completely user-configurable of course.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:58 AM
  • This is an absolutely great add-in!

Much better than what I was trying to put together to do a similar job.

Shame about the speed... however I’m guessing you’ll find some ways to improve it.

Also... gotta love a dev who understands and blogs about 4GW.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:06 AM
  •  Brendan Grant wrote:
    Also... gotta love a dev who understands and blogs about 4GW.

One of my pet peeves about the tech industry is that we've been pushing the whole "digital life" on people without giving them any way to manage the GB and GB of data they build up.

If dad loses his PC, that's the family's entire history gone. Lost to future generations. Flickr or Youtube or whatever getting hacked and destroyed is a major systempunkt for us.

I'm loving WHS because MS is actually trying to address that core issue. They're making every family that much more self-sufficient and resilient. People need to be responsible for the data that matters to them.

And thanks Smile

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:29 AM
  • Really nice, well done.

How hard would it be to add SMART information for the disks?  Or are you reliant on the WHS API?  That would be a killer feature for me.

Good job, anyway.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:28 AM
  • SMART status is availble in WMI, but I can't locate any info on what that failure reason codes in MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus actually correspond to (docs say its "vendor specific"). You're left with a true/false field that WMI sets to true if SMART thinks the disk is about to fail.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with SMART in the past. Have you had more success? How would you want the info displayed?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:53 AM
  • Any chance of showing the serial number of the drives?

This would be pretty invaluable for those of use with a number of identical drives when one goes bad. 

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:58 AM
  •  Idolatry wrote:

SMART status is availble in WMI, but I can't locate any info on what that failure reason codes in MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus actually correspond to (docs say its "vendor specific"). You're left with a true/false field that WMI sets to true if SMART thinks the disk is about to fail.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with SMART in the past. Have you had more success? How would you want the info displayed?

Hmm, yeah I guess I was hoping for more information like you get in a product like this:

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

but as you've said you're resticted by WMI. 

I think WHS gives you a simple 'this drive is about the fail' message, which I assume is via WMI?

I can't say I've had success or failure with SMART as I've never had a SMART-enabled drive fail on me - only happened when I used RAID, which didn't give me SMART info.  It's just extra 'nice to know' information, isn't it?

I had a google for more MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus but couldn't find anything more on MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictData - maybe someone from MS could chime in? 
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Tried it, but it hung up my console when I selected the tab ( a back-up was running at the time).  Machine Dell Dimension 2400, 1.25GB RAM 2.6Ghz Celeron processor.

Uninstalled.

I don't mind running diagnostics for you if you have any ... :-)

Disks:

2 x Maxtor 125GB internal IDE
    1 x WD 300GB internal IDE
    1 x Medion 250GB external USB
    1 x Seagate 750GB external USB

+
    1 LaCie 1TB extenal USB   Non-storage HD - not added to the system as I use a non home server share on this one

Which may be causing problems to your utility?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:15 PM
  • The download link is dead... Do you have another link?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:59 PM
  •  Daedelus wrote:

Any chance of showing the serial number of the drives?

This would be pretty invaluable for those of use with a number of identical drives when one goes bad. 

Depending on the drive and the controller, sometimes Windows can't get the serial number of the disk. I'll look at adding it, but the more reliable way of identifying a disk is to know which port on the controller it's plugged into.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  ferpferp wrote:
    Hmm, yeah I guess I was hoping for more information like you get in a product like this:

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

but as you've said you're resticted by WMI. 

WMI gives me that list of values, but I'm not sure how useful the information is.

For example, if "Power Cycle Count" is not "OK", what do we do with the disk? Because the SMART chip on the disk is doing all the calculations, each vendor is going to have different thresholds for what could constitute a failure scenario; we're left with that true/false field and are relying on the SMART chip to tell us when to pull the disk.

I do agree that knowing that SMART is telling us the disk is dying is a good idea Smile

I don't know exactly what WHS is looking at for a failing disk. Probably does include the WMI FailurePredictStatus, but I need to look into it.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:17 PM
  •  SlasherMCT wrote:
    Tried it, but it hung up my console when I selected the tab ( a back-up was running at the time).  Machine Dell Dimension 2400, 1.25GB RAM 2.6Ghz Celeron processor.

Uninstalled.

I don't mind running diagnostics for you if you have any ... :-)

Disks:

2 x Maxtor 125GB internal IDE
    1 x WD 300GB internal IDE
    1 x Medion 250GB external USB
    1 x Seagate 750GB external USB

+
    1 LaCie 1TB extenal USB   Non-storage HD - not added to the system as I use a non home server share on this one

Which may be causing problems to your utility?

Thanks for testing.

The WMI crawl can take more than a minute, during which time the add-in could look like it locked up. Could you run the vbs script from the beginning of this thread? Those results would tell me more.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:19 PM
  •  Claes Hellgren wrote:
    The download link is dead... Do you have another link?

Link is working fine for me. Anyone else having problems?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Looking at the Disk #'s they don't seem to match to the port numbers - should they have a relation ?

As seen in WHS :

WD250 Non WHS    Disk 0
    ST500 WHS        Disk 1
    WD500 WHS        Disk 2
    WD500 Non WHS    Disk 3
    ST320 WHS System Disk 4

Physical :

WD320 WHS System SATA0  
    ST500 WHS        SATA1  
    WD500 WHS        SATA2  
    WD500 Non WHS    SATA3  
    WD250 Non WHS    EIDE(M) 

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Script ran fine,  detecting everything immediately.
    I can't be bothered to cut and paste every response out of all of those dialog boxes though!  If you alter the script to dump the output to a text file I am happy to post that
    :-)
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Slasher-

I believe the instructions contained how to export the results to a text file:

1) Start --> Run --> CMD

3) cscript disk_info.vbs > disk_info.txt

4) Copy the contents of disk_info.txt

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:05 PM
  •  Daedelus wrote:

Looking at the Disk #'s they don't seem to match to the port numbers - should they have a relation ?

Not necessarily. The disk number is the value Windows assigns to the disk. If you have a look at Computer Management --> Disk Management from the WHS desktop, you'll see that the disk numbers match there.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Gasp!  You want me to read the instructions, you have a high opinion of my attention span!

Caption: Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Description: Disk drive
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2
    Index: 2
    Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives)
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2
    Size: 122935034880
    InterfaceType: IDE
    SCSIBus: 0
    SCSILogicalUnit: 0
    SCSIPort: 1
    SCSITargetId: 1
    Caption: Maxtor 6Y120L0
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
    Index: 0
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
    Size: 122935034880
    SCSIPort: 0
    SCSITargetId: 0
    Caption: ST3320620A
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
    Index: 1
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
    Size: 320070320640
    Caption: LaCie BigDisk USB Device
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4
    Index: 4
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4
    Size: 1000210498560
    InterfaceType: USB
    SCSIBus:
    SCSILogicalUnit:
    SCSIPort:
    SCSITargetId:
    Caption: ST375064 0A USB Device
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE5
    Index: 5
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE5
    Size: 750153761280
    SCSIBus:
    SCSILogicalUnit:
    SCSIPort:
    SCSITargetId:
    Caption: WDC WD25 00JB-00GVC0 USB Device
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3
    Index: 3
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3
    Size: 250059350016
    SCSIBus:
    SCSILogicalUnit:
    SCSIPort:
    SCSITargetId:

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Wow, better than 600 downloads inside of 36 hours. Thanks for the extra information.

I've got my head down, plowing through the case configuration stuff. No code updates for you yet, just this teaser:

http://www.idolatry.org/uploads/WHSDiskManagement.Teaser.jpg

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:38 AM
  • That looks sweeeeeet.  Great work!
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:44 AM
  • The graphic looks great!! Have you considered external disks and how they might be shown?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:39 PM
  • I have considered external disks, yes. I still haven't come to a decision, because there's a couple of ways to think about it:

1) External disks are usually USB, and while I can tell which USB controller they're connected to, I can't tell which port. Some people have different PCI USB controllers that are easy to identify, some people will have onboard USB controllers than service ports on the front and rear of the case; that makes it difficult to know which disk is where. Plus, the add-in was originally designed to aid in identifying internal physical disks.

2) It'd be really cool to show USB disks Wink

So I'm not sure yet. For now, external disks won't have a special classification. Some hotswap drive bays use USB connections internally, so you'll have the opportunity to assign a USB controller end-point to a position in the wireframe, but you won't be able to mark it as "outside the case."

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Identifying drives when Identical is an issue, I wonder if there is a way before a failure to be able to unplug a drive at a time and have it show as missing then add your own tag to the drive physically and in WHS. The best option would be to add a new drive and before you add it in WHS you get the option to tag it with your own comments or description or serial. The problem I have found is sometimes these new motherboards and some controllers don't logically order the drives to what is written on the controller or motherboard.

I never dreamed WHS would not have a way to clearly identify which drive was faulty particularly if you have a couple of controllers and 5 drives.

This is probably an issue for people like me that build their own WHS from bits and pieces

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:04 AM
  •  

Hi there.

This addin is looking pretty good.  I just wish that this functionality had been built in from day 1.

I ran your script and here are the results:

Caption: SAMSUNG HD501LJ
    DeviceID:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
    Name:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
    Size: 500105249280
    Caption: ST3320620AS
    DeviceID:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3
    Name:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3
    SCSIPort: 3
    DeviceID:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4
    Name:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4
    Caption: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1
    DeviceID:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
    Name:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
    Size: 250056737280
    Caption: WDC WD2500JS-19NCB1
    DeviceID:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2
    Name:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2
    SCSIPort: 2
    Caption: SATA ST316081 SCSI Disk Device
    DeviceID:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE5
    Name:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE5
    Size: 160039272960
    InterfaceType: SCSI
    SCSIPort: 4
    Caption: SATA ST316081 SCSI Disk Device
    DeviceID:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
    Index: 6
    Name:
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
    Size: 160039272960
    InterfaceType: SCSI

That is the order that I installed the drives.

But I installed them on the following SATA Ports (as confirmed in the BIOS)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R

(Northbridge) (Intel® G33 Express Chipset)

1. Samsung 500GB (#0)

2. N/A (#1)

3. Seagate 320GB (#2)

4. Seagate 320GB (#3)

5. WD 250GB (#4)

6. WD 250GB (#5)

--

(Southbridge) (Intel® ICH9R)

7. Seagate 160GB (#0)

8. Seagate 160GB (#1)

All HDDs are accessible from the front using removable HDD bays.  I even labelled them according to the SATA Port numbers.

I'm hoping that I can match up the identical drives with their port numbers.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:53 PM
  • G'day,

I installed the add in. The console tab works fine (except it shows May sata disks as IDE).

In the settings window in the "Disk Management" page it is blank.

I am unable to set up the picture in the console to suit my setup.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:34 AM
  •  bucket23 wrote:

In the settings window in the "Disk Management" page it is blank.

I am unable to set up the picture in the console to suit my setup.

Thanks in advance.

That functionality hasn't been released yet Smile The picture was just a teaser.

I'm pretty close to releasing the next revision, which will enable those features.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Hi Idolatry,

Great work on your add-inSmile

I gathered this in an effort to help..(not sure if it does)

The top groups are pulled from Activesmart 2.52 Smile and the bottom is your script Smile

SL

Disk 0 - 750
    ST3750640A
    5QD00Q4A

Disk 1 - 500
    ST3500630A
    9QG2A35A

Disk 2 - 320
    ST3320620AS
    5QF0T9VE

Disk 3 - 500
    ST3500630AS
    9QG3T4R0

Disk 4 - 750
    ST3750640AS
    5QD097BX

Disk 5 - 500
    ST3500630AS
    9QG1W9VK

Disk 6 - 500
    ST3500630AS
    9QG0Z80T

Disk 7 - 500
    ST3500630AS
    9QG0Z7VB

Disk 8 - 750
    ST3750640NS
    3QD1HJPN

Disk 9 - 750
    ST3750330AS
    5QK02C9R

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Caption: ST3500630AS
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE7
    Index: 7
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE7
    Caption: ST3500630A
    Caption: ST3750330AS
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE9
    Index: 9
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE9
    SCSIPort: 5
    Caption: ST3750640AS
    Caption: ST3750640A
    Caption: ST3750640NS
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE8
    Index: 8
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE8
    SCSIPort: 5

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Is the Remove button under Disk Managemetn functional?

Thanks Smile

SL

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:02 AM
  •  Stacy Laboucane wrote:

Is the Remove button under Disk Managemetn functional?

Thanks

SL

Hi Stacy, thanks for the info above. Yes, "Remove" is working in the currently available version of the add-in.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Super you the man Smile

If you ever retail this thing i will pay for it Smile

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:14 AM
  • Hi Idoltary

Thought you might like to read in on this thread i started about a back up error:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2708934&SiteID=50&mode=1

Smile

SL

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  Stacy Laboucane wrote:

Hi Idoltary

Thought you might like to read in on this thread i started about a back up error:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2708934&SiteID=50&mode=1

SL

Thanks Stacy. I've pulled the download and am investigating.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:18 PM
  •  

Idolatry,

Um sorry for the consistant mispelling of your handle ..Smile

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:59 PM
  • No worries, I do it too sometimes Wink

Thanks for being the guinea pig; I'm pretty sure I've isolated the issue. I'll probably release the next version later today, which will include the fix for the backup database problems.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Update posted, with release notes. This is a mandatory update to resolve a potential data-loss issue.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Great tool!  Nice job so far!

I am, howerver, having a problem with the latest upate.  When I go into "Settings" to setup my drive bays, I am not seeing any data in the "Type" drop down.

Is it a bug, or did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:04 AM
  •  dstojak wrote:
    Great tool!  Nice job so far!

I am, howerver, having a problem with the latest upate.  When I go into "Settings" to setup my drive bays, I am not seeing any data in the "Type" drop down.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure. Cancel the settings page, go into the main tab; do all the drives load correctly in the list?

On the WHS, check for the presence of this folder: D:\folders\{AD6D2DAD-BBCB-4C4D-878C-A8A19935FD0A}. Is it there? Are there any XML files in it?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Installed the addin.

It works like a treat, so far. I haven't tried the removal option. I just like to see my set up.

Is there a way to change the order of the bays, i.e. the top drive being number one the then going down.

My setup has the system drive (number one) at the top and not at the bottom as is the way the addin works now.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:15 AM
  • I tried installing the new version v1.0.1 on an EX475 that never had the previous version installed, and I am getting the exact same thing! Yes there is a D:\folders\{AD6D2DAD-BBCB-4C4D-878C-A8A19935FD0A}. and it has three files in it, whsdiskmgt.appsettings.xml (1KB), whsdiskmgt.diskdrivelist.xml (2KB),  whsdiskmgt.drivebaysettings.xml (1KB).

whsdiskmgt.drivebaysettings.xml contains;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><ArrayOfDriveBay xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" />

whsdiskmgt.diskdrivelist.xml contains;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><ArrayOfDiskDrive xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><DiskDrive><DiskID>0</DiskID><DiskName>ST350063 0AS SCSI Disk Device</DiskName><ID>81ad0726-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</ID><DiskRole>SystemDisk</DiskRole><DiskStatus>QSM_OS_HEALTHY</DiskStatus>

<DiskStatusTest>Healthy</DiskStatusTest><DiskCapacity>500107862016</DiskCapacity>

<DiskUsedSpace>82478350336</DiskUsedSpace><DiskInterface>SCSI</DiskInterface><DiskPath>

<DriveController>SiS 0182/1182 RAID Controller</DriveController><SCSIPort>0</SCSIPort><SCSIBus>0</SCSIBus><SCSITarget>0</SCSITarget>

<SCSILun>0</SCSILun></DiskPath><IsConnected>true</IsConnected><IsExternal>false</IsExternal>

<IsHidden>false</IsHidden><IsUsedByBackupDatabase>false</IsUsedByBackupDatabase></DiskDrive>

<DiskDrive><DiskID>1</DiskID><DiskName>ST350063 0AS SCSI Disk Device</DiskName>

<ID>45241db1-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</ID><DiskRole>StorageDisk</DiskRole>

<DiskStatus>QSM_OS_HEALTHY</DiskStatus><DiskStatusTest>Healthy</DiskStatusTest>

<DiskCapacity>500107862016</DiskCapacity><DiskUsedSpace>473756172288</DiskUsedSpace>

<DiskInterface>SCSI</DiskInterface><DiskPath><DriveController>SiS 0182/1182 RAID Controller</DriveController>

<SCSIPort>0</SCSIPort><SCSIBus>0</SCSIBus><SCSITarget>1</SCSITarget><SCSILun>0</SCSILun>

</DiskPath><IsConnected>true</IsConnected><IsExternal>false</IsExternal><IsHidden>false</IsHidden>

<IsUsedByBackupDatabase>true</IsUsedByBackupDatabase></DiskDrive></ArrayOfDiskDrive>

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:05 PM
  •  Idolatry wrote:

dstojak wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Not sure. Cancel the settings page, go into the main tab; do all the drives load correctly in the list?

On the WHS, check for the presence of this folder: D:\folders\{AD6D2DAD-BBCB-4C4D-878C-A8A19935FD0A}. Is it there? Are there any XML files in it?

All the drives are loaded ok, It seems to be a problem with loading the "Type" dropdown.  I have the folder and 3 XML files (whsdiskmgt.appsettings.xml, whsdiskmgt.diskdrivelist.xml, and whsdiskmgt.drivebaysettings.xml).
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:54 PM
  •  dstojak wrote:
     Idolatry wrote:

dstojak wrote:

Thanks in advance.

All the drives are loaded ok, It seems to be a problem with loading the "Type" dropdown.  I have the folder and 3 XML files (whsdiskmgt.appsettings.xml, whsdiskmgt.diskdrivelist.xml, and whsdiskmgt.drivebaysettings.xml).

Did you by chance have the original version loaded? I'm thinking that as it works for some perhaps it is working when something is left from the install of the 1.0 version, that is not getting installed in the 1.0.1 verson?

Thanks.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Try closing the Console and log in againg

Use the settings link from the "Disk management Tab"

Worked fro me

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:13 PM
  • I've closed and reopened the Console many times with no change at all. I've rebooted the EX475, and no change.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:40 PM
  •  Darkone3 wrote:
    I've closed and reopened the Console many times with no change at all. I've rebooted the EX475, and no change.

That's odd, Darkone3. The code that populates that particular combobox isn't going anything weird. Looking at the logs would help me diagnose the issue:

1) Close the console

2) Open the console, go to the settings tab for Disk Management

3) Verify the Type dropdown is empty

4) Close the console

5) On the server, navigate to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

6) Sort by date and open the latest HomeServerConsole.xxx.log file.

7) Copy and paste any error messages here.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  bucket23 wrote:

Installed the addin.

It works like a treat, so far. I haven't tried the removal option. I just like to see my set up.

Is there a way to change the order of the bays, i.e. the top drive being number one the then going down.

My setup has the system drive (number one) at the top and not at the bottom as is the way the addin works now.

Thanks Smile

The drivebay order isn't related to the ordering or numbering of the physical disks (Disk 0 isn't in Drive Bay 1, necessarily). As long as you associate the correct drive path with the top drive bay, Disk Management will display whatever is connected to that path in the top slot.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:11 PM
  •  Idolatry wrote:

Darkone3 wrote:
    I've closed and reopened the Console many times with no change at all. I've rebooted the EX475, and no change.

That's odd, Darkone3. The code that populates that particular combobox isn't going anything weird. Looking at the logs would help me diagnose the issue:

1) Close the console

2) Open the console, go to the settings tab for Disk Management

3) Verify the Type dropdown is empty

4) Close the console

5) On the server, navigate to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

6) Sort by date and open the latest HomeServerConsole.xxx.log file.

7) Copy and paste any error messages here.

Do you have an address where I can email it to?

Thanks'

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:29 PM
  • (signalnoise)AT(idolatry)DOT(org)

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:59 PM
  • BTW, I did have the previous version of this tool installed before upgrading to the latest version. 

Here is my latest log file:

Created at 1/20/2008 2:15:55 PM
    ***** Started at 1/20/2008 2:15:55 PM ***
    ***** Started at 1/20/2008 2:15:55 PM ***
    [1]080120.141556.8452: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.HomeServerSettingsExtender
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)
    [5]080120.141557.2758: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [5]080120.141557.2758: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [5]080120.141557.2858: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [5]080120.141557.2858: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [9]080120.141557.2858: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [9]080120.141557.2858: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [9]080120.141600.2901: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [9]080120.141600.2901: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080120.141601.5119: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080120.141601.5219: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [13]080120.141608.3317: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [9]080120.141630.2933: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [17]080120.141800.3227: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080120.141921.6196: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.141939.4052: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.141939.4252: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.141939.5053: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    Parameter name: Value
       at System.Windows.Forms.TrackBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DiskMgt.SettingsTabUserControl.SettingsTabUserControl_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnCreateControl()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.SettingsDialog.onSelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs ea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.FancyListView.WndProc(Message& m)
    [18]080120.142100.8223: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080120.142315.5860: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.142318.0195: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.142319.4817: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.142319.5117: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DiskMgt.SettingsTabUserControl.SettingsTabUserControl_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.SettingsDialog.onSelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs ea)
    [1]080120.142329.3458: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.142330.4174: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.142330.4474: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Thanks. That error isn't related to the combobox not being populated, so that's very odd. Having the previous version installed shouldn't be causing the issue; the box is populated at run-time and doesn't rely on any saved settings.

I'll investigate and get back to you.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I can't see any drive types on a fresh new install...I love the idea, would like to see it work. Hope this helps. The setup is (4) 750Gig SATA drives on an AMD X2 system. Will provide specs on make/model on motherboard if you need it. EDIT: the Seagate FreeAgent is NOT part of the pool, it is connected via USB for moving files from my old server to this new one. THanks!

Output from VBScript:

Caption: WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0
    Caption: Seagate FreeAgent Pro USB Device
    SCSIPort:
    SCSIBus:
    SCSITargetId:
    SCSILogicalUnit:

There are 3 XML files in the 'D:\folders\{AD6D2DAD-BBCB-4C4D-878C-A8A19935FD0A' folder (appsettings, diskdrivelist, drivebaysettings).

Output from log file (HomeServerConsole.080120.xxx.log) on the server

Created at 1/20/2008 5:54:15 PM
    ***** Started at 1/20/2008 5:54:15 PM ***
    ***** Started at 1/20/2008 5:54:15 PM ***
    [1]080120.175417.8115: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.HomeServerSettingsExtender
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)
    [1]080120.175420.9990: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.EventViewer: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.EventViewer.HomeServerSettingsExtender
    [9]080120.175421.4521: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    Devil080120.175421.4677: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [9]080120.175421.4677: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080120.175422.9677: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.PhotoSyncTab: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.PhotoSyncTab.HomeServerSettingsExtender
    [1]080120.175423.0146: Error: Exception thrown
    System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsoleTab.PhotoSyncTab_nat.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
    File name: 'file:///C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsoleTab.PhotoSyncTab_nat.dll'
       at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

[1]080120.175423.0146: Error: Problem with Home Server Console Tab DLL: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsoleTab.PhotoSyncTab_nat.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
    [10]080120.175424.4521: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [10]080120.175424.4521: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080120.175428.8583: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.Websites: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Websites.HomeServerSettingsExtender
    [1]080120.175429.8583: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080120.175429.8740: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [9]080120.175431.4677: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [14]080120.175452.4521: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080120.175505.3740: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.175512.8115: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.175514.9365: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.175515.5927: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [13]080120.175622.9521: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080120.175647.2021: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.175647.2177: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.175647.2490: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
    [18]080120.175923.4521: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [48]080120.221718.2490: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [27]080120.221721.2490: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [48]080120.221728.2646: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [33]080120.221748.7021: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [32]080120.221919.2021: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [31]080120.222219.7021: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080120.222509.4677: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222510.3271: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222510.3427: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [1]080120.222706.0771: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222707.7646: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222707.7802: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [1]080120.222721.3427: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222722.1083: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222722.1240: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [1]080120.222757.4521: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222801.0302: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.222801.0458: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [1]080120.223146.0927: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.223147.3115: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.223147.3271: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [1]080120.223228.4208: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.223229.7958: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.223229.8115: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [1]080120.223244.4990: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.223245.7646: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080120.223245.7646: UI: Error: FancyListView draw error m.Msg 8270: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    [1]080120.223410.4990: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:44 AM
  • Hi Idolatry,

I've just uninstalled DM1.0 and installed DM1.0.1.

Sorry, but I have an unpopulated Type drop down as well. It detects all 4 of my disks but I cant complete the wireframe.

In the folder on D: I only have 1 file, blah.diskdrivelist.xml.

Let me know if you would like me to send any further details.

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:10 AM
  • Thanks for the info. Can you post the relevant HomeServerConsole log, Kiwi?

Also, try moving the Scale slider up a notch, click ok to save settings, close the Console and try again.

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:31 AM
  • Man, do I feel silly Smile Issue has been resolved, please download the latest version.

I guess this is what beta tests are for...

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:41 AM
  • Excellent job.

One small thing I've noticed is that the backspace key doesn't seem to work in the drive bay management setup column & drive bay numeric entry boxes. It's not my keyboard as backspace works fine in the entry boxes for Jungle Disk etc.

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:17 AM
  •  Idolatry wrote:

Man, do I feel silly Issue has been resolved, please download the latest version.

I guess this is what beta tests are for...

OK so now in settings I can build my wire fram image. But it is not changing the image, in the console at all.

And yes I've increased the size, I've lessen the size, I've restarted the console. I can build the image now but it still doesn't display for me. Do I need to reboot?

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Hey Dark, try again. Mine didn't show up rendered properly until about a few hours had passed (well I left for work and now it's up and rendered fine).

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:31 PM
  •  Daedelus wrote:

Excellent job.

One small thing I've noticed is that the backspace key doesn't seem to work in the drive bay management setup column & drive bay numeric entry boxes. It's not my keyboard as backspace works fine in the entry boxes for Jungle Disk etc.

Yep, that's my dodgy form validation Smile I'll add it to the to-do list, thanks.

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:02 PM
  •  Darkone3 wrote:

OK so now in settings I can build my wire fram image. But it is not changing the image, in the console at all.

And yes I've increased the size, I've lessen the size, I've restarted the console. I can build the image now but it still doesn't display for me. Do I need to reboot?

It just doesn't want to co-operate with you, does it? Smile

It sounds like an issue with reading back the XML file. Does the image in the Settings dialog persist, or does that need to be rebuilt every time?

Can you check the HomeServerConsole log for me again?

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:04 PM
  •  SipperVixx wrote:
    Hey Dark, try again. Mine didn't show up rendered properly until about a few hours had passed (well I left for work and now it's up and rendered fine).

Hmm. There shouldn't be any time lab between clicking OK in settings and being able to see the new wireframe (you need to hit the Refresh button or select a disk, though).

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Hi Idolatry, v1.0.2 has worked for me. Pretty nifty utility. I still have 2 disks I cant tell apart so just guessed their location in the frame. I'll probably have to take the server down and trace the cables back to the controller to get a final determination. Something I should have documented while I was building it in the first place.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  KiwiFidget wrote:

Hi Idolatry, v1.0.2 has worked for me. Pretty nifty utility. I still have 2 disks I cant tell apart so just guessed their location in the frame. I'll probably have to take the server down and trace the cables back to the controller to get a final determination. Something I should have documented while I was building it in the first place.

Glad it's working for you now. As you say, there's still the initial setup that's kind of a pain (tracing the cables to their physical end-points), but I'm hoping that this add-in makes it a one-time thing.

Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:58 PM
  • I maybe do have a suggestion. I think you said that you had home-built systems without disk LEDs in mind when you developed DM, but I have got LED's for each pool disk in mine. A green one to say the disk has power, and an orange one which flashes when the drive is busy (which in WHS is pretty much all the time!). How hard would it be for your add-in to activate the LED when a drive is selected? Or does it already and I just havent noticed?

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:33 PM
  • No, it doesn't do that currently. I haven't dug into it, but my guess is that flashing those LEDs would be controller and driver specific. Definitely a good idea, though - I'll do some investigating.

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Fixed in the latest version!  Thanks!
    Monday, January 21, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  Idolatry wrote:

SipperVixx wrote:
    Hey Dark, try again. Mine didn't show up rendered properly until about a few hours had passed (well I left for work and now it's up and rendered fine).

Hmm. There shouldn't be any time lab between clicking OK in settings and being able to see the new wireframe (you need to hit the Refresh button or select a disk, though).

That is also what happen with me, starting and stopping the console had no effect, and rebooting didn't appear to acomplish anything, several hours later it simple appeared, after I quit trying to get it to appear.

And no, I don't need to press refresh, if I close the console and reopen it, and switch to your tab, I see the wireframe before the disk are loaded.

I plugged in a USB hard drive today to use as an E:\ drive, I pressed refresh several times, and the USB drive never appeared. But after closing and reopening the console it has just now appeared. My list of drives is now 2, 0, 1 which seems and odd way to list them. I wonder where a third internal SATA drive will appear, above 2 or below 1?

Have you given any thought to external drive boxes wireframes?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:20 AM
  • I guess the lesson here is that the universe takes its time, regardless of our machinations Wink I'll investigate. Could you send me a HomeServerConsole log from the time you were trying to get the wireframe to update?

The drives are listed in the default order in which WHS detects them (which seems to be the default order Windows lists them in WMI - maybe whichever is detected first on boot). Would you prefer them to be sorted sequentially by default?

I'm still not sure on how to display external disks. Do you have a preference?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:55 AM
  • OK I have a request. I have a EX475 and a Gigbit network and router, sadly my IBM notebook does not support Jumbo frames however, so the overall network is slow.   Now I strongly suspect I'm not the only one in this boat. So I'm looking at what was once call the sneaker net. Using a USB drive as a non pool drive to bring a large volume of data from a local computer to my WHS.

So within WHS Disk Management the USB drive shows up, but that is it. It is reported as EMPTY, (I think that is what your program is trying to tell me) and not added when in fact it is full. I am wondering about this, could your program report the actual amount of data on a "Not Added" drive? Even for someone wishing to add a drive to their pool it would seem desirable to know that the drive one is about to format contains data! Now for me what would be cool is to plug my drive in and press a button within your program and have it sync my drive to a shared folder that it creates on the WHS.

As to what to use for USB drives, I was thinking of your existing wireframe scaled way down. and placed beside the bigger one. The data is already there, and I believe (not being a programmer) that it would be easy to resize it, perhaps add a wire to it like Microsoft has done with  there icon for a USB drive.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I've been thinking about synchronisation, similar to what you've suggested. You plug in a USB disk and WHS knows that the disk is supposed to contain a replica of Share X, and synchronises appropriately. My guess is that's what Power Pack 1 is going to do for the backup database.

Adding synchronisation like that is a big chunk of functionality (especially because people will use it for data protection, and therefore it has to be bullet-proof), but it is something that'd I've wanted myself, so I'll look into it - no promises about "soon" though Smile.

Someone else has requested that not-added disks show up with the amount of freespace available etc as well. There are a few kinks in displaying that, but I should be able to put together something workable.

You are correct that scaling the disk image can be done. For multiple USB disks, would you want them stacked on top of each other?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Now I would like to see them side by side, but that is just how I imagine they would be for me. It would seem to me that if you enabled a second wireframe I could stack 4 drives either side by side or one on top of the other, allowing one to use it with external usb drives or an external SATA drive rack.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:46 PM
  • I need to build vertical disk bays for internal disk enclosures anyway, so it wouldn't be much work to port that to outside the case. I don't really want to complicate the settings dialog (it's already pretty messy) by giving too many choices about how things are displayed, but I'll look into it.

Hmm, and my previous posts don't update with my changed display name. That's annoying.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Disk Management just identifies my two IDE drives but not the SATA drives and the FireWire drive.
    The SATA drives are connected to the onborad SATA controller.

My Home Server contains:

Chassi: Chieftec DA-01W-D Dragon FullTower
    Power Supply: Hiper HPU-4M530 Type-M Black, 530W
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2.0 GHz
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI, Socket 939
    RAM: 3072 MB, Corsair Value Select DDR-RAM
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 688XT, 256 MB, PCI-Express
    NIC: Intel PRO/1000 GT, 100/1000 LAN adapter, PCI
    HDD 1: Western Digital Caviar SE, 500 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 2: Western Digital Caviar SE, 500 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 3: Western Digital Caviar SE, 320 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 4: Western Digital Caviar SE, 250 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 5: Western Digital Caviar XL, 250 GB, 7200 rpm, IDE
    HDD 6: Western Digital Caviar XL, 120 GB, 7200 rpm, IDE
    HDD 7: Western Digital Combo, 320 GB, 7200 rpm, Firewire

HDD 5 to 7 are not in the Storage Pool.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  Claes Hellgren wrote:
    Disk Management just identifies my two IDE drives but not the SATA drives and the FireWire drive.
    The SATA drives are connected to the onborad SATA controller.

My Home Server contains:

Chassi: Chieftec DA-01W-D Dragon FullTower
    Power Supply: Hiper HPU-4M530 Type-M Black, 530W
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2.0 GHz
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI, Socket 939
    RAM: 3072 MB, Corsair Value Select DDR-RAM
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 688XT, 256 MB, PCI-Express
    NIC: Intel PRO/1000 GT, 100/1000 LAN adapter, PCI
    HDD 1: Western Digital Caviar SE, 500 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 2: Western Digital Caviar SE, 500 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 3: Western Digital Caviar SE, 320 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 4: Western Digital Caviar SE, 250 GB, 7200 rpm, S-ATA
    HDD 5: Western Digital Caviar XL, 250 GB, 7200 rpm, IDE
    HDD 6: Western Digital Caviar XL, 120 GB, 7200 rpm, IDE
    HDD 6: Western Digital Combo, 320 GB, 7200 rpm, Firewire

HDD 5 to 7 are not in the Storage Pool.

Hi Claes. Please run the script as indicated in the second post of this thread, and post the results here.

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Here's the results:

Code Snippet

Caption: WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
    Size: 120031511040
    Caption: WDC WD2500JD-00GBB0
    Caption: WDC WD2500PB-00FBA0
    Caption: WDC WD3200JD-00KLB0
    Caption: WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0
    Caption: WDC WD5000AAKS-22TMA0
    Caption: WDC      reWire HDD     IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
    DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
    Name: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
    InterfaceType: 1394
    SCSIPort:
    SCSIBus:
    SCSITargetId:
    SCSILogicalUnit:

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:53 PM
  • Thanks Claes, I'll dig into why your disks are not showing up.

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Download URL has changed: http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmgt.html

There's a redirect on the web server, so existing links should still work.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 8:28 PM
  • New version posted, quite a few new features and fixes. Let me know what works and what doesn't.

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:46 AM
  • The new info button doesn't seem to report contains backup correctly, I believe I have two backups on my disk, and it is telling me there are none.

I have a SATA disk that has two drive letters assigned to it, and only the first one is reported. For my other disk, the SYS one no drive letter is reported. At the moment both SATA disk have two drive letters each. Disk 0 has C: and D: and disk 1 has E: and F:

External internal detection is working on my EX475, thanks for adding the external usb support. Surprise) Update of the wirefram occours when I press refreash, now.

Thanks for the work you have done. There is a repaire button, that I have never had a chance to test, could you add a scan button? Is there a way to force the system to look at a drive and add it back to the pool if it was once part of a pool? Without reformatting the drive? Say I have a drive that was once the system drive, (it has two partitions) and I want to add it to the pool and keep that small 20 GB partition on the drive. Can that be done?

Thanks! 

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:00 AM
  •  Darkone3 wrote:
    The new info button doesn't seem to report contains backup correctly, I believe I have two backups on my disk, and it is telling me there are none.

I have a SATA disk that has two drive letters assigned to it, and only the first one is reported. For my other disk, the SYS one no drive letter is reported. At the moment both SATA disk have two drive letters each. Disk 0 has C: and D: and disk 1 has E: and F:

External internal detection is working on my EX475, thanks for adding the external usb support. ) Update of the wirefram occours when I press refreash, now.

Thanks for the work you have done. There is a repaire button, that I have never had a chance to test, could you add a scan button? Is there a way to force the system to look at a drive and add it back to the pool if it was once part of a pool? Without reformatting the drive? Say I have a drive that was once the system drive, (it has two partitions) and I want to add it to the pool and keep that small 20 GB partition on the drive. Can that be done?

Thanks! 

Thanks for the feedback.

The field for the disk containing backups is pulled directly from WHS, and I haven't been able to figure out exactly when that gets updated. It could be real-time, but my feeling is that it only gets updated during a scandisk or backup run. How old are the backups on your server?

I'm not polling the SYS drive for drive letters, but I can add that.

I'm also not looking for multiple drive letters on a single disk, I'll add that too. It might not be as granular as you'd like; I will probably have to add free space etc together for the whole disk.

There isn't a way to add an ex-storage pool disk back into the pool without formatting it. That's a limitation of WHS. Is that what you meant by "scan button"?

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Thanks for 1.0.3, it finds all of my disks now...

It's a realy great add-in.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 12:14 PM
  • The backups on the disk are at 1/28/2008 2:32 AM and 1/27/2008 12:29 AM If scan disk runs every 12 hours then the oldest should have been scan at least twice. I also rebooted just now, to see if that would casue it to change and it did not.

I just ran the Storage Diagnostic program from the toolkit setting page with no change.

I also just did a manual backup so I now have an additional backup at 1/28/2008 9:19 AM and after refreshing your page it still shows as false.

As I understand the software that came with my EX475 there is suppose to be a way to recover the system drive if it fails, that casuses a replacement sys drive to scan the other disk in a EX475 for pool drives and add those pool drives back to the WHS on the failure of the system drive. HP is even nice enough to give an example of there code I believe, (NOT being a programer it is all greek to me) It appears to scan the system looking for something and then writes to the registry.

As to Scan Button I was thinking of a simple button that would force the WHS to scan (as in check disk) the disk for errors, and give a simply pass/fixed/fail kind of read out. The toolkit settings page has on the Storage (tab) a button that does Storage Diagnostics, and if one scrolls to the end of the report it appears to run something like check disk. I was thinking of a simple button one could press that would give a filtered report of pass/failed/ or see more press here.kind of option. 

Does the Status return the SMART Status or is this a WHS status? Can you display the SMART status of a drive, directly, as well as drive temperature? I really like the information Client Info gives, (I happen to think the name was not the best choice as I believe it gives the wrong impression as to what it does) I think it would be great to have one central program that manages all of the disk in my network.

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:07 PM
  •  Darkone3 wrote:

As I understand the software that came with my EX475 there is suppose to be a way to recover the system drive if it fails, that casuses a replacement sys drive to scan the other disk in a EX475 for pool drives and add those pool drives back to the WHS on the failure of the system drive. HP is even nice enough to give an example of there code I believe, (NOT being a programer it is all greek to me) It appears to scan the system looking for something and then writes to the registry.

As to Scan Button I was thinking of a simple button that would force the WHS to scan (as in check disk) the disk for errors, and give a simply pass/fixed/fail kind of read out. The toolkit settings page has on the Storage (tab) a button that does Storage Diagnostics, and if one scrolls to the end of the report it appears to run something like check disk. I was thinking of a simple button one could press that would give a filtered report of pass/failed/ or see more press here.kind of option. 

Does the Status return the SMART Status or is this a WHS status? Can you display the SMART status of a drive, directly, as well as drive temperature? I really like the information Client Info gives, (I happen to think the name was not the best choice as I believe it gives the wrong impression as to what it does) I think it would be great to have one central program that manages all of the disk in my network.

During a reinstall (say after the SYS disk fails), WHS provides the option to scan the disks and bring the data back into the pool. That's a one-time only offer, though. Could you send me the example code (or a link to it)?

I'll check out what the twice-daily disk check does. Not sure if I want to expose a button to manually kick it off, but it might be possible. Thanks for the idea.

Status returns WHS status. SMART status is a difficult one, but it's still on the to-do list.

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:24 PM
  •  

Are you aware that there is a problem with how you are decoding Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives serial numbers on the MediaSmart EX475?

let's say we have a drive serial number ABCDEFGH

you are displaying it as being .............BADCFEHG

That looks like a bit inversion coding error to me (I hope rather than how the raid card reads them)??

I just noticed that by cliocking on a heading we can sort, may I request that you sort the displayed based on Physical Disk from high to low (at bottom of the page) rather than simply leave it to chance?

Dark

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:22 AM
  • If there's bit inversion, it's happening before I get to it Smile All I'm doing is reading the serial number that Windows thinks belongs to the physical disk. I'll check against my physical disks to verify what you're seeing; it could be drive/controller specific, though.

The default sort order is what Windows presents to me. Pretty sure it's the same order that the WHS Server Storage tab uses, which is why I didn't sort it by default; I'll play with the sort order and see which way I want to go.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:31 AM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:

If there's bit inversion, it's happening before I get to it All I'm doing is reading the serial number that Windows thinks belongs to the physical disk. I'll check against my physical disks to verify what you're seeing; it could be drive/controller specific, though..

Normally I don't like to think bad of others, but I am really hoping in this case it is a programing error, and not related to the drive /controller, that seems like it would be a much bigger problem and harder to fix.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:43 PM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:
     I'll check against my physical disks to verify what you're seeing; it could be drive/controller specific, though.

So are you seeing what I am seeing? Or is it correct in your case?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Haven't had a chance to check (I need to shut down my WHS and pull disks out). I will this weekend, though.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:07 PM
  •  Darkone3 wrote:
     Sam Wood wrote:

If there's bit inversion, it's happening before I get to it All I'm doing is reading the serial number that Windows thinks belongs to the physical disk. I'll check against my physical disks to verify what you're seeing; it could be drive/controller specific, though..

Normally I don't like to think bad of others, but I am really hoping in this case it is a programing error, and not related to the drive /controller, that seems like it would be a much bigger problem and harder to fix.

Hi Darkone. I checked my disks this afternoon, and the serial number on the paper label matches what I'm reporting in the GUI.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Windows Home Server Disk Management v1.0.4

http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmgt.html

1.0.4 - Update
    Added: Editable disk names - open the Disk Info window (double-click the disk), edit the disk's name in the drop down at the top
    Added: Disk SMART status and temperature in the Disk Info window
    Added: Perpendicular/Y-Axis stacking disk bays
    Changed: Significant reworking of external/empty disk bays - check the appropriate boxes in the Settings dialog when adding a drive bay
    Changed: Main tab list view now has disk categories (Attention Required, Storage Pool, and Unmanaged Disks)
    Changed: Main tab sort order is now by Disk number
    Fixed: Apply button in Settings dialog now works as expected

It's the big one! SMART status, temperature and editable disk names. Never say I don't listen
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:16 AM
  • I've just installed v1.0.4, but the disk I've got that isn't added to the pool is showing as attention required, and 0% full, whereas using remote desktop and Disk Management within Windows, it's showing as healty, and 13% used.

EDIT: I found that if I assign the drive a drive letter, then this tool correctly shows it as an unmanaged disk, and reports the free space. I didn't assign this drive a drive letter as I had it mounted under c:\Virtual Machines as the storage drive for VMWare Server.

Also, SMART status is working for the drives connected to my IDE Bus, and my SiI3112 SATA Card, but the drives connected to my Adaptec AAR1420 4-port SATA Card don't report temperature or failure predicted statuses.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Hi Richard, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I'm using the presence of a drive letter to determine if the disk is unmanaged. I'll look into disks that are mounted as a dir on an existing volume, but I ran into issues with that at an earlier stage of development.

SMART status and temp are dependant on the controller exposing SMART data to WMI. If the controller doesn't do that, the Add-In won't be able to display those values.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Thanks!  This utility just keeps getting better and better!

Sunday, February 3, 2008 7:13 PM
  •  

Thanks, according to the website: http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/sata_cards/entry/AAR-1420SA/ it does support SMART, but perhaps it's not exposing in the same way that some other cards are.

Am more than happy to run some diagnostic tools for you if it'll help your development, as I'm assuming you don't have access to one of these cards!

It's a great tool, and can only get better Smile

Rich.

EDIT: It looks like Adaptec don't follow a standard with SMART reporting. The card will report SMART status during POST, and the Adaptec utility will report SMART status within windows, but ordinary SMART utilities I've downloaded won't talk to the Adaptec controller Sad

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:22 PM
  •  Richard Holland wrote:

Thanks, according to the website: http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/sata_cards/entry/AAR-1420SA/ it does support SMART, but perhaps it's not exposing in the same way that some other cards are.

Am more than happy to run some diagnostic tools for you if it'll help your development, as I'm assuming you don't have access to one of these cards!

It's a great tool, and can only get better

Rich.

Thanks Richard. Quick script to test SMART for your controller:

http://www.idolatry.org/uploads/disk_smart.vbs

On the server:

1) Start --> Run --> CMD

3) cscript disk_smart.vbs > disk_smart.txt

4) Copy the contents of disk_smart.txt

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Version 1.0.4.1 released. Minor fixes (see first post).

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:02 AM

EDIT: It looks like Adaptec don't follow a standard with SMART reporting. The card will report SMART status during POST, and the Adaptec utility will report SMART status within windows, but ordinary SMART utilities I've downloaded won't talk to the Adaptec controller

Ouch, that's a shame.

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:14 AM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:
     Richard Holland wrote:

EDIT: It looks like Adaptec don't follow a standard with SMART reporting. The card will report SMART status during POST, and the Adaptec utility will report SMART status within windows, but ordinary SMART utilities I've downloaded won't talk to the Adaptec controller

Ouch, that's a shame.

And sure enough, running your script shows up only the drive connected to the IDE bus and the drive connected to the Silicon Image SATA controller, nothing from the Adaptec one.

Monday, February 4, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Richard, have you checked with Adaptec for a firmware upgrade?

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:14 AM
  • That's my next step - I'm already running the latest version of the drivers, so am going to try an upgrade firmware.

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:20 AM
  • OK, Adaptec firmware updated to latest version, and still no SMART into - it appears Adaptec have gone their own way with the implementation, so only their software can interrogate it Sad Shame.

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Sam,

I have installed your add-in and it is very useful as I have 9 disks. I am having a problem in that I do not have a separate entry show up for disk management in the settings screen of the connector. Also the frame daigram is so far off to the right that I can't see anything. I suspect there may be an easy solution for me problem but I haven't read anything in this thread.

Thanks,

Robert

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:27 PM
  •  Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

Sam,

I have installed your add-in and it is very useful as I have 9 disks. I am having a problem in that I do not have a separate entry show up for disk management in the settings screen of the connector. Also the frame daigram is so far off to the right that I can't see anything. I suspect there may be an easy solution for me problem but I haven't read anything in this thread.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

What happens if you click the Settings button on the Disk Management tab's toolbar? Could you post the contents of your WHS console log?

1) on a client machine, browse to \\<servername>\c$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs (log in as Administrator, and your WHS console password)

2) Sort by data

3) Open the most recent HomeServerConsole.xxx.log

4) Copy and paste the contents here

For the wireframe diagram, could you post a screenshot of how you've configured it?

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:38 PM

OK, Adaptec firmware updated to latest version, and still no SMART into - it appears Adaptec have gone their own way with the implementation, so only their software can interrogate it Shame.

So much for open standards, right?

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:39 PM
  • Idolatry, great Add-In.

Are you planning to provide an Email notification regarding the SMART status, e.g. email with SMTP auth support (like with Remote Notification add-in) regarding predefined thresholds for hdd temperature?

Here is a potential code sample:

Imports System.Web.Mail
    Public Class cls_mail
        Function send_to_customer()
            Dim message As New MailMessage

message.From = "WHS@mail.com"
            message.To = "me@mail.com"
            message.Subject = "test"
            message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Text
            message.Body = "yyyyy"

message.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver", "mail.gmx.net")
            message.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport", 25)
            message.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing", 2)
            message.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate", 1)
            message.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername", "123456789")
            message.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword", "PASSWORD")
            System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "smtp.1und1.de"
        End Function
    End Class

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:51 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback, gogo.

I haven't considered alerting for this Add-In, no. That would require a monitoring service on the WHS. Maybe for version 2.0 Smile

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Sam,

One sneaky way round this would be to put information in an Event Log that Dave Mercer's Event Monitor could detect and send email alerts for.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:16 PM
  •  Dave Marchant wrote:

Sam,

One sneaky way round this would be to put information in an Event Log that Dave Mercer's Event Monitor could detect and send email alerts for.

Hi Dave,

What happens to that process if the Console is closed? That's the key problem, and why I'd need a stand-alone service to run in the background.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Good point Sam. While Dave Mercer's program is running as a Service, yours isn't. Never mind, it was just a thought.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:34 PM
  •  Dave Marchant wrote:

Good point Sam. While Dave Mercer's program is running as a Service, yours isn't. Never mind, it was just a thought.

It is an interesting thought though - maybe the 3rd-party Add-In developers need to get together and come up with some sort of data-exchange mechanism for things like this.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:
     Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

Sam,

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

What happens if you click the Settings button on the Disk Management tab's toolbar? Could you post the contents of your WHS console log?

1) on a client machine, browse to \\<servername>\c$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs (log in as Administrator, and your WHS console password)

2) Sort by data

3) Open the most recent HomeServerConsole.xxx.log

4) Copy and paste the contents here

For the wireframe diagram, could you post a screenshot of how you've configured it?

Sam,

I do not have an option for "disk management" in the settings menu screen. There is only a sliver of the wireframe diagram visible and I cannot make it any larger.

Here is my log

Created at 2/5/2008 12:38:41 PM
    ***** Started at 2/5/2008 12:38:41 PM ***
    [1]080205.123845.1406: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.HomeServerSettingsExtender
    [11]080205.123846.1250: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [11]080205.123846.1250: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [7]080205.123846.1250: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [10]080205.123849.1250: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [10]080205.123849.1250: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080205.123852.8125: UI: Error: Settings tab with TabText "Disk Management" does not persist its TabControl.
    [1]080205.123852.9531: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080205.123852.9687: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [11]080205.123856.1250: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080205.123905.9531: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [12]080205.123917.1250: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080205.123957.6562: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080205.124015.1406: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080205.124025.3281: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080205.124032.1406: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [4]080205.124047.6250: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [14]080205.124348.1250: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

I do not have an option for "disk management" in the settings menu screen.

Thanks for the log. What other Add-Ins do you have installed? Is the Disk Management add-in being managed by Tab Manager or Tab Reorder?

You should have a button on the Disk Management tool bar named "Settings" (on the same row as Add/Repair/Remove/Refresh); what happens when you click that?  After you click that button, could you post the appropriate Console log again?

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:16 PM
  •  Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

Sam,

I do not have an option for "disk management" in the settings menu screen. There is only a sliver of the wireframe diagram visible and I cannot make it any larger.

Here is my log

[1]080205.123845.1406: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.HomeServerSettingsExtender
    [1]080205.123852.8125: UI: Error: Settings tab with TabText "Disk Management" does not persist its TabControl.

SO you do not see this?

The item circled in brown here?

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Version 1.0.5.0 is up.

Added: Disk Information now includes Volume Shadow Copy size
    Changed: Storage information panel on main tab now shows disk space statistics (used, free, shadow copy size) per disk and globally
    Changed: Removed disk controller and SCSI path info from storage information panel (this data is still present in the hidden listview columns and the Disk Information dialog)
    Changed: Moved Disk Information button to toolbar
    Fixed: Unmanaged disks with multiple drive letters are now displayed correctly
    Fixed: Perpendicular/Vertical drive bays can now break to a new row manually (check the "Row End" box when adding the last bay in a row)
    Fixed: Storage Wizards now cannot be closed while they are working
    Fixed: Storage Wizards now show your customized disk name (if present)
    Fixed: Storage Wizards now properly handle long disk names
    Known issue: Unmanaged disks mounted as mountpoints are displayed as requiring attention

Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:47 AM
  •  

Hey, great program.  It really helped me for a few reasons.  First, I have 10 hard drives, so being able to identify them helps.  Secondly, your program alerted me to the fact that 9 of my drives were 90% full, even though I still have about 200 GB free on the entire storage pool.  I actually got a critical warning message from the WHS console saying that my OS drive had less than 5 GB free!!!.  Obviously, this was a problem.  After looking into it, it appears that WHS is balancing storage, and doesn't like to go much greater than 90% full (I might have one drive at 91%).  Anyway, something to keep in mind if you have a lot of data, and a lot of little drives.

One thing i noticed with the wire frame.  When I first started using your program, I went with the drives i knew.  I added blank spacers to the drive bays that I did not know.  After I figured out what the other drives were, I went back and changed them.  When I changed them, it added a second drive at the same location (in the chart, not the wireframe).  After I found that out, I selected the BLANK space holder and just removed it.  I'm only mentioning it for future refining of the program.

Thanks again

MB

Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:22 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback, MB.

You're correct about the wireframe issue you've described; I've yet to implement an "update" function.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Firstly I love this add-in.

I am using a GA-MA69GM-S2H mobo with a ATI SB600 controller and a PCI Sil3114 4 port SATA controller.

I can see and manage all the disks attached to both the SB600 and SIl3114.

I can only get temperature and other data for the Sil3114. With the 4 disks atached to the SB600 I only get temp and fault data if I switch the controller from AHCI to Native IDE. Am I doing something wrong?
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:06 AM
  •  krypto1 wrote:
    Firstly I love this add-in.

I am using a GA-MA69GM-S2H mobo with a ATI SB600 controller and a PCI Sil3114 4 port SATA controller.

I can see and manage all the disks attached to both the SB600 and SIl3114.

I can only get temperature and other data for the Sil3114. With the 4 disks atached to the SB600 I only get temp and fault data if I switch the controller from AHCI to Native IDE. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the feedback, krypto.

Most likely your controller just isn't providing Windows with SMART data when it's in AHCI mode. To confirm, you can run the following script (using the instructions in the second post of this thread) while the controller is in both modes.

http://www.idolatry.org/uploads/disk_smart.vbs

If you could post the results here, I'd appreciate it. Basically, if the disk doesn't show up with that query, the Add-In won't be able to pull SMART/temperature data.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:13 AM
  • Sam, I ran the script and got a message that cscript is not a recognised command. It generated an empty text file.

However, I think your right. My controller doesn't provide the SMART data when in AHCI mode. I am running the same mobo in my HTPC and I don't get any SMART data using other utilities when its running in AHCI. Unfortunate because I like to keep an eye on drive temps. Still I get the data for drives on the Sil3114 controllers so thats good.

Great work. Thanks for your quick help.
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:28 AM
  • This is a great and very usable add-in. Well done!

One small change that would make monitoring even easier: I would prefer to have the disk temperature (now found on the info page) displayed on the main page next to “Status” instead. That would make it allot easier to keep an ongoing eye on how all my disks are doing.

Regards

/ULO

Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:48 PM
  •  ulo wrote:

This is a great and very usable add-in. Well done!

One small change that would make monitoring even easier: I would prefer to have the disk temperature (now found on the info page) displayed on the main page next to “Status” instead. That would make it allot easier to keep an ongoing eye on how all my disks are doing.

Regards

/ULO

Hi ULO, thanks for the feedback.

Right now, the temperature info only refreshs when you open the Disk Information dialog; it's not real time. I've got some ideas on how to speed up the WMI crawls, and once I get that figured out I'll be doing something similar to what you've suggested.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:29 PM
  •  krypto1 wrote:
    Sam, I ran the script and got a message that cscript is not a recognised command. It generated an empty text file.

However, I think your right. My controller doesn't provide the SMART data when in AHCI mode. I am running the same mobo in my HTPC and I don't get any SMART data using other utilities when its running in AHCI. Unfortunate because I like to keep an eye on drive temps. Still I get the data for drives on the Sil3114 controllers so thats good.

Great work. Thanks for your quick help.

No problem krypto.

Do you see a big performance drop switching to IDE compatibililty mode?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:33 PM
  • I asked about the performance difference between AHCI and IDE in this thread. I have had no meaningful responses.

I run my HTPC in IDE so that I can access SMART info. I have seen no noticable performance difference. The biggest difference is that you don't need special SATA drivers. STill its annoying that the techonology has been available for quite some time and yet still isn't fully supported.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 5:09 AM
  • Awesome Add-in, MS should license this from you for big bucks and include as standard.

I've got an older motherboard with 2 IDE (4 channels) and a Promise PCI IDE card with 2 IDE (4 channels) for 8 IDE channels total in a stacked tower server case.  I had the Drive Bay Management done in several minutes as things were fairly straightforward.  All SMART and temp info is displayed by default.  Wonderful.

One problem was with the DVD-ROM drive on the 8th IDE port - there is no "disk path" to chose from (it would be 0:0:1:0 if it was there).  That's ok.  But it would be good to be able to add my own disk name instead of "none" being auto-filled (No Disk is not checked as there is a disk).  I don't need any status, etc.  Just good to have a label for that bay when cycling through.

Also, one idea.  On the main tab screen, you can click the Disk 0, ..., Disk X line and it shows to the right the drive location and capacity.  It would be cool to be able to click the bay and have it highlight the Disk # line.  Not a priority by any means!

Keep up the excellent work.  The Kitty

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback, Kitty.

I've had other requests for a "hot" drive bay wireframe as well - still working out the best way to approach it.

The reason you're not seeing the path for the DVD drive is that WHS ignores anything other than hard drives, and I'm pulling my list of devices directly out of WHS. However, I am planning to implement a request someone else made; an editable comment field for each drive bay. You could add your "DVD-ROM" designation with that functionality.

One thing I haven't decided on is how/where to display the comment, outside of the Settings dialog. What would be most useful for you?

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:04 PM
  • In a hot wireframe, clicking on a non-HD bay would display the comment. 

For noe, the comment ("Disk"?) could be placed in the list in Drive Bay Management ("Disk Path" column) instead of "None".  Or maybe check box 4 would be "Optical" - nearly every WHS has an optical drive.

Again, low, low priority - the functionality is key and that is excellent.  Kitty

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:24 PM
  • New version up.

1.0.6.0 - Update
    Added: Each drive bay now has a user-editable comment field (currently only displayed in the Settings dialog)
    Changed: Drive bay settings dialog now has Update/Replace functionality (previously you had to delete the old drive bay and recreate it if you wanted to make a change)
    Changed: Shadow copy size is now correctly deducted from "Used Space" counters (this is more intuitive)
    Changed: Misc UI improvements in Settings dialog
    Fixed: Unhealthy System disks now correctly show in the Attention Required category
    Known issue: Unmanaged disks mounted as mountpoints are displayed as requiring attention

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:23 AM
  • Thank you for a useful Add-In, it's ideal to visualise your system

Is it possible to rotate the whole wireframe, one of my servers is a 1U rack unit which is wall mounted along with another 1U unit which holds a further four hard drives.

Colin

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:38 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Thank you for a useful Add-In, it's ideal to visualise your system

Is it possible to rotate the whole wireframe, one of my servers is a 1U rack unit which is wall mounted along with another 1U unit which holds a further four hard drives.

Colin

You crazy kids - a wall-mounted Windows Home Server? I'll see what I can do, no promises though; it'll be a nasty bit of code to write Smile

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:03 AM
  • I'm not the only one!

Tranquil PC in the UK, sell some of their models for either rack or vertical wall mounting.  

Colin

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:
     Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

I do not have an option for "disk management" in the settings menu screen.

Thanks for the log. What other Add-Ins do you have installed? Is the Disk Management add-in being managed by Tab Manager or Tab Reorder?

You should have a button on the Disk Management tool bar named "Settings" (on the same row as Add/Repair/Remove/Refresh); what happens when you click that?  After you click that button, could you post the appropriate Console log again?

I have updated to your .6 version

What other Add-Ins do you have installed? - none, only yours

Is the Disk Management add-in being managed by Tab Manager or Tab Reorder? - there are no other add-ins installed.

Here is the console log;
    Created at 2/18/2008 4:12:21 PM

***** Started at 2/18/2008 4:12:21 PM ***

***** Started at 2/18/2008 4:12:21 PM ***

[10]080218.161224.2187: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648

Devil080218.161224.2187: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl

[10]080218.161224.2187: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl

[10]080218.161227.2187: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648

[10]080218.161227.2187: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl

[1]080218.161229.5000: UI: Error: Settings tab with TabText "Disk Management" does not persist its TabControl.

[1]080218.161229.6093: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl

[1]080218.161229.6250: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

[9]080218.161234.2343: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648

[1]080218.161243.2187: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

[1]080218.161250.8750: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

[11]080218.161255.2343: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648

[1]080218.161338.9375: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

[13]080218.161425.7343: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    Monday, February 18, 2008 10:33 PM
  •  Darkone3 wrote:
     Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

Sam,

Here is my log

SO you do not see this?

The item circled in brown here?

I do not have a "disk management" option
    Monday, February 18, 2008 10:35 PM
  •  Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

Is the Disk Management add-in being managed by Tab Manager or Tab Reorder? - there are no other add-ins installed.

[1]080218.161229.5000: UI: Error: Settings tab with TabText "Disk Management" does not persist its TabControl.

Thanks Kiwi. Ran into someone else with a similar issue - I believe he ended up reinstalling WHS to fix the issue, as it was occuring with all Add-Ins.

Can you try another Add-In (say Duplication Info) and see if it does the same thing?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:09 AM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:

Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

Thanks Kiwi. Ran into someone else with a similar issue - I believe he ended up reinstalling WHS to fix the issue, as it was occuring with all Add-Ins.

Can you try another Add-In (say Duplication Info) and see if it does the same thing?

Sam,

I installed the duplication info add-in and here is the console log;

Created at 2/21/2008 12:20:59 AM
    ***** Started at 2/21/2008 12:20:59 AM ***
    ***** Started at 2/21/2008 12:20:59 AM ***
    [1]080221.002102.8906: Init: Error: Could not find appropriate HomeServerTabExtender in HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo: exception System.TypeLoadException: GetType failure for Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.HomeServerSettingsExtender
    [5]080221.002103.9687: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [7]080221.002103.9687: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [5]080221.002103.9687: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [10]080221.002106.9687: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [10]080221.002106.9687: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080221.002110.1875: UI: Error: Settings tab with TabText "Disk Management" does not persist its TabControl.
    [1]080221.002110.2968: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080221.002110.3125: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [5]080221.002113.9687: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080221.002118.0625: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [11]080221.002135.4687: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]080221.002219.8593: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:27 AM
  • Thanks Kiwi. I'll do some digging and get back to you.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:39 AM
  • To update the Add-In, remember to uninstall the old version from the WHS Console first. Copy the new MSI to \\server\Software\Add-Ins, then reinstall the Add-In from the Console.

Windows Home Server Disk Management v1.0.7.2

Significant Changes:
    - Huge performance boost
    - Real-time performance and temperature monitoring on the main window
    - Shiny new Disk Details window

Version History:

Added: Real-time Disk Temperature display on main window, with adjustable refresh rate in Settings
    Added: Real-time Disk Activity display on main window, with adjustable refresh rate in Settings
    Added: Button on main window to globally start and stop temperature and activity monitoring (button state persists between sessions, monitoring is off by default)
    Added: Tooltips for most controls
    Added: Close/Done button on Disk Details window
    Added: Copy button on Disk Details window to copy disk information to the clipboard (single line or all displayed information)
    Changed: WMI data gathering speed has been significantly improved
    Changed: Add-In now receives notifications from WHS when a disk is changed/added/removed and refreshes automatically
    Changed: Removed "Refreshing" progress bar, replaced with animated image on main window
    Changed: Disk Information window has had a makeover
    Changed: Settings tab now refreshes main window on settings close
    Fixed: Resolved crash when opening Disk Details window for a Missing disk
    Fixed: Resolved issue with displaying Add-In when WHS is set to a non-standard font size (still doesn't look great, but it's a start)
    Fixed: Buttons are no longer erroneously disabled after closing Disk Details window
    Fixed: Resolved erroneous white border around main window form elements after closing Settings
    Fixed: Rebuilt MSI package using latest WiX/Votive to prevent Vista from marking the installer as invalid

Friday, April 18, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Nice update Smile

This add-in extremely useful if you have a multiple drive server.

The HDD temperature display is a nice touch.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Windows Home Server Disk Management v1.0.7.3

Significant Changes:
    - Resolved drive path enumeration issue with non-English versions of WHS

Version History:

1.0.7.3 - Update
    Fixed: Resolved issue with enumeration of drive paths on non-English versions of WHS
    Fixed: Disk location columns are no longer empty on refresh
    Fixed: Storage pool usage bar is now recalculated after all disk data is pulled

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:02 AM
  • Hi Sam, I've just noticed an oddity with WHSDM1073. On the main add-in page the Temperature column and the Activity columm show "n/a" for all drives. If I select a disk and view its Properties, the add-in displays the temperature at 34C, so its not as though it doesnt know and therefore shouldnt be "not/available". I dont know what the Activity column is supposed to display so cant comment much there!

Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:07 AM
  • Click the cog-with-green-arrow button in the toolbar on the top-right of Disk Management.

Disk Details returns a snapshot of the disk, whereas the Temp. column shows real-time temperature. The column will show "n/a" until you turn on real-time monitoring.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:12 AM
  • And.... tada!!! Thanks Sam. Will try to be less blonde in the future.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:48 PM
  •  KiwiFidget wrote:
    And.... tada!!! Thanks Sam. Will try to be less blonde in the future.

No worries, it's not obvious (which is why the question is now part of the FAQ on the site http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/WHSDiskManagement/); quite a few people have asked the same thing.

Not sure how to highlight it to make it more intuitive. Any suggestions?

Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:58 PM
  • I can do a suggestion.

On the screen where you set the refresh values for Temp and Activity, have a tick box for Enable.

Thats where I looked but did not find.

Hope thats useful.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:14 PM
  •  KiwiFidget wrote:

I can do a suggestion.

On the screen where you set the refresh values for Temp and Activity, have a tick box for Enable.

Thats where I looked but did not find.

Hope thats useful.

Good suggestion, thanks. The whole settings window is getting a revamp in the next major release, and I'll have a lot more room for checkboxes and things like this.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:23 PM
  •  

Hi there, the add-in sounds wonderfull, but is unavailable. Website is down.

Can you upload it as a Torrent-file? That way we can all chip in on the bandwidth use and help share.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. The website is working fine for me.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Newbie question for all (but probably someone here knows more).

Installed on an Adaptec 2410SA with 3 big drives (Raid5)....the adaptec managment SW won't install under this OS (actually it installs, but doesn't see any adapters, even though it was under the 2410SA DL page).

Will this add-in give me raid health info details?  (from running the disk_info.vbs, it only shows 1 physical disk (about the size of the Raid 5 vol (1.5TB)). but no detailed info on the disks, or state of the raid....)

Is there an adaptec raid add-in?

or just did I screw up and need to reinstall with a more correct raid driver to get the adaptec management suite to run correctly (Yuck, 1.2TB of data is a lot to copy over again.....)?

Help please (or just point me to the right place....).

Pete.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:03 AM
  • Had a long reply typed out, but the forum timeout ate it (another reason to stick to We Got Served).

No, Disk Management won't show any data about the underlying disks. RAID adapters work by lying to Windows and presenting the RAID volume as a single logical disk - Windows is never told that you have some physical disks under there.

I don't have any plans to change Disk Management to tal to the various RAID controllers out there. MS also doesn't support WHS on RAID volumes.

No idea about why the Adaptec software won't work.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:43 AM
  • New release is out - 1.0.8.6

http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/WHSDiskManagement/

Significant Changes:

New 3D server wireframe

Customisable alert thresholds for disk and Storage Pool usage
    - change the percentage values for green/yellow/red storage warnings

Column sort in main listview
    - change the sort order of your disks based on any column
    - servers with 10+ disks now sort correctly

See website or first post in this thread for detailed changelog.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 9:26 AM
  • I stumbled across this thread while seeking a way to add some kind of RECYCLE BIN type of a safety net for WHS shares.

Someone here accidentally deleted file/s from a share and it seems there is no way to undelete!  (I don't understand how a product for "Home" users would NOT have this ability!)

Does the "WHS Disk Management Add-In" add any such functionality?
    If not, can someone pls point me to an add-in that does?  (There just HAS TO be one!)
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:39 PM
  •  
    tech lab said:

I stumbled across this thread while seeking a way to add some kind of RECYCLE BIN type of a safety net for WHS shares.

Someone here accidentally deleted file/s from a share and it seems there is no way to undelete!  (I don't understand how a product for "Home" users would NOT have this ability!)

Does the "WHS Disk Management Add-In" add any such functionality?
    If not, can someone pls point me to an add-in that does?  (There just HAS TO be one!)

WHS Disk Management doesn't provide undelete functionality.

Basically, providing undelete functionality for network storage is very difficult, and requires low-level storage software modifications to the server. There are some larger software companies that are apaprently developing something for WHS, but it won't be free (ref. http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/10/10/diskeeper-undelete2009-server-edition/).
    Tentacle Blog: http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/blog/
    WHS Disk Management: http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/WHSDiskManagement/
    Friday, March 13, 2009 8:28 PM