Re-Activation limit of Windows Home Server OEM ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm considering to buy Windows Home Server OEM becasue HP doesn't have plan to sell therir Home Server box in my region. So, I'm going to build my own box.

My question is ;

Can I legally reactivate my 'Windows Home Server OEM' every time when I change hardwares?

If I can, how many times can I reactivate ? No limit ?

If somebody bought OEM version already please let me know about license conditions.

Thanks.

Choi.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:03 AM

Answers

• Choi

The licencing "rules" around OEM software is that the licence is for the build of hardware when you active the software. In this case, if you were to change the motherboard, or processor you would need to buy a new licence. OEM licencing is different to Retail licencing.

However, if you had to change hardware because of a failure then you could call MS and ask very nicely - it has worked before :-)

Andrew

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:17 AM

All replies

• Choi

The licencing "rules" around OEM software is that the licence is for the build of hardware when you active the software. In this case, if you were to change the motherboard, or processor you would need to buy a new licence. OEM licencing is different to Retail licencing.

However, if you had to change hardware because of a failure then you could call MS and ask very nicely - it has worked before :-)

Andrew

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:17 AM
  • Choi,

I have already gone through this. I changed my hardware setup and had to re-activate. Needless to say, the automatic option didn't work and I had to telephone Microsoft. Even though an OEM license doesn't allow for system changes, the M/s rep asked the reason and then just gave me a new number.

I would guess that as this is both a Version 1 product and they know people might have problems, they will be quite forgiving. However, repeated changes aren't going to get the same response.

Colin 

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Actually, the OEM licence is quite specific, and in a useful way. It says that the licence cannot be reactivated if major components of the system change, such as motherboard, EXCEPT in the case of replacement due to failure.

i.e. You can't legitimately use the same key if you're upgrading - but if you're replacing failed hardware, you can.

Monday, December 17, 2007 9:06 PM