MAC- Unable to install certificates. RRS feed

• Question

• There was a post about this last Oct, but apparently no resolution.  When I run Live Mesh for the first time after dragging it to Applications from the dmg, I get the error: Unable to install certificates.  Cancel or Collect Logs.  Collecting logs doesn't seem to create any that I can find.

What do certificates relate to, and what would prevent their installation?

I am running OSX 10.5.5
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

I'm sorry that I can't directly help with the problem, but I would strongly suggest submitting a bug. The logs that are collected should be on your desktop, in a zip file, but if they aren't then perhaps there aren't any that can actually be collected at that time.

Once a bug is submitted, post the ID back here so that others can track it - and I'm sure that someone from the team will follow up with you for more information (and ways to collect this extra info).

Let us know how it works out...

Oren
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

I'm sorry that I can't directly help with the problem, but I would strongly suggest submitting a bug. The logs that are collected should be on your desktop, in a zip file, but if they aren't then perhaps there aren't any that can actually be collected at that time.

Once a bug is submitted, post the ID back here so that others can track it - and I'm sure that someone from the team will follow up with you for more information (and ways to collect this extra info).

Let us know how it works out...

Oren
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:34 PM

• Here is the bug ID- 421603.  What do the certificates do?  Would this have anything to do with permissions?
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Hi Ian,

I'm not sure which certificates it couldn't install but I know of one set of certificates, and I can envision another:

1. Certificates that are generated per device and are specific to the device in order to serve as a device's unique identifier (so another device cannot be confused for that one) (This one definitely exists)

2. Live Mesh Certs to identify which Live Mesh sites / sources are valid (used in handshakes between the client and server) (unsure if this is used).

Thanks for posting the bug ID!

Oren
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your bug ID.  I'm following up with our Mac devs and will update this post as soon as I hear anything.

Ben.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Any update for this bug submission, Ben?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Hi all,

Nothing new to report, unfortunately.  This is still under investigation.  Ian, please keep an eye on your inbox.  I've asked someone from those handling this bug to send you an update via Connect as soon as there is a status change.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:34 PM
  • I just downloaded version 0.9.3821.962.  Is this the newest build?  It is still giving me the same error.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I believe that it is the newest available, yes.
    -steve
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:29 PM
  • I'm not sure if this would affect it, but I am running Parallels on this Mac.  I have used Live Mesh successfully on the XP side but would prefer to run it under OSX since that OS is always on and files are quicker to get through.  Even though Mesh is currently uninstalled under XP, the Mac client still won't work, and it won't load when Parallels is not running either.

If the certificates have to do with identifying this particular computer to Live, would the fact that it previously ran Mesh with another OS be a problem?  Is virtualized XP on this Mac a completely different device from OSX on this Mac, or could there be some conflict?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Not being a Mac person or a programmer, take my reply as a best guess.

In a dual boot PC system, both sides can be running Live Mesh as they are independent of each other. I imagine that Parallels is the same situation. If the XP side is a virtual machine, it is also a different machine.

-steve
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:51 PM
  • I'm Running OSX 10.5.6. ANd I'm having the same problem. Ever since the last update (which i had to install, as Live Mesh would not otherwise connect). The funny thing is, I only have the option "cancel" or "collect logs" ... however collecting logs won't help. Looking into the Console output i find this message appearing when it is supposed to collect logs: 

4/13/09 2:19:07 PM Live Mesh[8751] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: _NSTaskExecutablePath) 

presumably this is when it is trying to write out the log, then it bails. However the app just idles. 

Let me know if there is anything i can do to help resolve this ... 

P.S: It really is annoying ... FolderShare worked great ... but now we have LiveSync, which won't connect for me under windows (after standby) and keeps forgetting the credentials (on all platforms) ... and now Live Mesh ... which currently is broken for OSX ... Any chance we can get FolderShare back :) 
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Frank, go ahead and file yoru bug without collecting logs and note that in the bug report. Once you are able to get logs, perhaps after someone with more knowledge of Live Mesh on OSX replies here or via a reply to your bug report, you can attach them later.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:26 PM
  • got the same error, live mesh starts and ends with "unable to install certificates" message. Collect-logs option has no effect, cancel terminates the program.
    Console-output: <Notice>: [ource/WLCApplicationDelegate.mm:101] Application startup failed: Unable to install certificates.
    I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.7, any ideas ?
    Monday, June 1, 2009 9:06 AM
  • got the same error, live mesh starts and ends with "unable to install certificates" message. Collect-logs option has no effect, cancel terminates the program.
    Console-output: <Notice>: [ource/WLCApplicationDelegate.mm:101] Application startup failed: Unable to install certificates.
    I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.7, any ideas ?

While you await any additional suggestions, please go ahead and file a bug report on Connect. Instructions are here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

If you cannot capture the logs, still open the bug report.
    -steve

Monday, June 1, 2009 12:21 PM