Upgrade to WHS from XP pro? RRS feed

• Question

• The machine I want to install WHS onto already has XP Pro on it, and I'm already using it as a sort of basic server for shared files etc. Can I install WHS onto this without losing files etc?
    Friday, April 20, 2007 8:21 AM

Answers

• Yes, that works fine (unless behaviour has changed with CTP!)

Remove the second drive and install. WHS will partition the remaing drive into small C: and D:

Once install completes, replace your second physical drive and before configuring it thru the WHS console, go into Windows Explorer, where the "new" drive should be visible and you can copy all the data into the shares on D:

Then go into the console and add the drive and WHS will swallow it into the drive pool. All data on the drive will be lost at this point.

Caveat: WHS is beta software so keep backup copies of valuable data

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:31 PM

All replies

• No you can't.

WHS will format your drives during install you will lose your data, so back it up first.

Jimi

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:58 AM
  • That's a bit of a logistical problem.

But the machine does have two physical drives where most of the stuff I want to keep is on the second drive. Could I remove that for the WHS install then put it back in again afterwards?

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:23 AM
  • Yes, that works fine (unless behaviour has changed with CTP!)

Remove the second drive and install. WHS will partition the remaing drive into small C: and D:

Once install completes, replace your second physical drive and before configuring it thru the WHS console, go into Windows Explorer, where the "new" drive should be visible and you can copy all the data into the shares on D:

Then go into the console and add the drive and WHS will swallow it into the drive pool. All data on the drive will be lost at this point.

Caveat: WHS is beta software so keep backup copies of valuable data

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:31 PM
  •  Just remember that you should install WHS on your largest drive. That drive (the one you install WHS on) will have 2 partitions on it, a ten GB system partition and the rest of the drive will be the data partition with your shared folders. You will only be able to save backups that are equal to or smaller than the second partition. I know this is counter to what we are used to but this is how the new drive extender technology works.

Friday, April 20, 2007 3:46 PM
  • OK, thanks both. I guess I should really read up on all this a bit before installing.

What happens to the space on the second drive after I reintroduce it, if the first drive has the shared folders?

Friday, April 20, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Windows will just add it as an extra drive, but won't touch any of the data on it, which means that the space is not added to the servers pool (the amount of space available for use by Windows Home Server). The drive will require managing manually.

If you want to add it to the servers pool, before you even click the "Add..." button in Home Server Console, note that this will also destroy all information on the drive during the process of adding the drives space to the servers pool, so be very careful. If you really want to keep the contents of the drive, just add it to your IDE/SATA bus, boot up again, and let Windows pick it up, but don't go into Home Server Console and click "Add..." in the Server Storage tab.

Good luck. Smile
    Friday, April 20, 2007 5:11 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

Just be sure to copy files into \\server\shares and not d:\shares. You can/probably will eventually run in to file system issues with the latter.

Jonathan
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:19 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've decided after all to copy all my data elsewhere and install with both drives attached.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 12:23 PM