Home Server Back-Up always reads (0% done)... RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple PCs on my home network.  Back-Up works fine on all PCs except one.  On that one, Back-Up attepts to start buy never really gets going.  It always reads (0% done).  When I run the connector troubleshooter, it tells me that I have multiple network adapters.  But that's the thing.  I only have one W-Fi NIC on the PC.  What's going on?
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:02 AM

Answers

• You can try repairing the backup database:
    • Start the Windows Home Server console
    • Click on Settings
    • Click on Backup
    • There should be a Repair... button. Click it.
    This will take a while, possibly hours.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:20 AM
  • I have seen this in context with a faulty or missing VSS provider on the client PC.
    Check this thread how to reregister VSS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:59 PM

All replies

• I have multiple PCs on my home network.  Back-Up works fine on all PCs except one.  On that one, Back-Up attepts to start buy never really gets going.  It always reads (0% done).  When I run the connector troubleshooter, it tells me that I have multiple network adapters.  But that's the thing.  I only have one W-Fi NIC on the PC.  What's going on?
    To confirm: that client has no ethernet ports on the back of it at all?  Have you checked Device Manager, Network Adapters on that client to see if it sees more than 1 there?
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 5:01 AM
  • Same problem here and i only got one network device installed and only one network hardware plugged in. Problem even persists if i remove that pc from home server and reinstall the client software. What is most interesting is that the problem just occured by itself a few days ago. I went to do a backup but it didnt finish. When stopping the backup the symbol turns from blue to yellow again on client side and the server console still shows that 0% loading bar and that doesnt change even if i stop the backup on console. If i try to edit or remove that pc from console i get an error message which says that backup is still running on that pc. seems the problem is server based not client based since i reinstalled client software. but i might also be wrong with that. please anyone respond to this. thanks
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Problem still persists. Anyone an idea?
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:44 AM
  • You can try repairing the backup database:
    • Start the Windows Home Server console
    • Click on Settings
    • Click on Backup
    • There should be a Repair... button. Click it.
    This will take a while, possibly hours.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Okay i chose repair. Luckily it only took about 5 minutes here. Now if i start backup my WHS says backup failed (not why though) and client keeps displaying a progress bar.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:02 AM
  • This occasionally happens to me also.  I always find that there is a Microsoft Windows Update that is waiting and uninstalled when this happens.  You might try checking for updates on this computer and see if that allows the backup to proceed.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I actually found some updates and installed them. A WHS patch and a .net framework patch. But even after all updates are dont my backup wond move an inch over 0%. The one client which has this problem has currently no patches available. I even reinstalled the connector again -.- this is so frustrating...
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Ok guys i found out how to solve this:

There seemed to be a log file missing which caused a service not to start as it should.

just open a cmd window and enter: msdtc -resetlog

This recreates the log file and enables the connector to start the "Distributed Transaction Coordinator" service again and voilà backup works once again.

Damn it took me about 8 hours to figure this one out...
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:14 AM
  • I have seen this in context with a faulty or missing VSS provider on the client PC.
    Check this thread how to reregister VSS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:59 PM