Product Key RRS feed

• Question

•  

Well i cant seem to find a number to call about this, so i'll ask on here. maybe somebody can help me out. i bought this product Windows Live OneCare awhile back and i had to reinstall my os on my hp desktop pc. Now i wrote the product key down in a notebook just in case i lose the cd case,  which i cant find it to copy the product key, but in my notebook i have it wrote down but one of the letters/numbers is kinda blurry now. but i got all the other 24 down clear, looks like i messed up on it and thought id remember it, but i didn't saddly. Who can i call to read this product key too, to get the missing letter in the key, i need it to activate my copy because i bought this in the store and its wanting me to subribe again for wat i've already paid. I went to activate token and thats where i run into the problem with entering the product key. Please someone help me, i got 15 days on the free trail before I can get protection. Thanks Justin
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:08 PM

Answers

• To activate a reinstall of One Care do not use the product key, use only the Live ID and password used to originally activate your subscription.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• I'm having similar problems with re-loading mine after a crash. In my searches while attempting reloads - which have been denied - I did discover a file that might not only provide an answer as to why, but also where the product key is in one way or another represented:

(1) Do a search for      WinSSInstall     and look for a Notepad file under GetOC (OneCare)

or 

(2) Do a search for      IcdrIUninstall           Notepad file
    for something that appears like this   ******* Product: {3851147e-xxxx_xxxx..........

Good Luck!

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:05 PM
  • To activate a reinstall of One Care do not use the product key, use only the Live ID and password used to originally activate your subscription.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:39 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    To activate a reinstall of One Care do not use the product key, use only the Live ID and password used to originally activate your subscription.

I did use the same sign in. but still asking for me to buy it, i bought it in the store. and I know 24 letters of my product key, i need help figureing out the one thats kinda blurry. Is there anyway i can call like u do to activate windows xp to read them the product key and for them to help me figure it out.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:39 PM
  •  bill bored wrote:

I'm having similar problems with re-loading mine after a crash. In my searches while attempting reloads - which have been denied - I did discover a file that might not only provide an answer as to why, but also where the product key is in one way or another represented:

(1) Do a search for      WinSSInstall     and look for a Notepad file under GetOC (OneCare)

or 

(2) Do a search for      IcdrIUninstall           Notepad file
    for something that appears like this   ******* Product: {3851147e-xxxx_xxxx..........

Good Luck!

Ok i got the file and i found the product code but its not 12 or 25 digits like the product key? wat good does this do?

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:00 AM
  •  justinlp wrote:
    I did use the same sign in. but still asking for me to buy it, i bought it in the store. and I know 24 letters of my product key, i need help figureing out the one thats kinda blurry. Is there anyway i can call like u do to activate windows xp to read them the product key and for them to help me figure it out.

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

-steve
    Monday, June 16, 2008 5:17 PM
  • what if you bought a store copy of windows live one care to reinstall on your computer but your windows live id shows your expired status (and credit card info denied) and will not let you activate the new store bought copy because it wants you to renew with your previous (now expired) credit card information. Isn't there a way to activate using a token number or product key with the new copy to activate it?  

I've tried to change my windows live id just to install but it keeps bumping back to my original address.    What else can I try?
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:29 AM
  • If One care is installed, uninstall it, run the cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 delete your cookies and temporary internet files, then install the One Care trial - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm  Open One Care, select "Subscribe", when asked to enter a Live ID create a new Live ID, continue to the payment page and select "Pre-Paid PIN or Token" as the payment method.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:06 AM
  • Thank You JimR1, you saved me from more days of trying to get this program to work for me, many thanks and very helpful!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:04 AM