Running a retail version of XP Professional on a MacBook Pro under VMWare Fusion... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I had a relatively new, top of the range IBM Thinkpad T60P yesterday.  The thing melted - literally.  The fan broke and the heat buildup started messing up the internals.  At some point yesterday, my battery failed - at which point it was time to kiss the $5,000 laptop goodbye and invest in a Mac - hey, get three operating systems for about the same price - sounds good to me !

So I bought a MacBook Pro ultimate - and installed Bootcamp on the thing.  Formatted 50% of my partition with a brand new $299 copy of XP Pro I bought from Best Buy (stupidly - as I found out later that if I had used an illegal version, Microsoft would only have charged me $149 to make the thing legal).  Anyhow - everything on my Boot Camp partition works beautifully, and my laptop literally flies.

So, I reboot back to OS-X - and install a new copy of VMWare Fusion - purchased from the Apple store.  VMWare Fusion immediately, and correctly, identified my Boot Camp partition - and when I started up the boot camp as a virtual machine, XP started complaining about not being a genuine license since "the hardware had dramatically changed".  Whenever I try to perform a validation, it now tells me that my license key has "already been validated".

I know that many others have been able to get the validation to work correctly - so I'm posting my Genuine Validation Diagnostic information as follows.  Am I doing something wrong ?

:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RVKPC-FGDKP-VJ4TG
    Windows Product Key Hash: tUpWkTeExPBNrwZ9RQ4xUu54B/c=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-025-3214585-22054
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {EAFE16FD-2DA8-4C4E-98EB-0C0173E012E2}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2920-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{EAFE16FD-2DA8-4C4E-98EB-0C0173E012E2}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VJ4TG</PKey><PID>76487-025-3214585-22054</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-484763869-1214440339-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VMware, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VMware Virtual Platform</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20070410000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3AE23E8701841669</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>80C526A4C4B7CC6</Val><Hash>2M3olj+76v8q6kYRQbGgNgGdmjk=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0077795-17131</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{903B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>757D4B74BEB9D00</Val><Hash>hMhLnfaYXsalxgzBmGVJjt13TnA=</Hash><Pid>72077-640-2766151-55470</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:21 PM

Answers

• Hi altquark,

My feeling is that you just need to re-activate by phone.

But please Note that Bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/) and/or Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/) are not supported by Microsoft to host any Microsoft OS.

From the Support Doc KB897615 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897615/en-us):

Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software

Microsoft does not test or support Microsoft software running in conjunction with non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.  For Microsoft customers who do not have a Premier-level support agreement, Microsoft will require the issue to be reproduced independently from the non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software. Where the issue is confirmed to be unrelated to the non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software, Microsoft will support its software in a manner that is consistent with support provided when that software is not running in conjunction with non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.

Although it is not supported by Microsoft, I do see that people have used Vista under Bootcamp successfully . My suggestion would be to follow the above Boot Camp or Parallels links and see if there are any support infomation available, forum posts by other successful users, as well as search the internet for How Tos.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hi altquark,

But please Note that Bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/) and/or Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/) are not supported by Microsoft to host any Microsoft OS.

Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software

Microsoft does not test or support Microsoft software running in conjunction with non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.  For Microsoft customers who do not have a Premier-level support agreement, Microsoft will require the issue to be reproduced independently from the non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software. Where the issue is confirmed to be unrelated to the non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software, Microsoft will support its software in a manner that is consistent with support provided when that software is not running in conjunction with non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.

Although it is not supported by Microsoft, I do see that people have used Vista under Bootcamp successfully . My suggestion would be to follow the above Boot Camp or Parallels links and see if there are any support infomation available, forum posts by other successful users, as well as search the internet for How Tos.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:35 PM
  •  

massage field is manual
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:26 AM
  •  Darin Smith MS wrote:

Hi altquark,

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:27 AM