True multi-point video conferencing - possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I understood true multi-point video conferencing to be that all participants can see each other simultanously.  Does OCS 2007 (with communicator or live meeting client) support such a thing?  I see support for multi-point video conferencing in the supporting material but the only way we have seen the video conferencing work in our lab environment is to see one person at a time. 

If OCS doesn't do the true multi-point video, is there another product you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:17 PM

All replies

•  

Is there any particular reason you wish to see everybody all at once, even if they are not talking?... This would seriously up your bandwidth requirements, where your average requirement with Live Meeting and Communicator is going to be ~350-400kbps... we quite like the 'Active Speaker' feature of Communicator and Live Meeting.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Polycom or Tandberg should be able to help you.

They also integrate with OCS

Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

Right now OCS 2007 only does "active speaker" video - it doesn't do the "hollywood squares" or "brady bunch" type of display with all participants visible at the same time. There is no way to change that... the OCS multipoint video allows multiple video endpoints into a conference, but only displays one stream at a time.

This is a common feature request and I wouldn't be surprised to see future versions of OCS to start incorporating this into the product.

In the meantime, as Deli says, Polycom and Tandberg both provide video conferencing solutions that do this, and both have partnerships w/ microsoft for integration to OCS.

Regards,

Matt

Friday, October 3, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Sunday, November 2, 2008 12:39 PM