"My Movies" install made system drive go missing RRS feed

• Question

• I installed My Movies add-in for WHS yesterday.  For some silly reason my system drive is now marked as "missing", file conflicts are flying out of the WHS console, and it's claiming the drive has failed.
    I ended up getting rid of My Movies because it seems to be more trouble than it's worth but the system drive is still flagged as missing.
    A few clues:
    - the drive does mechanically spin up
    - I reseated the drives with no change in result
    - I also have Orb running and that no longer functions as it did before
    - During remote desktop connection, it says the backup service caused an error.  When I try to start the WHS console, it says "The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. Some WHS Console functions will not be available" etc.  Mind you, the service is set to automatic.
    - I also installed Malware Bytes yesterday to get rid of some gnarly thing called ep.exe
    - All shares are set for folder replication
    - My c:\fs\E\DE\shares folder appears to be intact.

So, with all that being said, how should I proceed?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

• It sounds to me like you have a failing drive (probably your system drive). I would suggest shutting your server down, pulling the drives out one at a time, and running chkdsk /r on each (and on both partitions on the system drive) while it's connected to another computer. (Yes, I'm asking you to run chkdsk again.) If no errors are detected, you can try a server recovery, following the instructions in your documentation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by tedliq Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:04 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:08 PM

All replies

• You should run a check disk on all your drives. 
    --
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:13 PM
  • OK now I'm really screwed.  I ran checkdisk using remote desktop and now both drive lights on the front are unlit, the health light is flashing blue, and I cannot connect to the server using any method.  Since I cannot connect using remote desktop, it appears I cannot do a system recovery since the procedure indicates removing software items from the server prior to recovery.

Is this now a brick or what's the best option?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:27 PM
  • It sounds to me like you have a failing drive (probably your system drive). I would suggest shutting your server down, pulling the drives out one at a time, and running chkdsk /r on each (and on both partitions on the system drive) while it's connected to another computer. (Yes, I'm asking you to run chkdsk again.) If no errors are detected, you can try a server recovery, following the instructions in your documentation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by tedliq Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:04 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  I'd have to get an enclosure since I have nothing in the house with SATA interface.

I'm hoping since the health light is flashing and none of the drive bay lights are lit, it could still be running chkdsk since it sounds like the drives are spinning.

I'll give it until tomorrow and see what happens since I'd imagine running chkdsk /r on a total of 1GB of storage takes a bit of time.

Thanks again.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Also, if you have unsaved data in the shared folders, you could be interested in reading the FAQ How to recover data after server failure before attempting anything else.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:59 PM
  • That is normal - this is a HP EX Unit yes?  Your system has rebooted and it's checking the hard disk. The flashing blue right light (System LED) means the system is starting, when the disks are checking it's part of the startup process.

Don't panic - don't switch off - just let it check the disks.
    --
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:13 AM
  • so the chkdsk finished but still only one drive.  I'll grab an enclosure and xfer data.
    Very odd that this add-in has a habit of dropping system drives. 
    thanks
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

I'm pretty sure the add-in has nothing to do with your drive failure - if you are concerned that mymovies has caused a problem with your drive then you should contact them at their website.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:07 PM
  • So I pulled both drives, neither had any errors.
    Was able to save all my data thankfully.  Had a bit of fun running the restore but all seems well now.

I did contact the folks over at My Movies and not much of a response.  It certainly isn't the first instance of this occurring from what I have found.  I'd be wary of this add-in.

Thanks as always.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:03 PM