Integrate NAS into Mesh RRS feed

• General discussion

• Not sure how you would do it, but I'd like to be able to increase my 5GB storage allocation, by adding my own NAS box to the Mesh.  What if I could drop my Drobo or AirStation into my Mesh?  I could then potentially have terrabytes of storage space and this would become true cloud computing.

Potentially a scheme whereby for every 100Gb of NAS I add to the Mesh, MS take 1Gb for 'The Cloud'; Using this massively decentralised storage to provide redundancy and potentially improving speed using bittorrent technology.

Just a thought.

I definately need more space on my Mesh, though.  I understand Skydrive will be increasing to 25Gb in the very near future.  Could the Mesh team share the love around?
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 12:11 AM

All replies

• I'd love to see Skydrive and Mesh integrated as well.

If you have your drobo attached to something that you can run Mesh on, you could sync to it excluding the Mesh Desktop.  You wouldn't get access to the files on the web, but it could meet your needs.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 3:21 AM
  • P2P Sync is fine if you just want to keep a few files up to date across a couple devices, but the real beauty of Mesh is the ability to access a large volume of data from multiple web enabled devices, regardless of where they are  or who they belong to.  In the future I expect we'll be able to run applications directly from Mesh as well, so storage space on the Cloud will become more important and local storage less so.

The real benefit of Mesh becomes more apparent when using a sub-note or Netbook.  My measly 8gb solid state drive is barely enough to store just my essential files, so P2P sync is not an option. I'd love to have access to all my data via the Live Desktop, but recognise that Microsoft couldn't possibly provide end users with unlimited storage.  Being able to integrate my own NAS into the Mesh would resolve this problem and provide me with potentially limitless storage.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 9:17 AM
  • I guess that would currently work if you could find a NAS that ran an integrated version of Windows XP that also allowed installation of 3rd party (even though it's Microsoft, it's still 3rd-party to the NAS) software. When the Live Framework APIs are fully released I imagine you'll see a mini-linux client which would (at least) allow P2P access over Live Mesh and installation onto linux run NAS boxes (plenty of those around), allowing you to effectively use the NAS as a Live Mesh device.

Great idea for an Open Source project! :)
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Where's the problem? Just forget your NAS and buy a small PC. A thin client like the Gigabyte STA/C does a good job. Or try the new desktop-version of the eeePC. They are more intelligent than a NAS, are able to run XP and of course Live Mesh works!

Sunday, December 7, 2008 2:26 PM
  • how easy would it be to hook one of those up in a RAID configuration? The EEE's usually don't have the connectors for that and the thin clients often don't have hardware based RAIDs (and often are lacking in bays). I've been looking around for a cheap NAS that can be "played around with" - any recommendations?
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:21 AM