How to change WHS Vail SSL port from 443 to port 8443 RRS feed

• Question

• p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 10.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Verdana}

I currently have a pretty cool lab at my house compliments of my job and it keeps me up to date.  I've bult 4 computers I use as servers.  3 are running server 2008 R2 and 1 is running Windows 7 Ult.  I maintain an DC and Exchange 2010 on separate servers.  My question: I removed 2008 R2 on 1 server and installed WHS Vail.  The Remote Access Domain wants to use port 443 and I would like to change it to port 8443.

I have a LINKSYS/Cisco router RV082 port forwarding all 443 traffic to the Exchange server.  I already changed the binding on the WHS Vail server using IIS7 but it broke the CA and I don't know how to regenerate it. 

Does anyone have suggestions, my goal is the run Exchange on port 443 and WHS Vail on port 8443.  Once I have the port forwarding working I can then control the web site access with redirects UNLESS someone has a better solution.

Web Mystic
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:07 PM

Answers

• Changing port 443 on your server is unsupported, I'm afraid, and doing so will break the Remote Desktop access functionality, which uses the Terminal Services gateway functionality built into Windows Server 2008 R2. So changing the port will break your ability to connect directly to home computers and the server dashboard.

It will also break your ability to connect to the server to install the connector; instead you'll have to access the connector setup page directly at http://vail:55000/connect/default.aspx (I think, I'm not near my Vail server at the moment).

Instead of changing the port, you could try inbound and outbound port mapping rules in your router. Though I would expect that to create certificate errors when accessing your server from afar via the Remote Access web site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by WebMystic Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Ken - for the quick response.

I love your TAG line - it reminds me of a HIP HOP song by BIG PUN, "I'm not a player, I just crush a lot" :)

Keep posting we all appreciate responses to our questions.

I will attmpt to configure inbound/outbound mapping because I get CA errors anyway and they don't stop me from access the site.  If that doesn't work, I will simply change Exchange to port 8443 and allow WHS Vail to bind to port 443.  This is my first time with WHS and I'm really enjoying it.

Again - thanks

Web Mystic
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:52 PM

All replies

• Changing port 443 on your server is unsupported, I'm afraid, and doing so will break the Remote Desktop access functionality, which uses the Terminal Services gateway functionality built into Windows Server 2008 R2. So changing the port will break your ability to connect directly to home computers and the server dashboard.

It will also break your ability to connect to the server to install the connector; instead you'll have to access the connector setup page directly at http://vail:55000/connect/default.aspx (I think, I'm not near my Vail server at the moment).

Instead of changing the port, you could try inbound and outbound port mapping rules in your router. Though I would expect that to create certificate errors when accessing your server from afar via the Remote Access web site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Ken - for the quick response.

I love your TAG line - it reminds me of a HIP HOP song by BIG PUN, "I'm not a player, I just crush a lot" :)

Keep posting we all appreciate responses to our questions.

I will attmpt to configure inbound/outbound mapping because I get CA errors anyway and they don't stop me from access the site.  If that doesn't work, I will simply change Exchange to port 8443 and allow WHS Vail to bind to port 443.  This is my first time with WHS and I'm really enjoying it.

Again - thanks

Web Mystic
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:52 PM