MOBO Selection? RRS feed

• Question

•  

How do you decide on a Motherboard? I've tentatively decided on this one as chosen by RMD for his server. But am open to suggestions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131085R  ASUS P5B-VM DO

There are two outstanding factors. I also plan to use this case, Apex LX-800 also from his selection. It is uATX or ATX form. And I already have 2- 1GIG sticks of PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM that I want to use.

Any better ideas? It seems like a big world out there in MOBO Land.

Friday, November 30, 2007 3:48 PM

All replies

• I ended up selecting this MB because it is on the MS W2k3 Server compatibility list and all the W2k3 Server drivers on the ASUS web site. I also liked the fact it has 8 SATA connections and on-board gig Ethernet and VGA. It works extremely well with WHS.

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:13 PM
  • Thank You, That sounds good enough for me. I'll also go with that one as planned. One thing, I can get it from Newegg, in an "Open Box" that is fine with me for the savings, but it probably won't have the back Header Plate. The last Open Box MOBO I bought did'nt. Is there a place that I can get the plate?

Thanks, Ron

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Ron,

Did you ever figure out how to get the I/O shield?  I ordered this board "Open Box" board from newegg as well and it didn't have an I/O shield.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Unfortunately no. I just ordered the Apex case today and in the pictures it shows a I/O shield installed. I'm not sure if it will work with the board or not, I'll have to wait and see. Maybe someone will catch this and give a pointer. They must be available, I'd hate to build my server without one. Keep me posted if you find one. Cheers, Ron

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:16 AM
  • I don't think we are going to have much luck with a generic I/O shield.  I am going to contact ASUS directly tomorrow and see about getting the piece.  This is pretty annoying.  First and last time I order an "open box" motherboard.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:14 AM
  • I talked with ASUS and we can order the additional parts we need online.  Still cheaper then retail but not sure if I'll go the "open box" route again.  Below is the link for the P5B-VM board.

http://estore.asus.com/shop/category.asp?catid=506

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Thanks, Mugley. Good effort. Ron

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:28 PM