Windows Home Server - Unable to Connect to Server from a client machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows Home Server trial version on a dedicated machine. I have used Windows Update and updated WHS to reflect all updates. I have run the Connector Software on all Client Desktop Machines (All have Windows XP Pro SP3 and all windows updates).  I am able to use Remote Desktop Connection from the server, and connect to each client. However, I am unable to use Remote Desktop Connection from any of the clients when trying to connect to the server. 

My home network involves the following: (a) ADSL Modem (provided by the ISP). It is a combination Modem / Wireless Router. (b) Linksys Wireless Gigabit Router (WRT310N) (c) I am using Port forwarding. (d) I have changed the RDP port via Regedit from 3389 to unique values for each machine.

I have installed the following software on the server: (1) Comodo Firewall (2) AVG Free 2011 (3) PowerDesk 6 (4) TweakUI

Would appreciate any assistance / suggestions in resolving the problem in remotely connecting to the server from a client machine.  Thanks

Monday, October 18, 2010 5:02 PM

Answers

• Greetings Gents,

I ended up starting over with a clean install and without any add-on software.

I am now able to log into the server from a client machine.

Thanks again

Howard
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:49 AM

All replies

• The only user that can connect to the server using Remote Desktop is the Administrator user, which you've been using to log in to the server desktop. If that's not working, you should suspect one or more of the programs you've installed on your server via the desktop, probably the firewall in this case. For information on configuring third party software on your server, you would wnat to consult the vendor.

Note that the installation of software from the desktop isn't supported; end users of Windows Home Server are not expected to log in to their servers except through the server console application or the remote access web site. You should not, in general, think of Windows Home Server as "Windows Server 2003 lite" unless you're planning to develop an application (add-in) specifically for Windows Home Server. Even in that case, you would want to make sure that your tool plugged in to the console for it's admin functionality.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Hi Ken, thanks for getting back to me.  I was trying to log in under the Administrator account. Thus, this suggest that the problem may lie with one of the apps that I installed.  I will uninstall the firewall and see if this resolves the problem, and let you know.

Howard

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Ken,

after checking the apps that I installed on the server, I determined that I had NOT installed Comodo Firewall.  Thus, no need for me to uninstall. 

Howard

Howard
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Howard

Have you tried checking your WHS Date and Time ZOne settings.....

WHen i first installed WHS and tried to connect a client I found that the WHS install had ignored my Time ZOne settings and this meant that the server did not match my client. AFter changing WHS my client logged on AOK!!

Actually this problem appeared when I was trying to connect the connector software on the clients in the first place so may not be your problem.. just thought it was worth a try...

cheers

Jeff

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:31 AM
  • Greetings Gents,

I ended up starting over with a clean install and without any add-on software.

I am now able to log into the server from a client machine.

Thanks again

Howard
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:49 AM