Sql Server 2008 Change Tracking + MS Sync Service RRS feed

• Question

• It's been a while since I looked at Sync Service. But In the beginning of it, I remembered that there was alot of things to do to use the sync service, create tombstones table, triggers, stored procedures, etc.

I've just found out that with Sql Service 2008 you can enable the Change Tracking feature.

Does this mean that it is possible to use the Sync Service with Change Tracking feature without creating the tombstones tables, triggers, stored procedure ( I assume that all these will be handled by Sql Server 2008 with Change Tracking enabled).

Or I'm totally wrong?
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 2:27 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:25 PM

Answers

• The SQL Server Change tracking is reliable for the Sync Service.

As Bob Lan said, it is for SQL server 2008.  The Sync Adapter builder can help you to build the sync command for you. 
    Please refer to "How to: Use SQL Server Change Tracking", http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc305322.aspx.

If you have any specific question regarding using SQL Server change tracking in Sync Serivce, please raise as a different question.

Thanks.
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 5:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You are correct that Change Tracking can replace tombstones tables, triggers. However you still need to write the stored procedures if it is not SQL Server Compact Edition.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Has it been proven to be reliable the change tracking + ms sync service ? By searching on the forum, looks like it's not working correctly.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 1:16 PM
  • The SQL Server Change tracking is reliable for the Sync Service.

As Bob Lan said, it is for SQL server 2008.  The Sync Adapter builder can help you to build the sync command for you. 
    Please refer to "How to: Use SQL Server Change Tracking", http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc305322.aspx.

If you have any specific question regarding using SQL Server change tracking in Sync Serivce, please raise as a different question.

Thanks.
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 5:26 PM
    Answerer