Microsoft Staff - Please respond. Thank you RRS feed

• Question

• How can I use my licence key (on the sticker on the base of laptop computer) with the vanilla copy of windows XP pro that I have installed ?

I have paid for this licence, so surely I am authorised to use it ??

Last time I posted this message (about a week ago) , I was told by a microsoft staff member that they (MS) were working on a tool so that customers could change the key on their currently installed OS. My question is, if this quote below is from the microsoft page, then why cant I have this tool now ???

"The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically."

I have my own 25 character .. PAID FOR ... key. So can I please have this Product Key Update tool ?

Thank you

Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:35 AM

Answers

• GreatWhiteHope:

The tool that comes with the WGA kit was not made to be used with anything other then the kit.  We are working on a tool for people that have legitimate COA stickers that need to add them to their computer to make the legitimate.  We haven't been given a date for this new tool, but we've been told it will be soon.  I'm sorry I can't give an exact date.

Thanks,

Greg

Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:21 PM

All replies

• One final thing. If the reason I am not able to use this tool is that MS do not believe I am telling the truth, then I will gladly supply my product key from my sticker, the make/model of my laptop computer, the company details of where i purchased in Australia (as they will no doubt still have me on their system) and anything else you require so that I can once again get my laptop functioning properly again.

Thank You

Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:38 AM
  • The OEM Product Key affixed to your laptop computer is only valid with the laptop manufacturer's recommended method to restore their customized OEM version of Windows XP.  It is not valid when attempting to use any other Windows XP installation CD.
    Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:39 PM
  • Thanks mate, I know that  Hence the original question

I was able to use a Vanilla copy before, so my "situation" only just became a "problem" recently. And I no longer have that magical ASUS OEM version

Here's an idea. How about letting users use ANY XP Pro key with ANY version of XP Pro software ?

< ---- then we can all be one happy family

Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:19 PM
  • It all depends on whether you have a "retail" or "OEM" Windows XP Professional CD. If you have a "retail version", then an OEM Product Key will not work with retail installation media as it has a different SKU or "Stock Keeping Unit" which has a unique numeric identifier.
    Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:06 PM
  • GreatWhiteHope:

The tool that comes with the WGA kit was not made to be used with anything other then the kit.  We are working on a tool for people that have legitimate COA stickers that need to add them to their computer to make the legitimate.  We haven't been given a date for this new tool, but we've been told it will be soon.  I'm sorry I can't give an exact date.

Thanks,

Greg

Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:21 PM