none
Split and Merge operations tmeout

Question

• Forums Split and Merge operations seem impossible to complete these days. Appears to just eventually time out.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 3, 2014 1:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Dave

You arent the only one.  They are terrible here and this seems to have gotten worse of late. For example the last one I did ran for 189 seconds then timed out and this was on a page that was only 185 Kb.

In case it is localized I am in The US, NY

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, May 3, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Forums Split and Merge operations seem impossible to complete these days. Appears to just eventually time out.

+1

Cheers,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:46 AM
  • +1

Tried a merge today... failed all over itself.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:45 PM
  • +1

People tend to post in very very old threads in the Windows Genuine forums and the mod there has tried multiple times to split them to no avail.  So he ends up locking them instead.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Friday, May 9, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Friday, May 9, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Same here. When I attempt a merge, I get a very long delay, and then I get a page that says:

Connection Timed Out

Description: Connection Timed Out

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:25 PM
  • This seems to be working these days for me. Slow, but successful.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:38 AM
  • Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:07 AM
    Owner
  • Thx for checking Ed. I won't know if this is still an issue until I run across some more duplicate threads. I will post here again if this is still problematic.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:34 PM
  • I think this one is fixed. Anyone disagree?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:38 PM
  • I think this one is fixed. Anyone disagree?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Nope.  Slow but working

Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:45 PM
  • I'd agree to slow but have not had failures in a while.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:15 PM
  • Nope.  Slow but working
    +1

Thanks & Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

Sunday, June 29, 2014 4:41 AM
  • I've had occasion to do a couple of splits in recent days, and didn't notice any issues.

To Wanikiya and Dynami's point, it may be slow, but I almost always do splits and merges in separate tab (in the "background"), so I wouldn't notice any performance considerations.

Given what a split and/or merge does in a forums base the size of TechNet, frankly I don't find it odd at all that it might take a minute or more.... just as long as the UI doesn't TIMEOUT waiting for the task to complete.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:58 PM
  • I've had occasion to do a couple of splits in recent days, and didn't notice any issues.

To Wanikiya and Dynami's point, it may be slow, but I almost always do splits and merges in separate tab (in the "background"), so I wouldn't notice any performance considerations.

Given what a split and/or merge does in a forums base the size of TechNet, frankly I don't find it odd at all that it might take a minute or more.... just as long as the UI doesn't TIMEOUT waiting for the task to complete.

SolarWinds Head Geek

LG

+1 on the extra tabs after all that why they are there.  My usual setup for TN/MSDN is 3 open tabs.

OT:::  Been using the software for almost a decade +++

Monday, June 30, 2014 12:47 AM