IE 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone let MS install this on their Mediasmart WHS?  Any reasons to resist it?  If it's not a good thing how can I tell WinUpdate not to offer it as an update?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

• It's being deployed as part of the second "patch Tuesday" of the month, and it has been flagged as a high priority update for Windows Server 2003. Since Windows Home Server is built on Windows Server 2003, it's a high priority update for us too, which means that we are expected to install it. We are being prompted because we will be required to agree to a EULA when it actually installs; if it weren't for that it would install without any intervention on our part (assuming that the server is configured to automatically install updates, the recommended configuration).

As for the harm it may do, it changes how your browser works in a number of ways. Since you don't use the browser on your server (after all, it's not supported :) ) I would say the harm will be minimal. But YMMV.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:05 PM
  • I installed IE8 on WHS last night. 15 minutes later I uninstalled it. EVERY time I clicked a link I got a pop-up security warning and had to add the page to my "trusted" list. I mean every time. Including when IE8 opened for the first time and automatically took me to the Microsoft page to set up my default search engine. In 10 minutes I must have added 4 dozen pages to the trusted zone, practically all of which were microsoft. I uninstalled IE8 as fast as I could get to it and will never run it again. YMMV, of course.

I installed the update on both my servers (MSS 47X and OEM/homebuild) and have had no problems with it. I would advise anyone to do so. The update was flagged by MS as high-priority so as any other update it is to be considered vital.

FYI: By design IE on a server defaults to high security mode settings (IE Enhanced Security), resulting in the pop-ups you mention. This is because a server  is not designed to function as a workstation and priority is given to security and protection from malicious web content.

The IE8 security pop-up's you mention are informing you that some content of the page you requested contains information that was blocked for security reasons. Just check the box to stop prompting and you will be fine. In case you really need to enable the blocked content on a trusted site, just add it to the list of trusted sites. In my case the trusted sites list generally never contains more then 10 entries..

Alternatively, if you like to live dangeresly, you could disable the Enhanced Security Configuration for specific user groups on the server (control panel->Add or remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components: select "Internet Enhanced Security Configuration"). Not recommended and I should add that using the WHS desktop or using any windows feature from there is unsupported.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• It's being deployed as part of the second "patch Tuesday" of the month, and it has been flagged as a high priority update for Windows Server 2003. Since Windows Home Server is built on Windows Server 2003, it's a high priority update for us too, which means that we are expected to install it. We are being prompted because we will be required to agree to a EULA when it actually installs; if it weren't for that it would install without any intervention on our part (assuming that the server is configured to automatically install updates, the recommended configuration).

As for the harm it may do, it changes how your browser works in a number of ways. Since you don't use the browser on your server (after all, it's not supported :) ) I would say the harm will be minimal. But YMMV.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Since I don't use the browser in WHS I don't see a reason to install it.  Why waste the hard drive space?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:18 PM
  • lol.

I'm fine with that. I will install it, for a very similar reason: I don't use the browser, so who cares? (Actually that's not true; you use a web browser much more than you probably think. It's used as an embedded control when you're viewing most help files, for example.)

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Have you sir upgraded your memory to the 2GB?  I haven't done that and not sure I want to mess with that.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Well, 6 or 7 is there now, so it's probably not a major space burden--and it's probably already downloaded and sitting there taking up space as it is. Also there may be TBD unknown components in WHS that depend on TBD unknown components in IE.

I had this discussion with myself this morning.

I concluded that if Mother Microsoft though baby WHS needed IE8, who was I to argue?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:37 PM
  • I installed IE8 on WHS last night. 15 minutes later I uninstalled it. EVERY time I clicked a link I got a pop-up security warning and had to add the page to my "trusted" list. I mean every time. Including when IE8 opened for the first time and automatically took me to the Microsoft page to set up my default search engine. In 10 minutes I must have added 4 dozen pages to the trusted zone, practically all of which were microsoft. I uninstalled IE8 as fast as I could get to it and will never run it again. YMMV, of course.
    • Edited by richj44 Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Rich, if you never log in to your server desktop, and therefore never use the browser directly, you should never see those popups...
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Rich, if you never log in to your server desktop, and therefore never use the browser directly, you should never see those popups...
    Well no, of course you wouldn't.  However, I do log in directly, and plan to keep doing so from time to time, and that was the most infuriating piece of software I have ever had to deal with.  It made Vista's User Account Control seem almost trivial by comparison.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:02 PM
  • To some degree couldn't a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" apply here?  If one doesn't use the browser in WHS then what's the point in upgrading to IE8?

Unless upgrading fortifies against some kind of threat threat why bother? If you only sport 512MB in RAM save your disk space for wanted or needed add-ins.

Besides if you were going to use a browser on WHS wouldn't you want to use a more secure browser like Firefox?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:39 PM
  • I'm thinking Microsoft shouldn't have pushed IE8 to WHS without first informing us of the pros and cons of installing it. For now, I'm not installing it.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:19 PM
  • You shouldn't install IE8 on WHS if you want to use my Advanced Admin Console AddIn, because IE8 will break Advanced Admin Console. I'm currently readying a blog post on the technical details (visit my blog at www.home-server-addins-com). It looks like there's no workaround to the problem so that AAC will not be able to coexist with IE8.

Andreas M.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:17 PM

I installed the update on both my servers (MSS 47X and OEM/homebuild) and have had no problems with it. I would advise anyone to do so. The update was flagged by MS as high-priority so as any other update it is to be considered vital.

FYI: By design IE on a server defaults to high security mode settings (IE Enhanced Security), resulting in the pop-ups you mention. This is because a server  is not designed to function as a workstation and priority is given to security and protection from malicious web content.

The IE8 security pop-up's you mention are informing you that some content of the page you requested contains information that was blocked for security reasons. Just check the box to stop prompting and you will be fine. In case you really need to enable the blocked content on a trusted site, just add it to the list of trusted sites. In my case the trusted sites list generally never contains more then 10 entries..

Alternatively, if you like to live dangeresly, you could disable the Enhanced Security Configuration for specific user groups on the server (control panel->Add or remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components: select "Internet Enhanced Security Configuration"). Not recommended and I should add that using the WHS desktop or using any windows feature from there is unsupported.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:36 PM
  • I'm thinking Microsoft shouldn't have pushed IE8 to WHS without first informing us of the pros and cons of installing it. For now, I'm not installing it.
    Microsoft didn't push it to Windows Home Server. They pushed it to Windows Server 2003 as a high priority update. The Windows Home Server team probably got no real choice in the matter, and if your server is configured to install updates automatically, IE8 will be included (after you agree to the EULA).

As for "informing us of the pros and cons": if you're using your server in a fully-supported fashion, then there are probably no "cons" involved. And when has any software vendor ever concerned themselves with the possibility that someone who uses their software in an unsupported fashion might have problems with a patch?

Though I more or less agree with the broader point, that this was a bit of a rush job. :)

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:48 PM
  • If you only sport 512MB in RAM save your disk space for wanted or needed add-ins.

Besides if you were going to use a browser on WHS wouldn't you want to use a more secure browser like Firefox?
    I'm missing the connection between RAM and disk space and installing IE8.

IE6 is there by definition and WHS has likely already offered to upgrade to 7 via AutoUpdate. Are you clear on the fact that the disk footprint of IE8 is probably less than 10MB different, if that? (Ignoring for a moment all of the slop installing ANYTHING including the 10 security patches per month seems to leave around these days.) The first good browsing session will take up far more disk space for cached kaka than IE8 ever took up differentially over the IE6 that installed with WHS in the first place.

If I wanted to browse securely, I would first think of doing it from any machine BUT my WHS machine. Installing and using Firefox on my WHS box as a "more secure" alternate to IE would not occur in my thought process for quite a few more steps, if ever.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Has anyone let MS install this on their Mediasmart WHS?  Any reasons to resist it?  If it's not a good thing how can I tell WinUpdate not to offer it as an update?
    (I'm surprised this thread didn't show up until this afternoon.  I knew someone was going to bring this up...)

I don't have an HP MSS (I have OEM license).  However, I installed it without any issues last night.  IMO, anyone using WHS as designed should install it.  I seriously doubt there will be any problems with any MS app/tool on it since it's their OS.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:06 AM
  • I guess we all come to logical conclusions in different ways. I think that, if I'm using WHS as designed, then there's no reason to install something like IE8 which I'll never use or need. (I've never started whatever browser is currently installed on WHS.) Why invite possible trouble?
    On the other hand, if there's something in IE8 that we WHS users DO need to keep WHS healthy and/or secure, then we should be told that.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:27 AM
  • Logical, to me, is moving forward and installing IE8 unless you use the plugin mentioned above.  I can't imagine new plugins being written for an old browser moving forward.  If you can afford to adopt current software, it helps everybody in the long run.

Friday, May 1, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I have a HP.  I started the install, but cancelled at the first screen until I could check here to see if it was ok.  It then disappeared from the console.  Whats the safest way to install it?  Use Update Windows from IE and just install that, or will it show up again on update Tuesday?
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Try using the Update button in the Windows Home Server console.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Try using the Update button in the Windows Home Server console.
    Says no updates available.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Don't worry, it will come back. Eventually Microsoft will push it as a mandatory update. Right now the installation bootstrapper is a high priority update" and you can decline the installation at that point. At some point you will no longer have a choice. You will have to manually decline to install the update to IE8, or it will install automatically.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:54 PM