Active Directory groups added in Server Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to install CRM trial version.  According to the CRM Server Installation Instructions, it will create some Active Directory groups.  Can I control the naming of those groups or use existing groups? Also, does the Server Setup create logins/users in SQL Server?  If yes, what are they?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:19 AM

Answers

• Yes it should.

It is possible, as per the other reply, by installing CRM from the command line, to install as a non-domain administrator if the requisite groups have been pre-created.

However, it is probably easier and quicker to install as a domain administrator.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:29 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2008 10:00 PM

All replies

•  

The setup (CRM 4.0) will create five new groups.

PrivReportingGroup

Privileged Microsoft Dynamics CRM user group for reporting functions. This group is created during Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server Setup and configured during Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services Setup.

PrivUserGroup

Privileged Microsoft Dynamics CRM user group for special administrative functions; including CRMAppPool identity (domain user or NetworkService). The users who configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server must be added to this group.

SQLAccessGroup

All server processes/service accounts that require access to SQL Server; including CRMAppPool identity (domain user or NetworkService).

ReportingGroup

All Microsoft Dynamics CRM users are included in this group. This group is updated automatically as users are added and removed from Microsoft Dynamics CRM. By default, all Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Services reports grant Browse permission to this group.

UserGroup

All Microsoft Dynamics CRM users are included in this group. This group is updated automatically as users are added and removed from Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

You can' control the naming, but what I suggest that you do is create a new OU for these groups. During the installation, you can specify that the groups are created in a specific OU.

These groups will also be used to create logins in SQL Server.

The CRM Installation guide has more details - search www.microsoft.com/downloads for "crm 4 implementation guide"

Sunday, February 3, 2008 7:55 AM
  • For CRM 4. You can create the groups manually prior to install, and then use the command line install method to install CRM. You tell it what groups to use in the config.xml file in the <Groups> node, and set autogroupmanagementoff=true. This method will install CRM and not make any changes to AD. The installation guide explains the command line install in more details.

Monday, February 4, 2008 1:40 PM
  •  

Hi Feridun,

Thanks for the information.  I have checked out the CRM 4 Installing Guide.  I have also found this MS article: http://kbalertz.com/946980/manually-remove-Microsoft-Dynamics-server.aspx.   Since Server Setup will create both Active Directory groups and SQL Server logins, I assume that the Server Setup should be run by someone who is a member of domain administrators.

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Yes it should.

It is possible, as per the other reply, by installing CRM from the command line, to install as a non-domain administrator if the requisite groups have been pre-created.

However, it is probably easier and quicker to install as a domain administrator.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:29 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2008 10:00 PM