Tune Up is defragging my usb backup drive RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

How can I keep tuneup (Onecare v 1.6.2111.38) from defragging my usb
    backup drive which it automatically backups up to after performing automated tuneups?

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:00 PM

All replies

• I wasn't aware that Tune-up defragged the external drives. Are you seeing this in the Tune-up report? There aren't any settings to adjust what Defrag does, so if it is doing this, there's no way to configure it not to.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:48 PM
  • I was watching the details as tuneup was running and noticed it was defragging my usb backup drive,
    the backup drive light was blinking as if it was being read and or written to and I was not sure what
    would happen if I stopped the defrag so I let it complete - took quite a while.  It was definitely being
    defragged by OneCare tuneup. Thanks for your reply.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Steve: Please follow the hyperlink below to see screen capture of desktop showing
    Open OneCare windows and Explorer window - If you view Drive G details in each
    open window you will see that it is a Seagate usb drive listed as my backup drive
    for OneCare and that it is being defragged by OneCare Tune-Up prior to backing
    up to completing Tune-Up and Backing Up to itself.  I really don't like the idea of

backup drives being defragged until and unless I decide to do the defragging. 
    Are you sure there is no work around that still allows me to perform automated
    Tune-Up and Back Up?  I know I can leave the usb drive disconnected and

perform these services seperately but that defeats the purpose of having it

automated so it is not performed on a regular basis.  Thanks - Ken

http://www.flipdrive.com/download.php?file_id=53429&code=54b0407d5876ca5cbadae2ed409db404&show

Saturday, December 8, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Since there is no configuration for Defrag in Tune-up, if this is happening, there is no way to stop it short of removing the backup drive from the PC during Tune-up.

Hopefully, this can be changed.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:06 AM
  • I am having the same problem and I have three drives in the box and two external drives - all of which tuneup insists on defragging. I expect it will also virus scan all these drives as well; however I have no way of knowing because it never gets there due to the time it takes to defrag.

I am fed up with Onecare shouting at me everytime I start up by telling me that it hasn't done a tune up since goodness knows when. I have been trying every day for a week to get a full tune up done without success. It doesn't seem to have a facility for remembering what it has already completed in order to start from where it left off.

I have to keep one of the external drives running because part of tuneup is a backup to that hard drive. If I turn the hard drive off, Onecare tells me off for not having it available for backup purposes.

I refuse to leave my computer on all day and night for environmental and safety reasons so if a tuneup takes more than about 16 hours it will never be completed unless I can turn of defragging and virus scanning of some drives.

Best wishes to all you gurus

Denlong

Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:19 PM