PLEASE: Add "WHSv1-Backup" to WHS 2011 (means NTFS-drive with symbolic/hardlinks, folder structure by date....) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I upgraded my WHS v1 to the new WHS 2011 and in general, I´m very happy with the stability and the new features.

I´m not missing the DE feature, because I replaced my old small drives with new 2 TB drives, so enough space for me....
    I configured my server to do the backup of the "serverfolder" drive to an additional internal drive, so I created my own "folder duplication". Works well for me....

but there is one very important features from version 1, that is missing.

In WHS v1, it was possible to backup the server data to an external drive.
    The drive was simply NTFS-formatted
    The data was saved in an folder structure (named backupdate-time..)
    The nice thing about it:
    Data that has not changed from last backup, was only included as symbolic/hardlink in the new backup folder to the file that was in an older backup folder.

With this, each folder "shows" a complete backup for the specific date, but there was only one "real" version of each specific file on the drive.

Result:
    Direct access to all data when pluggin the external drive to a Windows-PC!!!!

I know some projects that use the rsync features for creating such tools, but it´s not official and not well supported by these guys. I think MS already have the code form WHS v1, so just add it as additional Backup option to the WHS 2011.

PLEASE, MICROSOFT ADD THIS AGAIN TO WHS 2011.

Thanks

Stefan

• Edited by StefanK77 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:46 PM change some typos
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• You can back up both WHS2011 Server and data to an external drive.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Hi Phil,

one question?

Is this backup to the external drive readable as NTFS file/folder structure on another PC?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:58 PM
  • It's certainly NTFS and I believe it is in a .vhd format. I have not tried to read it on another PC but backups are incremental so all the data will be there. I will try it unless someone else can confirm whether it is readable.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:13 PM
  • The backup of your server is a .vhd file, a "virtual hard drive". Windows 7 has tools built in to mount this drive directly, using either Disk Management or the diskpart command line tool. You should then be able to access the data in the current backup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:29 PM