none
32- bit SDK for HPC Server 2008 fails --- "The procedure entry point GetProcessIdOfThread could not be located..." RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if anyone has run into the following with the RTM of the SDK for HPC Server 2008.  I have various 64-bit MPI apps that run fine with the 64-bit version of the new SDK.  But I wanted to do some demos under 32-bit Windows XP Pro, so I rebuilt the apps for 32-bit, installed the 32-bit SDK on the Windows XP machine, and then tried to run my apps via mpiexec:

mpiexec -n 4 MyMPIApp.exe

Immediately, a dialog pops up that says "The procedure entry point GetProcessIdOfThread could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll".  I close the dialog, and the console window then displays:

ReadFile() failed, error 109
      Error: unable to start the local smpd manager

I disabled the firewall, same result.  Rebooted, same result.  Installed MPI.NET and ran one of my MPI.NET apps, exactly the same error.  If I uninstall, and install the SDK for Compute Cluster Pack, the error goes away.  So something is up with the new SDK.

Any ideas?  Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 7:16 PM

Answers

All replies

•  Dr. Hummel,
    Thanks for the bug report, this is a real issue, we broke something when we fixed another bug. We're looking at how to fix this now, hopefully we can do it, it looks like to fix the original problem we used an API that is not supported on 32-bit Windows XP.
    I'm sorry that we did not catch this before we shipped.
    -Thanks, John Daly, HPC Test Manager.
    johndaly
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Any luck so far?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:03 PM
  • We have a fix, we should release it in the next week or 2, thanks for your patience!
    -john
    johndaly
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hi JohnDaly,

we encountered the same issue..

Any news, when the fix will to be released?

We are working on a little scientific project here but cannot finalize our results on Windows XP before the fix will be available.

Thanks!

Marcus
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Thanks for your patience!
    We'll be releasing it this week.
    -thanks, John Daly
    johndaly
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:27 AM
  • The fix is now available for download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6415c650-78a3-4b6a-8264-b855173b14d8&DisplayLang=en 

Thanks for your patience, this was the first SDK patch that we've needed to release so we spent a little extra time making sure that everything (backend stuff that will be applicable to any future SDK patch) was working correctly.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:48 PM
  • The fix is now available for download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6415c650-78a3-4b6a-8264-b855173b14d8&DisplayLang=en 

Thanks for your patience, this was the first SDK patch that we've needed to release so we spent a little extra time making sure that everything (backend stuff that will be applicable to any future SDK patch) was working correctly.
    Hi Don Pattee,
                       I also got the same problem. 
                       I have installed your patched now.
                       But this time i get the error from GetLogicalProcessorInformation, in the same error msg.
                       I am using Windwos XP Professional. And I have installed both Compute Cluster Pack SDK v1 and HPC Pack 2008 SDK with your Fix. 
                       I have avg installed at my machine but I stopped it completely. Also I tried to build my app with both Compute Cluster pack and HPC SDK 2k8 but every time I got the same error.
                       Please help me.
    Regards, Muhammad Zubair

ONe more thing.
                        I don't have installed MPICH2 and MPI.NET Installed at my machine.
                        And I have Intel P4 3.0 GHz ( 2 CPUs)
       My OS is Windows XP Professional (5.1 build 2600)
    • Edited by M_Zubair Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:21 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Muhammed,
    Thanks for the report, I forwarded it to someone to look at, thanks for reporting it, we'll let you know what we find.
    -thanks, John Daly
    johndaly
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Thanks
    alright I am waiting for your reply desperately.
    Thanks alot
    Zubair
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

What Service Pack do you have installed with your Windows XP?
    According to the documentation of GetLogicalProcessorInformation this function should be avilable with Windows XP SP3.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683194(VS.85).aspx

Thanks,
    .Erez
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Well I have SP2.
    Could you please tell me how can i update my machine to SP3.
    Regards
    Zubair
    Monday, April 27, 2009 11:00 AM
  • Zubair,
    You can find it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx
    let us know if this fixes the issue for you!
    -thanks, John Daly
    johndaly
    Monday, April 27, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Yahooooooooooooooooooo i got my problem solved my using SP3 .
    Rocks Microsoft....
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Great, I'm glad we could help, thanks for your patience!
    -John Daly, Windows HPC Test Manager
    johndaly
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:53 PM