none
How Do We Add Forums to "My Forums"? RRS feed

• Question

• The only way I can find to navigate to a forum is either to search for it in "My Threads", or use "My Forums". Luckily I had configured most of the forums I frequent in "My Forums", but now I cannot find how to add forums to my list. Does anyone know? The old method doesn't work. Maybe there is no new method. I don't like the "My Forums" list (it fails to indicate recent activity), but it's the only way to open a forum if I haven't been there recently.

Oh, nice title. I need to add that to my list of quirks. Any quote character becomes the html tag equivalent, ". Also, note that any edit of a post now requires at least a 4 character reason.

Oh, I wasn't required to give a reason this time. Maybe only edits to replies (edit button at the bottom) require a reason.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:56 AM

Answers

• The easiest way to see questions in a particular forum is to select the forum in our view all box. You can do this by:

• Clicking View All on our home page
    • Typing the name of the forum in the search box
    • Clicking the checkbox next to the forum name
    • Clicking the blue submit button.

To add a new forum to your list of Forums, click the Add to My Forums link before clicking the Submit button in the View All box.

I've attached a screenshot of the View All box below so you can get a visual picture of the links and boxes you need to click. (I am searching for the Transact-SQL forum in the screenshot).

Many of the features we had in our old experience are also present in our new experience. They may however, in some instances, be de-emphasized based on current usage patterns on our site, with other more used features taking the spotlight.

We'll continue to innovate and improve the experience for everyone that uses the site, including our MVPs, so please do continue sharing your concerns. We are listening.

Life is one big road with a lot of signs.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:29 AM

All replies

• I'm with you on this. The search is great but we've lost other useful functionality such as My Forum Threads (by far my most-used-view of forums)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Forums Home used to show my most recently visited forums on the first page. Right now clicking on Forums brings lots of threads many of them I would never normally see.

I am thinking that if this is how the forums are going to look now, I am going to quit the forums. I can not use them the way they are now.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:27 AM
  • A lot of us are getting frustrated. I think I'm going to continue awhile, maintain my list of quirks and bugs (getting large), then maybe after I settle down I will post a list in the new Redesign Discussion forum (which I cannot find).

I will say the re-design does use more horizontal space, which is good. If the search is as advertised (I haven't tested, search rarely works for me), that is great for new users. I think the focus was on the experience of new users trying to find the answer to a question. They don't care where they are, or whether there is new activity. Maybe the redesign is good for them (if they aren't flagged abusive).

So far, I think moderation and keeping up with activity in the forums I frequent (so I can answer questions) will be more difficult.

I actually preferred the old newsgroups. I kept up with 12 newsgroups easily, including some where I was not expert but was interested. Now, 5 forums was about my limit before today. Now I may need to cut back more.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:40 AM
  • The easiest way to see questions in a particular forum is to select the forum in our view all box. You can do this by:

• Clicking View All on our home page
    • Typing the name of the forum in the search box
    • Clicking the checkbox next to the forum name
    • Clicking the blue submit button.

To add a new forum to your list of Forums, click the Add to My Forums link before clicking the Submit button in the View All box.

I've attached a screenshot of the View All box below so you can get a visual picture of the links and boxes you need to click. (I am searching for the Transact-SQL forum in the screenshot).

Many of the features we had in our old experience are also present in our new experience. They may however, in some instances, be de-emphasized based on current usage patterns on our site, with other more used features taking the spotlight.

We'll continue to innovate and improve the experience for everyone that uses the site, including our MVPs, so please do continue sharing your concerns. We are listening.

Life is one big road with a lot of signs.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Thanks, that helps a lot. One gotcha for me (and perhaps for others) was I never clicked the arrow symbol to expand and see the catagories (and the View All button). I remember it now from the videos. Once I did that, your screen shot helped a lot. I added several forums to "My Forums" so I can find them now.

I wonder if most people don't see the "View All" when they first go to the forum home page. I didn't.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:48 AM