none
Are MVPs no longer included in the list of Top Answerers ? RRS feed

• Question

• The latest revision has finally got rid of the "feature" that had me permenently at number 2 in the list of top answerers for a forum provided I posted once each 30 days.

That change is (I suppose <grin>) for the good as we now have a genuine list.

But is there a but ?

I notice that just like Microsoft posters earlier, none of the MVP posters are now included in the list of Top Answerers for the forum I looked at.

Is this just by coincidence or has there been such a change ?

If the code has been changed to knock MVPs off the Top Answerers list, I don't agree with it. It was fine to have a separate list of Microsoft people because they were (99.9% of them) being paid to provide answers in the forums (and often enough were far too keen to mark their answers as answers), but MVPs just like everyone else provide answers in their spare time and ought to be included in the standard (*per forum*) Top Answerers list - if they make it there. It's then up to you whether you also have a separate Top MVP Answerers list or not.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:20 PM

All replies

• There is a bug because I have been removed from all forums I use most I am a top answerer, MVP answerer and Moderator.  The new list is mostly Microsoft employees and old time moderators who have not contributed to the new forums. 
    Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:19 PM
  • MVPs SHOULD be showing. I'll take a quick look.

Thanks
    Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:14 PM
  •  I'll need to break the response into two parts:

1. Yes, MVP's should be in the list it's a bug and will be part of the next release.

2. The list counts are now at the Forum level versus all forums. So when looking at top answers for any given forum, it'd be sorted by the Total Answers In THAT forum. When it's a group of forums, the it's the sum of answers across THOSE forums. Before it was always Total Answers across ALL forums.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:45 PM
  • 2. is of course how it should be. No complaints there.

As for 1. I'm happy to hear that I wasn't imagining things, but happier still to know that it will be fixed.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:26 PM
  • (So when looking at top answers for any given forum, it'd be sorted by the Total Answers In THAT forum.)

The problem with the above is the current list includes Microsoft employees, moderators and MVP who have not contributed to the new forums in the list and I who have been active since the migration does not exist.  I think 30 days or point of migration needs to be used to reflect current contributors.  The C# general is just one my ranking is invalid in all forums I use at the moment.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads/

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:15 PM
  • I think it's always been thirty days.

The old problem used to be that the order was  before based on the total posts for all time *provided someone posted at least once in the past 30 days*.

I was assuming they made it a genuine 30 days when they got rid of that oddity.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Not in the Developer division forums check the MVP list in the C# general I don't exist and four MVPs who are not here are in the list.  That is all developer division forum ranking in the current build is plain wrong.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Caddre is right.  The top listed answerer in the CLR forum right now is Shawn Farkas.   Not only is he a MSFT employee, he hasn't posted to that forum in well over two years.   Next is Alois, haven't seen him in ages.   Chris Lyon is MSFT, long gone too.  Lots more old names.

Top Microsoft answerer list, same story.  All long retired.  Top MVP (hey, there I am), lots of old names too.  Can't make a call on "recent moderators".

I can see the possibility of glitches on the MSFT membership, the 30 day filter however is definitely not working.  Showing the answer count could really help troubleshoot this.  That has also been a *very* popular request.  And good for forum health.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 8:08 PM
  • The 30 days filter works kind of. If a person resurrects an old thread, so that the last posting day is in these 30 days, and if a former top answerer is found in this resurrected thread, he seems to appear in the top answerers list.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 11:12 AM
  • The reason I thought this had changed was because in all the SharePoint forums I have ever posted to, I used to be second on the list with Paul Galvin first. This was the same for several months. (As your theory went into action)

Recently - but only on the ones where I could reasonably be expected to have posted more answers than him - the order was reversed and I was first and he was second. So something changed !  (Apart from us now having our own "MVP posters" list.)
    Monday, November 24, 2008 2:38 PM
  • What both of you are saying is not relevant to the Developer division forums because again I am not one of the MVP in the top list in C# general forum while four none active MVPs are on the list and the top user list as Hans said includes many Microsoft developer division users who are not active in the forums now.  The ranking in the developer division forums in the current build is using very obsolete data so it needs to be fixed.

The Microsoft employees in the list have not posted for more than one or two years and the MVPs have not posted for more than six months.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads/

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Hi Caddre,
    Caddre said:

What both of you are saying is not relevant to the Developer division forums because again I am not one of the MVP in the top list in C# general forum while four none active MVPs are on the list and the top user list as Hans said includes many Microsoft developer division users who are not active in the forums now.  The ranking in the developer division forums in the current build is using very obsolete data so it needs to be fixed.

The Microsoft employees in the list have not posted for more than one or two years and the MVPs have not posted for more than six months.

as I said - search for the threads of one of the outdated posters.
    Should be sorted by date of last posting in thread. I am relatively sure, that one of these threads, in which an ancient answerer has been marked as answerer, has gotten a reply within the last 30 days.

This causing not only the 30 day timer to jump on this last answer date of the thread instead of the poster, but also adds up all points this answerer accumulated (in the forum?) all over the time, so this may make it possible to bring you out of the list or down in the list, even if the answerer has not seen several month.

Besides that I have my MVP tag still attached, even if I got not reawarded in October. (Ok, well earned over the last 9 years, so it may stay sticky, but this should not mean, that new awarded MVPs do not get their tag applied). I would also take exMVP as tag ;-)

With the point count and filtering features something runs wrong currently as mentioned already here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/bd221e0c-1df2-4ebb-9239-d180ef4aaa82, with some argument, why the 30 days filter currently does not function very well.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:27 PM
  • That means the cumulative posts per user is not coming from past 30days threads which is so wrong.

Monday, November 24, 2008 10:00 PM