none
Slow File Transfer WHS w/Remote Desktop -SOLVED!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Phenom II x4 w 4GB Ram 3 2tb 7200RPM Drives, WHS OEM.  

My problem is when I copy a file from my USB 3 external drive to my \\server\video folder I am only get 10MBs transfer.  When I copy for my USB 3 to C:\ (on whs) I get about 50MBs.  I RDP into my server so it's not going through the network card, in fact I check network status and shows 0%.

I also have an issue when copying over my network, the transfer speeds is only 10MBs a sec also and that the network card (Realtek PCIe Gigabit) is only utilizing about 13-16% checking network under task manager.

UPDATE:

I have tried copying files off to the USB drive and and screams at 70MBs+.  I did some test on my old PC and can copy to that about 18MBs.  I have all the same add-in on both and the new machine has faster HD's, Processor, More Ram, Etc..  I'm I missing a setting or something??  Also copying of my old server is only around 50MBs so I would think the new server should save faster.

Matt

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:00 PM

All replies

• SOLVED!!!!

The problem was my AVAST anti-virus.  After I turned off active protection I am now flying at 80+MBs....  Not sure why my older/slower machine was faster with AVAST on for file writes.  I am going to try to get an answer from AVAST on why this so UBBER slow.

• Proposed as answer by HydroSam Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:15 PM