none
Compute node remote desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Is it ok for me to allow users to remote desktop the compute nodes in the cluster?  In other words, will the overall performance of the cluster be degraded if I have users connect to the compute nodes via remote desktops in order to submit jobs?  Is the cluster smart enough to use the processors from the nodes that are not busy when jobs are scheduled?  What is recommended practice by Microsoft on the above questions?  
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:40 PM

Answers

• While having users log in to the compute nodes to submit jobs could work, it is not recommended or supported. Remote desktop connection to the cluster is only supported for administrative purposes by users with admin rights on the cluster.

Normal use would be for the users to have the Windows HPC Server 2008 client utilities installed and to submit there jobs from their domain joined desktop or laptop to the cluster without any sort of login. They will be prompted for valid cluster credentials. When using remote clusters, I often first remote into a terminal server that is joined to the same domain as the cluster. This is the recommended way for access to a cluster that is not a part of the domain infrastructure that contains the cluster.

The client utilities can be installed on Windows XP, Vista, or Server 2003/2008 systems. Just use the same setup directory as for a head node or compute node install but select 'Client Utilities Only'.

Frankie
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:28 PM