Reinstalling MS Money app RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a serious problem with my Toshiba laptop, and ended up having to delete all my programs (data was to remain).  The problem was solved, but now MS Money is gone.  I have reinstalled the software, but now I am unable to open the file.  I don't know if my data files are still available.  Help me please :-)

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:36 PM

All replies

• Your data file is a .mny file, - probably Money.mny.  You should also have backup file (.bak). Before you do anything else, find those files, verify that they have recent dates, and copy them to a different media such as a flash drive or DVD.  In the future, you need to maintain a reasonably current copy of those files and they need to be stored somewhere other than on your laptop.

Next, to get Money running again, you need to install the same version of Money (or possibly a newer version) that you were using when you last used the Money.mny file.  Post back with:

- what version of Windows are you using

- where are you located - US, UK or elsewhere

- what version of Money did you have installed before your problem with the laptop, if you know that

- what version of Money did you install to open you Money file and was it from a download, or DVD

- what error message do you get when you open Money

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, February 10, 2017 7:52 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 7:48 PM