Onecare causes system lockup RRS feed

• Question

• I'd had Onecare for the free trial and had been having occasional lockups that I attributed to heat on the one hand and possibly adware or something on the other.

I decided to go ahead and purchase Onecare.

Coincidentally, within a day of the purchase, I upgreaded to SP3 of Windows XP.

I started having lockups on a daily basis, and eventually reached a point where I couldn't even boot the computer without it locking up within a couple of minutes of logging in to Windows.

I ended up booting into safe mode and, with no other obvious choices to make short of uninstalling SP3, I disabled the Onecare system service.

Onecare failed to start, of course, but my lockup problems went away. Even the ones that I had attributed to heat buildup.

After a few days, I ran into a firewall exclusion that could only be resolved by activating and starting Onecare. I set the service to automatic and started it. The computer did not lock up, and I was able to get the firewall exclusion dialog to appear. (The dialog that asks "This program is accessing the internet. Do you want to allow this?")

I rebooted the computer afterward. Upon logging in, it locked up within a couple of minutes. I repeated the process of booting into safe mode and disabling the Onecare service. Since then, I've had no lockups.

At this point, I'm looking for advice. I just paid $50 for this software and it turns out that instead of solving my problems, it was apparently what was causing them. I've got Onecare installed on two other computers now (the license covers three) and those computers are apparently running it fine.

I'm happy to provide whatever system info might help resolve this.

Thanks.

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:49 AM

Answers

• I would suspect either a previously installed antivirus product did not uninstall correctly or one of your applications that is set to run at startup is conflicting with One Care. Go to the vendor website of the antivirus software previously installed and look for a uninstall tool. If that does not help or does not apply disable all of the applications set to run at startup, then enable them one at a time until you find the one that is conflicting. You also might check that there is no other antispyware or antivirus software installed. The best option would be contacting support for help with this issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:50 AM