Deploy CRM 4.0 Client using SMS 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Looking to see if anyone out there has managed to install CRM v4 using SMS.  I tried it with the command line using setupclient.exe /q /l <logfile> etc.  But I got a failure in SMS exit code -2 (even though the log files on my client reported a success.)  The toolbar didn't show in Outlook but the menu items on the start menu (SQL \ Client config etc) were present.

After searching the guides I found a statement that I should use client.msi from the client folder but when I try to run this manually it tells me to use the setupclient.exe so I don't expect it to work in SMS. 

Anyone any ideas - the docs are lacking.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:33 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

I wonder what the CRM for Outlook installation is checking. Perhaps you have the Exchange Server Administration tools installed and that's what is upsetting the installation?

I presume that you've had a good look through Add/Remove Programs and your Program Files directory to see what might be causing the problem.

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Imran,

This is the full fail message I get in SMS:

The program for advertisement "GMP203B6" failed ("GMP001C7" - "Micorosoft CRM Laptop Client v4"). A failure exit code of -2 was returned. User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of -2 is considered a failure. Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.

The install works OK - The log files tell me it's a good install, I just wanted to see if I could get SMS to report a success so that i can mamage the deployment. 

This is on a virgin machine

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:21 PM
  • EnglishKeith,

Did you ever manage to ge this resolved?

I've just come up against your exact same scenario here - trying to deploy via SMS2003 and I get a return status of -2, causing the install to be reported as "failed"

Cheer,s

Brendan.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:40 PM
  • Brendan,

I found out the reason for the error code:

If you deploy using SMS2003 setupclient.exe what it does is SMS runs the exe which extracts all the pre requisites and extracts client.msi then closes "before" the setup is complete.  SMS sees that the setupclient.exe has finished but the client.msi has yet to return a code (it's still running) therefore the exit code is a -2 (no code found).

Solution - I packaged

setupclient.exe /q /l C:logfile.txt INSTALLLEVEL=3 /targetdir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client

within a wise script.  I kept the wise script alive by looping with an "install message" until the Configuration Wizard icon was detected on the start menu (I know it's Micky Mouse but it works).   Now I run the Wise exe in SMS which stays alive until the install is complete and I get a sucess message when it's finished. 

Technically all SMS is doing is checking to see the wise exe completed not to see if the install was good, however I just deployed 65 machines with only 2 fails (bad network connections they lost connection during the install.)   In getting a success code from SMS I can now use SMS to force a reboot - trust me it needs a reboot.  MS says no reboot is needed but if you don't reboot I have found that when running the config wizard as a power user it fails to create the master database as SQL has yet to set permission on the Prog Files\MS SQL folder.  I would say 60% fail if not rebooted.  If you get the master database error it's a total uninstall then reinstall - ouch.  

I did have to create another script that copied all the files to the local machine first C:\Windows\Temp directory so that when I distruibuted my SMS environment it installed from a local location not over the WAN.  Other wise I would have had to package all the source files into the Wise script to be extracted at the time of deployment and I thought it easier to copy the files silently before running the install so it was less impact on the client during the install.

I have yet to sleep and wish I could charge MS for the hours I put into this......we are about to deploy 600+ clients by June so I have escalated this issue of bad enterprise deployment within MS.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need more (or less) info....

Keith

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:50 PM
  •  

Would it be possible to see your code for the install.  I have been trying to get the command line to run in a script but it fails immediately.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Does this help?

item: Execute Program
      Pathname=%MAINDIR%\setupclient.exe
      Command Line=/Q /l %MAINDIR%\SetupClient.txt INSTALLLEVEL=3 /targetdir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client"
    end
    item: Remark
    end
    item: Custom Script Item

Filename=Display Progress Message.wse
       Microsoft CRM Client for Outlook v4 is installing on your machine.  Please be patient, this install can take up to 30 minutes.  Your machine will be rebooted automatically once the install has completed.

item: If/While Statement
      Variable=NEWVAR
      Value=0
      Flags=00010000
    end
    item: Check if File/Dir Exists
      Pathname=%ALLUSERS%\Programs\Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0
      Flags=00100100
    end
    item: Set Variable
      Variable=NEWVAR
      Value=1
    end
    item: End Block
    end
    item: End Block
    end
    item: Remark
    end
    item: Custom Script Item
      Filename=Display Progress Message.wse

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Yes so are copying all the files to the machine and then running the install?  We normally do not display anything for the user.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:06 PM
  • Yes - we use SMS to copy the source files silently to the Windows\temp directory then run the script to install from the local source.

We display a progress message to make sure all apps are closed while the install takes place - opening Outlook during the install is a disaster.  There is no "progress bar" built in with the original install (it's either full UI or totally silent) so I just place a message on the screen saying "Be Patient, this could take a while, etc"

It's a pain and a two step process that should only be one. 

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:17 PM
  •  

Are you using a script also to copy the files down?  I am getting ready to do a mass roll out and need to determine the best possible solution.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:24 PM
  • I'm using Wise Script to "Install" the files silently to the local machine - it packages up all the files into a single exe which can be distributed accross our sms enterprise and then the sms advert just runs the script from the local distribution point.

item: Set Variable
      Variable=MAINDIR
      Value=C:\Windows\Temp\CRM4
      Flags=10000000
    end

item: Install File
      Source=d:\Profiles\My Documents\Work\Apps in progress\Crm\v4\V4 Source\Increase.vbs
      Destination=%MAINDIR%\Increase.vbs
      Flags=0000000010100010
    end
      Source=d:\Profiles\My Documents\Work\Apps in progress\Crm\v4\V4 Source\CRM_Client_Config.bat
      Destination=%MAINDIR%\CRM_Client_Config.bat
      Flags=0000000010100010
    end
      Source=d:\Profiles\My Documents\Work\Apps in progress\Crm\v4\V4 Source\install_client.xml
      Destination=%MAINDIR%\install_client.xml
      Flags=0000000010100010
    end
      Source=d:\Profiles\My Documents\Work\Apps in progress\Crm\v4\V4 Source\client.msi
      Destination=%MAINDIR%\client.msi
      Flags=0000000010100010
    end
      Source=d:\Profiles\My Documents\Work\Apps in progress\Crm\v4\V4 Source\default_client_config.xml
      Destination=%MAINDIR%\default_client_config.xml
      Flags=0000000010100010
    end
      Source=d:\Profiles\My Documents\Work\Apps in progress\Crm\v4\V4 Source\dotNETFX\dotnet2.exe
      Destination=%MAINDIR%\dotNETFX\dotnet2.exe
      Flags=0000000010100011
    end

etc etc etc - for all the source files

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:13 PM
  • I will probably do something similar thanks for the prompt responses. 

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:34 PM