Windows Live Mesh filled my hard drive with temp files RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a 50gb boot partition with windows 7 on it on my desktop. This morning I turned it on and was greeted by a message stating that I was low on disk space, only a few MB of space left. After some searching, I discovered that the folder C:\Users\"my profile"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mesh\Assembler\ contains 16.8gb of tmp and other unknown file types. The newest Live Mesh beta filled the remaining space on my hard drive with these files.

Since my desktop syncs with my laptop, I checked to see if my laptop was affected as well. I only found 11.8GB of these files in the same folder, but still this shouldn't be happening.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:01 PM

All replies

•  

You are referring to Windows Live Mesh (not a beta any longer), not Live Mesh beta - www.mesh.com - being discontinued on 3/31/11.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:38 AM
  • That's not a very useful response.  I went to the link you posted and found nothing useful that help with this.  I found two folders that are the culprit: Assembler, and MR.

Live Mesh is such an awesome tool to sync files, but these undocumented problems and lack of knowledge base are a joke.

Can anyone tell me:

1. Why is Live Mesh bloating up my C: in this arcane directory?

2. Can I safely delete these very large files and folders?

I'm afraid this will either get ignored or I'll get a similar unhelpful response.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:07 AM
  • The reason that the answer was not useful is because it was posted in the wrong forum. You're referring to a different program than the topic of this forum.

I agree that the lack of information is not very helpful.

On my machine running Windows Live Mesh and synchronizing IE favorites and a single folder of files between multiple computers, the Assembler folder is empty. The MR folder contains 3 sub-folders that are all empt, too.

The best answer that I can provide is that you might try to move these files to a temporary location to see what effect this has on Windows Live Mesh on your connected PCs.

As far as I know, these folders are the working locations for data that is in progress for sync. If your sync is not successfully completing - that is, there are unresolved conflicts for you to deal with, perhaps these folders contain the files that are in process or were in process before something interrupted the sync or prior to you resolving conflicts. I doubt that it is the latter, though, as a conflict will create a duplicate file in the destination folder for sync with the source PC name appended.

To discuss this further with other users and perhaps support techs of/for Windows Live Mesh 2011, post to the other forum.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Thanks.  I posted a question here (from the link you provided):

http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?postid=ec669226-33ab-41e2-a603-cdc61538ac91#ec669226-33ab-41e2-a603-cdc61538ac91

No answer yet so far.

I use Mesh to sync files and photos, so the temp folders got up to 35GB (on a 50GB partition; my antivirus update failed due to lack of space which prompted me to check).

Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Hopefully there will be a response over there. I'm a bit overextended as it is, so I don't visit there often, though I need to get over there and apparently need to do more heavy lifiting on Windows Live Mesh.

If all of your files are indeed in sync, though, I would move those files out of the \assembler and \MR folders to see what the impact is on WLMesh. The folders in MR might have a specific purpose, so moving them might be bad, but their contents would likely be worth moving if they are large.

As I noted, mine are all empty. I can see no reason why the folders would contain data unless a sync was in progress or there was a problem with the sync.

-steve

Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I have the same exact problem but with a slightly different setup.  There are two ways to go about fixing this.  Choose the method that best suites your situation. 

Method 1

Assuming this is a newly setup folder sync then the best thing to do prior to setting up the sync is to seed the data onto the second computer manually.  Once your data is duplicated in both places, then setup your Mesh on that folder and assign the second computer.  Mesh will scan all of the files and determine which ones are different and start its sync.  If done correctly it won't find any files that are different and will report that the sync is complete.  No temp files created.  You may want to use a tool like Robocopy to do the manual seeding process.  Make sure you use the switch /COPYALL.  This way mesh won't find any differences with the files.  A Windows copy may or may not modify the security or the modified date of the files which may cause mesh to see them as different.

Method 2

Move the temp file location to a second presumably larger HDD.  This is my setup.  I have a 64 GB solidstate drive running the OS and a 2 TB second HDD for storing all of my data.  I am syncing all of the important data on the 2TB drive over to my work computer where I installed a 1TB second HDD.  This way I have an up to date off site backup of all of my most imporant stuff, namely photos and videos of my family.

You can successfully move the temp files to the second drive by utilizing a file Junction.  First, close Windows Live Mesh.  Make sure it is not running.  Next navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft.  Cut the Windows Live Mesh folder and Paste it onto the root of your second HDD.  Next open an elavated command prompt window (Start, in search type CMD, right click the result and choose, "run as administrator") and type into the command window:  MKLINK /J "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mesh" "D:\Windows Live Mesh"

Now to test, add a new txt file or folder into the "D:\Windows Live Mesh" folder.  Then navigate to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mesh" folder and look for that same file.  It should be there.  If you didn't ever close the explorer window you may need to refresh it to see the new file/folder.  Next, delete the new file/folder and double check things.  Finally, start Windows Live Mesh back up and see how it starts working normally.

Now you don't have to worry about it filling up your smaller HDD.

To sync your files to a second HDD you cannot use Junctions (this sucks), but you can use folder redirection.  The caviat is that you have to use the existing users shell folders to achieve this and you have to do it on both of your computers particpating in your mesh (assuming they are both using second larger sized HDD's).

First setup your redirections.  I used my Downloads shell folder.  Right click the Downloads folder and select Properties.  Click the Location tab, change the location to your second HDD.  Repeat this on your second PC (Tip: use WLM to remote control it).  Next on your main PC (my home PC / Media Center) create new folders that have the same names as the folders you want to Mesh but include a 1 character prefix.  Example:  I want to sync D:\Pictures to my work PC's D:\ drive.  I create a new folder on my home computers D:\ drive called _Pictures.  Don't ask why, just do. This has to do with a weird behavior of WLM.  Now go into WLM and setup a new mesh on the D:\_Pictures (I know it's an empty folder, just trust me) folder, but make sure you navigate through your Redirected location.  In this case its my username\Downloads\_Pictures. Choose your work PC as the computer you would like to share the data with.  Your done.  Now check out WLM.  You'll see the new Mesh called _Pictures.  Expand it to see that the path is actually D:\Pictures.  Now go to your work PC and you'll find the exact same D:\Pictures folder now exists.  This is where the seeding process is so imporant.  It will take for ever and make a large Assembler folder while it does its initial sync.  Shutdown mesh on your work PC and sneaker net your files over to it.  Then start WLM again.

You can test things out by syncing a folder with just a couple of files in it at first.  See how it works okay then test deleting a on of the files or renaming one and see how it mirrors the action on your second computer.  Then move the data to both locations, or recreate the Mesh to reflect the folder you wanted to sync in the first place.

Note, if you do not create the new folder with the 1 character prefix then your WLM will create the mesh but it will remove one character from the folder name in the location of the mesh.  Pictures turns into ictures.  Wierd I know, but think about it, this is an unsupported method that they have tried real hard to prevent.  Why else would they have restricted the Meshing of Junction folders.  They knew that people would try to Mesh folders on other HDD devices and they didn't want to deal with the idiosycrasies of doing so.

P.S. if you don't have a second HDD to move the temp files too, try mapping a drive to a NAS device then setting up the Junction to use a path to the NAS via the mapped drive.  I haven't tried it but it could work.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:03 PM