On-Line/Off-Site Backup Alternatives RRS feed

• Question

• Wondering if folks have an opinion about automated, off-site backup? 

KeepVault runs as an add-in (managed from the console) which suggests that KeepVault has put some thought into safely integrating their service into the server environment. CloudBerry has a separate server application for backing up to Amazon S3 or MS Azure.  Both incur charges based on storage volume and volume of up/downloads.  I'm looking at Spideroak which still charges by volume (a rather modest $10 per 100GB per month), and also performs a file deduplication before backing up from LAN attached clients (so you don't pay for same files multiple times). This deduplication and file encryption capability comes at the cost of CPU cycles on each supported client and server.  My concern with Spideroak is that, though they say their Windows version is compatible with MS servers, it would appear that the application would be installed directly from the server's desktop and not managed from the console.  Makes me a bit nervous.

This post may also invite comments on storage strategies. I'm interested in you experience with these or other automated, on-line backup services.

Best,

John

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:49 PM

All replies

• Wondering if folks have an opinion about automated, off-site backup? 

KeepVault runs as an add-in (managed from the console) which suggests that KeepVault has put some thought into safely integrating their service into the server environment. CloudBerry has a separate server application for backing up to Amazon S3 or MS Azure.  Both incur charges based on storage volume and volume of up/downloads.  I'm looking at Spideroak which still charges by volume (a rather modest $10 per 100GB per month), and also performs a file deduplication before backing up from LAN attached clients (so you don't pay for same files multiple times). This deduplication and file encryption capability comes at the cost of CPU cycles on each supported client and server.  My concern with Spideroak is that, though they say their Windows version is compatible with MS servers, it would appear that the application would be installed directly from the server's desktop and not managed from the console.  Makes me a bit nervous.

This post may also invite comments on storage strategies. I'm interested in you experience with these or other automated, on-line backup services.

Best,

John

I'm planning to test Crashplan, http://b3.crashplan.com/

Just to add one more to the list! :)

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:02 PM
  • I'm using Handy Backup for a long time to backup my home PC and server at work. I know it has own builtin service for Online Backup , but I trying this service just once to see what is it mean and what it can do.
    As I understand, you pay for storage only, not for uploads/downloads.

It's fully integrated solution, you can use it with other backups in Handy Backup.

Nothing to say more... I don't need for online backup, but you can download trial copy and try it for free.

My friend using Amazon S3. He say big files (4GB and bigger) are not supported. May be something already changed.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:57 AM