Software Licensing Disabled, Unvalidated Vista, Operability Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have read many posts on this.  It seems Microsoft is unable to offer any suggestions on how to fix this.  I decided to go ahead and post the question anyway...  Maybe something new has transpired.  Really don't want to reload Vista... I would like to know what caused this problem so I can avoid it in the future.  Here is the report...

Receiving the following...  The Software Licensing service could not be started.

A system error has occured.

System error 34 has occurred. 

The wrong Diskette is in the Drive. 

Insert *** <Volume Serial Number: ***> into drive ***.

I can see I am not the only one with this problem.. I am also not the only one whom Microsoft is unable to help so far.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F4GJK-KG77H-B9HD2
    Windows Product Key Hash: iJAth4TbScMi8HdcPurlASXdEkw=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00204
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {9965E8C6-24CA-4AF3-A7B8-A5925120F046}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6001.18000

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007 - 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll[6.0.6001.18000]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9965E8C6-24CA-4AF3-A7B8-A5925120F046}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B9HD2</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00204</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-362677189-1896180479-2121187230</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 1720                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080203000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>89323507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>US Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0051-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>3AB862DE70D8D86</Val><Hash>UfpXsJvSSVcPufbDdjd0NK73+ug=</Hash><Pid>89405-707-4159871-63291</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>580054BA7A0CF0E</Val><Hash>9lrvuj+VBkNm5KwqeMWKRCTzmIM=</Hash><Pid>81605-903-3453213-65205</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="53" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hello Gahbeck,

Yes, I have two possible fixes for you and, in addition, a past user (that had your exact same issue) has posted a (fairly technical) fix, that he came up with himself, that  (unconfirmed) fixes the issue.  

The core to your particular issue centers on the line in your Diagnostic Report, that reads:

File Scan Data-->

This line means that the critical system file uxtheme.dll has either

a)     Been tampered/modified/become corrupt to the point that its Signature Hash no longer matches the Signature Hash listed in Vista's System Catalog.
    Or
    b)    Has recently been updated but the file's Signature Hash was not updated (in Vista's System Catalog) to reflect the updated file's new Signature Hash.  

Vista compares a Critical System file's Signature Hash with the Signature Hash listed in its System Catalog to determine if that Critical System file has been tampered with. When this happens, depending on the file that has been tampered, Vista may show as Genuine or Non-Genuine, but either way, Vista won't Validate correctly and may also exhibit other strange behavior.

I can not, however, tell you why this occured because, as I mentioned above, there are a number of reasons this could happen. The reasons could include anything from  a Virus corrupting/modifing a file, to an Update erroring out before updateing the file's Signature Hash in Vista's System Catalog, to a bad sector on the hard drive corrupting the file or even a user manually modifing or deleting the file. There is no way for me to tell.

Please note thta this issue also occures in XP (and any other OS where a file can become corrupt) as well, but if it occures in XP, the only likely indication would be errors when XP attempted to use that file (and it may not be obvious what was actually causing the problem). At lease in Vista, we know what file is causing the problem. True, in some cases, it may not be easilly fixable, but at least it saves you from hours of exploratory troubleshooting, to find out.

To resolve your issue, we need to replace or repair the file so it's Signature Hash matches what is listed in Vista System Catalog. I can provide a couple of suggestions to do this:

A)    Install Service Pack 1 for Vista (found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en). File uxtheme.dll may be included in the SP1 install and if so, SP1 will overwrite the bad file with a Known-Good copy.  

(Note: this is the simpler way to resolve, but be aware that I have not received confirmation that uxtheme.dll is, in fact, included in SP1. So if this option does not resolve the issue, please see option B).

B)    Repair Windows using System Restore:

1) Reboot Vista into Safe Mode
    2) Go to Control Panel
    3) On the left hand side of the Control Panel window, Click on "Classic View"
    4) Double-click "Backup and Restore Center"
    5) On the left hand side of the window, click "Repair Windows using system restore"
    6) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.
    7) Click the "Next" button.
    8) Reboot back into Normal mode
    9) Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

C)    You can go to http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinevista/thread/c0347ece-574b-499b-85af-04c05ca69023  and attempt the fix that user axxent has provided. Note: this fix has not yet been tested by my team so I can not vouch for it. But on first look, it does appear promising.

If none of these solutions resolves your issue, the last resort, that I can provide, is to reinstall Vista. But before you do that, create a (no cost)
    support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and see if they can provide any alternatives.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hello Gahbeck,

Yes, I have two possible fixes for you and, in addition, a past user (that had your exact same issue) has posted a (fairly technical) fix, that he came up with himself, that  (unconfirmed) fixes the issue.  

The core to your particular issue centers on the line in your Diagnostic Report, that reads:

File Scan Data-->

This line means that the critical system file uxtheme.dll has either

a)     Been tampered/modified/become corrupt to the point that its Signature Hash no longer matches the Signature Hash listed in Vista's System Catalog.
    Or
    b)    Has recently been updated but the file's Signature Hash was not updated (in Vista's System Catalog) to reflect the updated file's new Signature Hash.  

Vista compares a Critical System file's Signature Hash with the Signature Hash listed in its System Catalog to determine if that Critical System file has been tampered with. When this happens, depending on the file that has been tampered, Vista may show as Genuine or Non-Genuine, but either way, Vista won't Validate correctly and may also exhibit other strange behavior.

I can not, however, tell you why this occured because, as I mentioned above, there are a number of reasons this could happen. The reasons could include anything from  a Virus corrupting/modifing a file, to an Update erroring out before updateing the file's Signature Hash in Vista's System Catalog, to a bad sector on the hard drive corrupting the file or even a user manually modifing or deleting the file. There is no way for me to tell.

Please note thta this issue also occures in XP (and any other OS where a file can become corrupt) as well, but if it occures in XP, the only likely indication would be errors when XP attempted to use that file (and it may not be obvious what was actually causing the problem). At lease in Vista, we know what file is causing the problem. True, in some cases, it may not be easilly fixable, but at least it saves you from hours of exploratory troubleshooting, to find out.

To resolve your issue, we need to replace or repair the file so it's Signature Hash matches what is listed in Vista System Catalog. I can provide a couple of suggestions to do this:

A)    Install Service Pack 1 for Vista (found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en). File uxtheme.dll may be included in the SP1 install and if so, SP1 will overwrite the bad file with a Known-Good copy.  

(Note: this is the simpler way to resolve, but be aware that I have not received confirmation that uxtheme.dll is, in fact, included in SP1. So if this option does not resolve the issue, please see option B).

B)    Repair Windows using System Restore:

1) Reboot Vista into Safe Mode
    2) Go to Control Panel
    3) On the left hand side of the Control Panel window, Click on "Classic View"
    4) Double-click "Backup and Restore Center"
    5) On the left hand side of the window, click "Repair Windows using system restore"
    6) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.
    7) Click the "Next" button.
    8) Reboot back into Normal mode
    9) Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

C)    You can go to http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinevista/thread/c0347ece-574b-499b-85af-04c05ca69023  and attempt the fix that user axxent has provided. Note: this fix has not yet been tested by my team so I can not vouch for it. But on first look, it does appear promising.

If none of these solutions resolves your issue, the last resort, that I can provide, is to reinstall Vista. But before you do that, create a (no cost)
    support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and see if they can provide any alternatives.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Well Darin,

First I want to thank you for your attempts at helping with this problem... I have followed all the steps you recommended including the procedure for replacing the mismatched file.  SP1 refused to install because it is already installed.  The restore did not fix the problem nor did the uxtheme.dll replacement with an older file from 2006.  The frustration starts to really fester when the user who purchases a product in good faith just wants to use the product as advertised by the manufacturer.  Whether it be a blender, a car, or a wrench or an operating system.  When it doesn't operate as advertised by the manufacturer there should be some kind of good faith at aggressively relieving the customers frustration.  No, more than that.  The customers problem should be fixed.  I just feel that Microsoft leaves it up to the end user to spend countless hours of researching and futile attempts at fixing something or the alternative... Reloading Windows, which is again hours of backing up programs, exporting contact lists, etc.. etc..  All because the product fails while in service.  Microsoft is probably not the only company that gets away with this... but they undoubtedly get away with it more than anyone else.

Once again, thanks again for trying to help.  I had actually already followed your advice and asked for support via email to Microsofts Support site..  I was told I would be reached within 24 hours by someone...  That has not happened.  Your return post from my forum entry was the only help I have received from Microsoft.  I will research possible solutions to this problem for one more day and then I will have to start from scratch and rebuild my system again due to an important business event next week.  I am just glad this did not happen next week. 

I have come across some forum stuff on compatibility issues with the uxtheme.dll which is a microsoft dll, and Vista SP1.  If you have any other advice I would love to hear it.  Oh, one other thing... after I replace the uxtheme.dll I went back to MGA and tried to run the diagnostic again thinking maybe the problem moved and it failed saying I had an incompatible operating system.  I haven't tried it from safe mode yet... that is my next option.

I also ran into issues while trying to replace the uxtheme.dll using the other forum users recommendation.  No matter what mode of safe mode I was in, It would not let me just paste over the top of the old file.  I had to go to command prompt with administrator control.  Take control of the file with the takeown /f command.  Netstop the functions uxsms and themes. ren the uxtheme.dll with another name, and then copy.  Of course knowing how do all of this didn't just pop into my head... I had to research first.

Thanks again for help..

Gary Hollenbeck
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I'm sorry to hear that none of my possible fixes has worked. But there is something else I can do. Please post the Confirmation Number from your Service Request and I will contact that group's manager and ensure support does, in fact, contact you. That is not acceptable.

Sorry that I wasn't much help with your issue,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Ohh, one last thing, try searching for file uxtheme.dll, again. But this time, right-click on each of the uxtheme.dll files (that the search found) and select "Properties". Then click on the 'Details' tab and look at the line "Product version" and "Date Modified". You want the oldest file that has the Product Version of '6.0.6001.18000' (i.e the same version number as the bad file that causing the problem).   Once (if) you find a file that fits that criteria, try the steps that the other user posted and see if that gives you better results.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Darin,

Thanks again for your swift replys and obvious concern for my situation.  I had decided to reload windows vista last night and have been working on it since..  My laptop is having some trouble with the reload..  doesnt' want to shut down properly for some reason each time during the install.  As soon as I have it back up and running and my Outlook pst file reloaded I will get you that service request confirmation.

Once again, you have been extremely helpful.  I just wish microsoft had just a tad more ability at fixing thier own product.

Thanks,

Gary Hollenbeck
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Gahbeck,

Have you installed any third party programs to change any aspect of the look and feel of Vista, such as a program that adds new themes, screensavers, or other visual elements?

If so, the problem with your uxtheme.dll file may be related, as some of hese added themes or visual elements require the downloading and installing of hacked uxtheme.dll files to allow the visual changes to take effect.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Dan,

I had indeed installed a theme program about 3 months ago.  Worked fine till about 1 week ago after I installed an update from Microsoft.  I did uninstall the theme program but it did not good.  Learned my lesson on that one. I guess.

Gary
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Darin,

I do have one other question for you.  I am trying to reinstall vista... my laptop just keeps hanging.  For example I came in this morning because if was taking such a long time last night.  I had a black screen with the mouse curser, nothing else.. and I could move it.  so I rebooted... told it to come up in normal mode at the safe mode screen and it just hangs with the black screen and microsoft corporation at the bottom with the scrolling green status bar...   It has no been in this state for four hours.. Is this normal...  What would you recommend I do at this stage?

Gary
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Darin,
    Don't worry about it.  I just reformatted.  It seems to be moving along crisply now.  should have done it in the first place.

Have a great day!

Gary
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:02 PM

•  Dan at IT Associates:  Thanks for the information regarding the hacked uxtheme.dll used in some 3rd party themes or visual elements! I wasn't aware of that. Do you have any information regarding what 3rd party themes are know to use hacked DLLs?

Gary: Glad to hear Vista is installing now. When you do post that Confirmation Number, do you still want me to support contact you or just inform the group's Manager, of the issue, so he can take corrective action?

Cheers,
    Darin
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Hi Darin,

From what I understand, people who want to add custom themes to XP (and Vista) are stymied by the fact that the uxtheme.dll file will not allow the installation of additional themes unless they are signed by Microsoft.  Most of the internet hacks that modify uxtheme.dll seem to target this restriction, somehow changing the uxtheme.dll so that it no longer balks when the user tries to install an unsigned theme.

Another use for the hacked uxtheme.dll was to allow the full application of free themes when using the look and feel program WindowBlinds from Stardock Software.  The demo/free version of WindowBlinds only allowed a little bit of the interface to be redrawn according to an applied theme, while the full version applied theme changes all across the interface.  Hackers created their own hacked uxtheme.dll that not only bypassed Microsoft's restriction on allowing digitally signed themes to be used, these uber-hacked versions also got around the limitations that Stardock built into WindowBlinds so that the free version had all the ability of the paid version.

My guess is that the process of removing the digital signature check itself alters the digital signature of the uxtheme.dll file, and that must get the attention of Vista's anti-tampering engine, and must make Vista think it is being hacked.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 1, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Yep, that would do it. In Vista, any modification of a (protected) file (or replacing a file) will change it's Signature Hash. When Vista detects that the Signature Hash no longer matches what that file's Hash should be, it assumes that someone (or something) is attempting to hack it and goes into reduced functionality mode. 

(for amyone that doesn't know what a file's "Hash" is, think of it as the file's digital fingerprint. If even one bit of the file is modified, the fignerprint changes)

Thanks for the information Dan!,
    Darin
    Friday, August 1, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Darin, Dan,

No need for the confirmation number now..  My rebuild is complete.  The reason my operating system kept hanging is due to the drivers for my SATA drive.  The Windows Vista could not handle the install until I provided the appropriate drivers for tha AHCP?... formatting...  once again, took some research but figured it out.

I wanted to take a moment and thank both of you guys for your assistance and concern in getting me back up and running.

Gary Hollenbeck
    Monday, August 4, 2008 2:31 PM