Possible port forwarding issues RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a D-Link router bridged with a Linksys router. All of my devices, including my HP MSS are wired to the D-Link, and access to the Internet is via the Linksys which has a slot for my mobile broadband card.

I've got an issue at the moment where my Linksys keeps freezing and therefore means I have no Internet (it's an issue for another forum), and I either get it working again by unplugging the Linksys and plugging it back in again, or sometimes it will just unfreeze itself and carry on working.

My issue is that as soon as it freezes the network icon turns yellow and it comes up with a message that 'verifying port forwarding for your router failed'. If I try and access the server via my homeserver.com domain (but from within the network) it brings up the login box for the Linksys router.

The only way to fix it is to restart the server, then the green light comes back on again, and going to my homeserver.com domain from within the network brings up the normal remote access web site.

Port forwarding is not set up manually as WHS can configure it automatically, however before I realised this and had it set up manually, I would get exactly the same thing as I've just described.

So, is that normal for things to get messed up when the router gets stuck, or is there anyway of making everything stay on green so that I don't have to keep restarting the server? It's not really a problem when I'm home but if it gets stuck when I'm away from home then bye bye remote access.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:50 AM

Answers

• It sounds as though you need to change your router!

WHS is doing exactly as it should, reporting network errors as soon as possible. Why do you need two routers? it does sound as though there might be some interaction between the two routers creating the problem. Is there any reason you cannot connect the other router first - to the internet - and have the server connected to that?

Colin

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:19 PM

All replies

• It sounds as though you need to change your router!

WHS is doing exactly as it should, reporting network errors as soon as possible. Why do you need two routers? it does sound as though there might be some interaction between the two routers creating the problem. Is there any reason you cannot connect the other router first - to the internet - and have the server connected to that?

Colin

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Unfortunately I don't have a choice at the moment. I live in the upstairs part of my fiance's parents' house and there's not a single phone jack up here so the only way I can access the Internet is via a mobile broadband card, and the only way I can set that up is by sticking it into a Linksys router (WRT54G3G). My D-Link is superior to the Linksys so that's why I'm stuck using two routers at the moment.

Apart from when the Linksys freezes and messes up the server it works well.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:58 PM