How do you limit the pictures from searching music and video folders? RRS feed

• Question

• The WHS currently allows you to specify which folders you include for video, picture and music.  However it searches all of them for all media types, so my CD cover art is showing up in my pictures, which I do NOT want.  If this is the way it work, why?  None of the other Microsoft O/S and applications do this.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:25 PM

All replies

• WHS 2011 ignores the AlbumArt_{alphanumeric}_Large, AlbumArt_{alphanumeric}_Small, AlbumArtSmall, and Folder.jpg files.

If your CD covers etc are named as normal picture files eg: CDname.jpg, they will be seen and added to the media library. But if they are named using the format in the first sentence they are ignored and will not appear in your pictures.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:55 PM
  • I know that it excludes files with certain names, but this only addresses the issues with the CD folders.  My movies folders have jpg files generated and stored in the directory and now these are showing up. What I want it to be able to specify the folders to look in for certain types of media, just like media center, zune, windows 7, and basically everything else does. 

I hope that I am missing something, otherwise I am confused as to why Home Server took the approach they did.  It is not consistent with the other Microsoft software and simply DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:35 PM
  • I hope that I am missing something, otherwise I am confused as to why Home Server took the approach they did.  It is not consistent with the other Microsoft software and simply DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY...

If your missing something then so i'm I...

I'm having the same type of problem accessing files from WHS2011 from my Xbox360.
    .JPG's in the Music, Movie, Recorded TV and Video folders on WHS2011 that ARE named 'Folder.jpg' AND are set to hidden are showing up in the Pictures section.

But it gets worse.
    The Picture and Video sections are showing folders from both my D: and E: drives. Including files from folders the are either hidden systems folders or hidden Network shares.

This never happened with WHS v1 using the exact same equipment.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:54 PM
  • There's no way to tell Windows Home Server 2011 that "This folder can share still images, but not audio, and this other folder can share video, but not still images". This is a limitation of the technology that underlies the streaming features of your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Friday, June 17, 2011 4:13 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:03 AM
  • That is strange that the streaming technology limits this.  I would hope that the WHS would function just like xbox, zune, WMP, WMC, all Windows O/S versions do.  Has Microsoft expained why this is and if they plan to fix this.  It really is a limitation...
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:18 PM
  • ... Has Microsoft expained why this is and if they plan to fix this. ...
    No, nor do I expect them to. Bugs and suggestions about this and other oddities in streaming have been submitted repeatedly over a period of years. They get closed as "won't fix" or as "by design".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:12 PM