Server Reinstallation and USB Drives RRS feed

• Question

• What is the correct way to handle a server reinstallation when USB drives are in the storage pool? In one document it says to disconnect all USB drives when performing a reinstallation. In another document it says that part of the reinstallation process rebuilds the primary data partition from the data in the storage pool.

How is it possible to reinstall while maintaining the USB drives in the storage pool?

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:36 PM

Answers

• Bezalel, I haven't done this recently (and will have to try it when time permits, unless someone else gets there ahead of me) but I think that doing a server reinstallation doesn't require you to disconnect the USB drives. When I last did a reinstallation, I think I did it with USB drives connected, and everything worked just fine. When you do a new installation, it will refuse to proceed if it detects USB storage connected, however.

The documentation is confusing in this area. Sad
    Monday, September 17, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Evening,

A new installation does refuse to install,if USB drives are attached - as I found out! However, I did a re-install on that particular server while the external drives were attached with no problems.

HTH,

Colin

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think WHS write some kind of signture to the drive that it add to the pool, so the right steps will be like this:

1 - Disconnect the USB drive, and do the Server Reinstall.
    2 - When the reinstall done, shut down the WHS.
    3 - Add the USB drive.
    4 - Turn on the WHS server and give it time to reorgnize the pool again.

I did not did that beofre, but that how I understand the way regarding the USB drive.

My best.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Bezalel, I haven't done this recently (and will have to try it when time permits, unless someone else gets there ahead of me) but I think that doing a server reinstallation doesn't require you to disconnect the USB drives. When I last did a reinstallation, I think I did it with USB drives connected, and everything worked just fine. When you do a new installation, it will refuse to proceed if it detects USB storage connected, however.

The documentation is confusing in this area. Sad
    Monday, September 17, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Evening,

A new installation does refuse to install,if USB drives are attached - as I found out! However, I did a re-install on that particular server while the external drives were attached with no problems.

HTH,

Colin

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:06 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Bezalel, I haven't done this recently (and will have to try it when time permits, unless someone else gets there ahead of me) but I think that doing a server reinstallation doesn't require you to disconnect the USB drives. When I last did a reinstallation, I think I did it with USB drives connected, and everything worked just fine. When you do a new installation, it will refuse to proceed if it detects USB storage connected, however.

The documentation is confusing in this area.

Hi Ken,

Totally agree here, if really come to doc, it do not cover every issue as clear as it should.

I guess as Colin said, it ok to do the reinstall while the USB connect to the server, so I will add that to my info as well.

Thanks Colin! Smile

My best.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 6:18 PM