Does userid "Steve" exist on server or not? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a userid "Steve" on my Windows Home Server 2011.  I can logon to it at the server console, or from my PC via Remote Desktop Connection.

If I open the server dashboard (from my PC) and display the "Users" then all I see is "Guest". 

So, there seems to be a distinction between users defined to the native server operating system and those defined to the server component. 

If I try to add "Steve" as a user in  the dashboard, I'm told that it already exists, but it's not showing it. So how do I get out of this pickle?

The one thing that nearly prevented me installing a server in the first place was the sure and certain knowledge that I'd end up in a morass of userid/permission problems... well, here I am.

Steve Swift

• Edited by Swiftie Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:29 AM Fix typo
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:27 AM

Answers

• Connect as "Administrator" and change the "Steve" password using the Dashboard?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:35 PM
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:30 PM

All replies

• Did you create the User Account using the Dashboard (the correct way)?

If not, try a RDP connection (as Administrator) to the Server and use Control Panel, User Accounts to see if "Steve" is there. If so, delete it and then use the Dashboard to recreate it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:57 PM
  • I deleted my "Steve" userid and added it back via the dashboard.

Unfortunately, I can no longer connect to the server as Steve, because something (not me) has changed the server password in the meantime (it was working before I fiddled with the "Steve" userid).

So, I suspect I'll now have to re-install WHS from scratch. Are there any other options? 

Steve Swift

Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Connect as "Administrator" and change the "Steve" password using the Dashboard?

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:35 PM
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:30 PM
  • I'm just getting more and more confused. However, the current state of play is that I managed to get into the dashboard, and there I used "Change the Server Password" to change the password back (from the same password as the userid "Proliant" currently has) to the password that I had written down this morning. 

So, I'm back in business, vastly confused, somewhat leery about touching the god-rotted thing ever again.

Steve Swift

Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Working with a server version of Windows (in this case, Windows Server 2008 R2 on which WHS 2011 is based) is not like working with Windows on a regular PC.  (There is a reason why WHS no longer exists as a consumer-facing product.)  So, unless you really know what you are about, do all your setup and administration using the Dashboard interface. 

Treating the server like a client PC by, for example, adding local user accounts outside of the Dashboard, is not supported. (I'm sure this is obvious now.)

The reason you can't connect to the server as 'Steve' after recreating the account in the Dashboard is that home server users have no remote login privileges at the physical server (except in a very limited way through Remote Web Access, if granted in the Dashboard). This is by design. User accounts created in the Dashboard belong to a specific security group with limited permissions at the server.

If you need to log into your server to do things outside of the Dashboard interface, use the built-in 'Administrator' account with the server password you created at setup.  Be very careful when doing this, as it is easy to mess things up.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, December 30, 2013 3:08 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 3:01 PM
  • I'm already forgetting the details of this episode (age-related memory loss; I've had it since I was about 3 years old! Now I'm 63, it's more pronounced) but my problem was accessing the dashboard. Certainly when accessing the dashboard remotely, you have to enter the "Server Password" (although it doesn't tell you that's what it wants, it just says "Enter password"). It doesn't ask for a userid, hence userid "Steve" never came into the equation.

Recall that I delected "Steve" from "Users" inside the the Control Panel. Well, I felt exposed without a fall-back Admin ID, so I created a new admin ID called "Proliant". 

When I couldn't get to the dashboard, because it was rejecting my server password (which I had written down, and had used earlier in the day) I decided to try Proliant's password, on the basis that it was the ONLY password that I'd set that day. Well, it worked, and you could have knocked me over with a feather.

I have no idea what mechanism might take the password from a newly created administrator ID, and also set it as the Server Password. I suppose there is a sort of logic in this... at least this is likely to be a password you can remember.

Steve Swift

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:33 PM