I have had no problems for the past year or so, and now I get "This copy of windows did not genuine Windows validation". RRS feed

• Question

• Ok here's my beef. I've had the same copy of XP on my computer for a year or so. Been able to update in all that time and all of the sudden yesterday I get the above mentioned message. As far as I know I did everything legit, but yes I did buy this on eBay but the seller advertised himself as Microsoft Certifed seller. The CD passes through all of the inspection. Not a copy. It was all sealed up and I've only used the product key once.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23401
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {E7DA8203-8433-4C5B-A40F-A4C7FAE7F63E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{E7DA8203-8433-4C5B-A40F-A4C7FAE7F63E}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23401</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1220945662-746137067-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>KT400-8235</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20031007000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E31E3BCF0184207B</HWID><UserLCID>040F</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hello igvar.arni,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-geographically blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original key holder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, Microsoft may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, i.e., more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

A geographically blocked key is blocked when it is detected in use outside of the worldwide geographic area(s) covered by its VL Agreement. 
    As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therefore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer. Individual consumers should NOT have VL licenses on their computers.

If yous earch the forum for your partial product key 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY, you'll see there are several pages of posters who have been victimized by this counterfeit product key.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or another version or edition of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

5.  Windows XP purchased in retail packaging will have the CoA on the retail package box top, and will have the Product Key on a yellow-orange label affixed to the CD holder folder inside the box.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hello igvar.arni,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-geographically blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original key holder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, Microsoft may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, i.e., more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

A geographically blocked key is blocked when it is detected in use outside of the worldwide geographic area(s) covered by its VL Agreement. 
    As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therefore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer. Individual consumers should NOT have VL licenses on their computers.

If yous earch the forum for your partial product key 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY, you'll see there are several pages of posters who have been victimized by this counterfeit product key.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or another version or edition of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

5.  Windows XP purchased in retail packaging will have the CoA on the retail package box top, and will have the Product Key on a yellow-orange label affixed to the CD holder folder inside the box.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:20 AM
  • 1. It is Pro.

2. It reads OEM Software in black lettering

3. No, I built it myself.

4. *****-*****-YQK9F-7TBB2-XGG88

5.  It came with the following label "Small Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs"

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Hello ingvar.arni,

Normally the first solution to your situation would be to run the Product Key Updater Utility at this link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668.  Please try it and let us know.

Unfortunately, since an internet search of the partial product key on your CoA YQK9F-7TBB2-XGG88 yields over 10 pages of hits, I predict that the PK Updater will not be able to update the PK to YQK9F-7TBB2-XGG88, or that if it can, once you rerun the mgadiag utility, it will come up as a Blocked or Invalid PK.

If that does happen, let's examine your materials.

Please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase:

1.  Does the CD read "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left?  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers in two sections.  Please post the text of the second section of the file.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Your right on the first point.

1. Yes it does say that. And it seems to be a very thin label.

2. This is all I get "ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
    Pid=55274270"

Here's the other problem, as it stands I can't afford to shell out 95 english pound for a brand spanking newcopy.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Hello ingvar.arni,

I hink we've gathered enough data to say that your materials seem to have all of the characteristics of hi-quality counterfeits.  So, follow the prompts you are being shown by the WGA Notifications utility and choose the option to prepare a piracy report and send your materials to Microsoft for evaluation.  If they deem the materials to be high quality counterfeits, you may quaify for complimentary replacements.

Post back to keep us abreast of developments in your situation.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:43 AM
  • 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY

YQK9F-7TBB2-XGG88

Snap I have the same problem same Keys . 

Built my own PC purchased around a year ago.  Have formatted about 4 times due to updating new drive, 2 virus attackes and recently to just clear out and start afresh and got the same problem.  Activation went fine registered with Microsoft no problem.  But when downloading updates and the Genuine Advantage tool downloaded as it has all other times it said validation failed and gave the number ending in -RPWBY which is not what I had put in whilst loading no *****-*****-YQK9F-7TBB2-XGG88.

As I tend to download all updates before loading my programs I reformated again and realoaded Windows XP Pro and checked everything as I went all loaded fine put in my key and changed settings where they need changing. So now here typing this to you.  Have not downloaded the Genuine Advantage tool this time or used the WGA tool as I am in the middle of doing work for someone and need my windows to be working fine for the time being can get by without updates have put SP3 on as I have it on disk.  Looks like the Windows XP Pro is from the same batch as the gentleman. The COA label is stuck to the back of the booklet is a bluey green and has  silver running through the two holes and is thin.

I called Microsoft about this a spoke to someone in India I think who said it was a copy that went with Computers and was for the use of the manufacturer. She did not say it was an ilegal copy just that I could buy a key from Microsoft at £95!!!!

So do I do the same as you have directed above to do. And once that I have downloaded the WGA tool can I carry on using Windows XP Pro as normal with out the updates as I have been doing for the last week since it happened to me as it has to Arni. Also I have noticed that the on the CD the Square at the bottom of the cd which says Microsoft does not change as you move the CD or should it not. Mine also says OEM.  I also Purchased it on ebay. 

setup ini file information ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
    Pid=55274270

I also have another Windows XP Pro OEM which I purchased for my cousin's computer (8 months a go) as she had purchased the pc second hand and it has Windows 98 on it.  I purchased that one on Play.com but had the same problem when I loaded it was fine activated it that was fine but vadlidation failed. Key:*****_*****_J89JM-9HHFV-GTFB6 the COA label is stuck to the back of the booklet is a bluey green and has  silver running through the two holes.  Tried to contact the seller with no luck.

Without loading it I am unable to give more details but can give the information in the setup ini file and what I can find on the disk- 

ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
    Pid=55274270

On this second Windows XP Pro  *****-*****-J89JM-9HHFV-GTFB6 I also noticed that it has an $OEM$ folder on the disk at the top of the list of folders and auto runs on the cd.  (This does not appear on the  yqk9f-7tbb2-xgg88 disk.) This OEM folder contains another folder called $1 A Setup which contains the following:-

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

Dim XP_PROD_KEY

XP_PROD_KEY = "*****-*****-X9QRG-J4B2Y-GR2TT"

XP_PROD_KEY = Replace(XP_PROD_KEY,"-","")

for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")

result = Obj.SetProductKey (XP_PROD_KEY)

Next

A Dos Batch file which says

@echo.
    start /wait %systemdrive%\setup.vbs

This has confussed my mind ??????????

Friday, September 4, 2009 11:47 AM