External Hard Drive - HELP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my External disk (USB hard-drive) is not working. Its a 160GB WD1600BEVT with an external enclosure and usb plug.

When I plug it to USB port the installation runs and says "device is ready to use" but it doesn't show up on my computer.
    Under Computer Manager I have the following:

• Under Disk Drives its shwon as "USB device" (says its working properly).
    • Under "Serial Bus Controllers" is shown as  USB STORAGE DEVICE (says its working properly).
    • But nothing related to this disk appears under Disk Management... just have C:/ and D:/ (DVD).

The same happen in two different laptops and a desktop.

Can you please advise me if this is likely to be an issue with the hard drive itself or with the external enclosure?

Any advise on how to solve is?

Many Thanks

Antonio 

Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum is to Discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios. Please first check the FAQ before posting a question. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thank you,
    Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak MCP since 1993 Please click "Mark as Answered" if a post solves your problem Please click "Vote As Helpful" if you find the answer helpful

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:53 PM
  • Try http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:48 PM