Getting Meaningful Reports from a Master Project using Project Pro 2010 with Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Project was established before I came onboard, and I'm trying to get all the reports that management wants.  Scenario is as follows:

One master project, 25 sub-projects.  All subplans are related to project implementation but not necessarily to each other.

If I pull a milestone report from the master, I get all the milestone information, but cannot tell which subproject the milestone is related to, and unfortunately the task descriptions are not specific enough to tell this.  Pulling the same report from all 25 sub-projects is rather tedious.

I'm new to the 2010 Pro version but have worked with earlier version of Project.  I am totally new to Project Server.

Pointers to meaningful websites and/or reference books would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, I've seen other posts that suggest that Custom reports are not working correctly -- is that still true?

Thanks!

• Moved by Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCT, MVP Monday, December 20, 2010 9:24 PM Post is for Project Server, not Project Pro (From:Project Standard and Professional General Questions and Answers)
    Monday, December 20, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

• Betty:

The BI Center in Project Server is the ideal place to create this report. Are you familiar with working with pivot tables in Excel? If so, click on the Business Intelligence link and then navigate to the templates library. Click into the English folder and then click on the Projects and Assignments workbook link. This template brings in the data you need to create your report.

If you are not familiar with using Excel and publishing to SharePoint, you will want to jump into Module 17 or Managing Enterprise Projects using Microsoft Project Server 2010, when it arrives. We've included a great step-by-step tutorial on building reports and dashboards that any non-technical project manager can follow.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:17 PM

All replies

• Betty:

The predecssor field indicates the external project. Is this enough to help you? Also, can you be more specific about "custom reports not working correctly?" I've heard of some bad data in one of the visual reports, but this is very specific and only affects a couple of them. Can you tell us how you're generating your report?

Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

Project Pro has  Project Field that provides the name of the sub-project where a Task lives. Try displaying it in any Master Project View and see if that helps. I haven't checked, but the Project field may also be available in PWA.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, December 20, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Hi all,

After reading your responses and a few other forum threads, I am starting to feel like I'm in over my head. Prior to this project, I've only used MS Project as a standalone application, not with the server implementation (PWA).  I'm a project manager, not a programmer, have never had to create macros or export the data to other programs. (And I'm the only project manager on this site, don't have anyone to work with.)

As far as I can tell, the location is not using the server functionality for anything other than storing the project files.  The business experts are making their changes via Project Pro on their computer, saving the updated files to the server where I can view/update them. I have pushed them to using an enterprise calendar and resource pool for some standardization.  There is no plan to use timesheets to track hours on a task. There has been an interest expresed in saving related project documentation to the Sharepoint server, but the business is not using any Sharepoint functionality at this time.  I'm not sure there is a real justification for the environment that has been built here, but I'm more than willing to take advantage of it if it's going to help me get the reports that management wants.

The first report that management wants is an overall milestone report sorted by scheduled date, with sufficient task information to tell what subproject it came from, so that he can see what should happen in the next 30-60-90 days. Building this report from the existing Milestone report in Project Pro gives me most of the info, but task descriptions get truncated in some cases, don't have enough specific info in other cases to be able to tell what subproject it came from.

General questions:

1.  Are there any online tutorials that would help me get smarter about PWA functionality? Recommended books? (I've got a couple on order from MSProject Experts, but they won't ship til sometime in January)

2.  In general, is it preferable to create the reports through PWA or the client? Where will I have more ability to create reports easily?

3.  Should I just accept that I need to learn about macros and OLAP to get the reports I need? And if so, any recommendations where I should start?

4.  Do you have any other suggestions for things I should be looking at or considering to be successful in this situation?

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Betty:

The BI Center in Project Server is the ideal place to create this report. Are you familiar with working with pivot tables in Excel? If so, click on the Business Intelligence link and then navigate to the templates library. Click into the English folder and then click on the Projects and Assignments workbook link. This template brings in the data you need to create your report.

If you are not familiar with using Excel and publishing to SharePoint, you will want to jump into Module 17 or Managing Enterprise Projects using Microsoft Project Server 2010, when it arrives. We've included a great step-by-step tutorial on building reports and dashboards that any non-technical project manager can follow.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Gary, thanks, that's one of the books I have on order.

Any chance of getting a softcopy of module 17 prior to publication? I'll be glad to provide proof of order in a private email if that makes a difference. (Can you tell I'm feeling stressed and frustrated?)

Thanks!

Betty

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Betty --

In addition to the excellent answers from Gary Chefetz, you might try this in Microsoft Project 2010:
    1. Open the master project.
    2. Expand every subproject and then expand all of the summary tasks in each subproject.
    3. Click the View tab to display the View ribbon.
    4. In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Filter pick list and select the Milestones filter.
    For the interim until you get our book, you can use this technique to easily see the Milestones in every subproject.  That might help you get moving in the right direction.  Hope this also helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:06 AM