locked
Communicator normalization bug? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm trying to normalize our non-DID numbers.  I'm using the following pattern: ^(0\d{3})$ with this translation: +16781234400;ext=$1.  When I test it within Enterprise Voice Route Helper it returns the correct number (e.g. 01234 becomes +16781234400;ext=01234).  However, Communicator is converting it to +1 (678) 123-4400 X1234 (dropping the leading 0 from the non-DID number).  Is this a known bug or a limitation?

    OCS 2007 R2, Communicator 3.5.6907.37

    Thanks.


    GT
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:43 PM

All replies

  • Hi

    OCS comes with built-in normalization rules, based on US generic phone numbers. I presume your particular case matches one of these rules.
    check this blog to deactivate these rules, and only use your specific rules
    http://www.ocspedia.com/Misc/How_to_use_absconfig_tool.htm

    you can also test your number with abserver command line and check which rule applies.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Hi

    OCS comes with built-in normalization rules, based on US generic phone numbers. I presume your particular case matches one of these rules.
    check this blog to deactivate these rules, and only use your specific rules
    http://www.ocspedia.com/Misc/How_to_use_absconfig_tool.htm

    you can also test your number with abserver command line and check which rule applies.

    I'm talking about dialling, not address book entries.
    GT
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:04 AM
  • Additional info ....

    -The same behaviour happens with a Tanjay.
    -If I change the rule to look for a leading 9 instead of 0 it normalizes properly (but this isn't a solution ... my non-DIDs all start with a 0).


    GT
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I'm trying to normalize our non-DID numbers.  I'm using the following pattern: ^(0\d{3})$ with this translation: +16781234400;ext=$1.  When I test it within Enterprise Voice Route Helper it returns the correct number (e.g. 01234 becomes +16781234400;ext=01234).  However, Communicator is converting it to +1 (678) 123-4400 X1234 (dropping the leading 0 from the non-DID number).  Is this a known bug or a limitation?

    OCS 2007 R2, Communicator 3.5.6907.37

    Thanks.


    GT

    ^(0\d{3})$ should not match with 01234 - it describes numbers starting with 0 followed by three (and not more) digits since end symbol $ is given.

    Johann
    Johann Deutinger | MCTS Exchange 2007 / OCS 2007
    Friday, October 2, 2009 9:44 PM
  • I saw you're talking about dialing and not address book, but take a deeper look to normalization topics you will see that on the Communicator side some generic rules apply
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26

    you can use reskit and absconfig.exe to adjust WMI settings not to use generic rules.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 8:41 PM
  • I'm trying to normalize our non-DID numbers.  I'm using the following pattern: ^(0\d{3})$ with this translation: +16781234400;ext=$1.  When I test it within Enterprise Voice Route Helper it returns the correct number (e.g. 01234 becomes +16781234400;ext=01234).  However, Communicator is converting it to +1 (678) 123-4400 X1234 (dropping the leading 0 from the non-DID number).  Is this a known bug or a limitation?

    OCS 2007 R2, Communicator 3.5.6907.37

    Thanks.


    GT

    ^(0\d{3})$ should not match with 01234 - it describes numbers starting with 0 followed by three (and not more) digits since end symbol $ is given.

    Johann
    Johann Deutinger | MCTS Exchange 2007 / OCS 2007

    Yes, you are right.  After it didn't work as expected I changed it to only take 4-digits as a test.  Didn't help, same result the leading 0 is always stripped from the extension.
      
    GT
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Thanks for trying to help.  I'm not sure where you're trying to lead me, but I tried adding this to company_phone_number_normalization_rules.txt:
    ^(0\d{3})$
    +15143984400;ext=$1

    Running abserver -testphonenorm gave this:
    Test from Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt on line 71
        Input: '0123'
        Expected Result: '+16781234400;ext=0123'
        Actual Result: '+16781234400;ext=0123'
        Test PASSED
        Matching Rule in Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt on line 19
            ^^(0\d{3})$$

    This is now consistent with the normalization rule I set in Enterprise Voice Route Helper. 

    This still did not help and Communicator is showing +1 (678) 123-4400 X123.

    I did regenerate the address book after making the changes.  I then waited a while and then exited Communicator and launched it again. 


    GT
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:54 PM