none
Double Sticky Thread Bug and Forum Charts

Question

• Hi,

i'm pretty sure this has been reported before, buts its still not fixed and pretty annoying:

If you make a thread sticky it gets duplicated and appears in the fixed part of the forum and in the new threads part of the forum. And every time someone adds a post to a sticky thread, its double pops back to the top of the posting list. See screenshot:

Another -less important- bug is that the "forums charts" for the german server forums (on the left, where it says who has the most answers during the last 30 days) is stuck for weeks if not months now.

Thanks, Denniver

Blog: http://bytecookie.wordpress.com
    Powershell Codesnippet Manager: Link

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge mit dem "Abstimmen"-Button (links) und Beiträge die eine Frage von dir beantwortet haben, als "Antwort" (unten).
    Warum das Ganze? Hier gibts die Antwort.

Friday, September 27, 2013 11:42 AM

Answers

• The sticky forum bug apparently is by design (or at the minimum "very hard to fix").  They claim that it has always been this way despite the fact that it has not.

The forum chart bug has been acknowledged as well with no ETA.  So I guess get used to it.

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:20 PM

All replies

• The sticky forum bug apparently is by design (or at the minimum "very hard to fix").  They claim that it has always been this way despite the fact that it has not.

The forum chart bug has been acknowledged as well with no ETA.  So I guess get used to it.

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:20 PM
  • The leaderboard has been unchanged since mid June (as I recall). Even before that it changed infrequently (since early in the year). Also, the leaderboard used to be specific to each forum, but now it only shows overall leaders for the entire platform (MSDN or TechNet). My theory is that updating the leaderboard impacts performance. If it cannot be restored to way it behaved last year, it should be eliminated.

Regarding the sticky threads being repeated, that is a known issue, but is also very annoying. Here is my guess to explain the behavior. Perhaps like me you look at the threads in one forum at a time. I wear different hats in different forums and get easily confused if I don't know "where I am". However, the forum designers have decided users don't care "where they are". They have attempted to make it transparent. When you view more than one forum at a time, sticky threads do not appear. If there is recent activity in a sticky thread, it won't appear in a multi-forum view unless it is repeated in the list of threads sorted by last reply.

The fact that sticky threads (with no recent activity) do not appear when you view more than one forum explains why we see so many posts that ignore the advice in the sticky threads. They have really lost their usefulness.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:34 PM
  • The fact that sticky threads (with no recent activity) do not appear when you view more than one forum explains why we see so many posts that ignore the advice in the sticky threads. They have really lost their usefulness.

I could not agree more.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,000+ strong and growing)

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:02 PM
  •  

The fact that sticky threads (with no recent activity) do not appear when you view more than one forum explains why we see so many posts that ignore the advice in the sticky threads. They have really lost their usefulness.

Now I know why so many people post new threads about "Please Verify My Account" and claim they see no sticky thread for that topic.  Excellent way to hamstring a functional feature!
    Friday, September 27, 2013 6:04 PM
  • i pretty sure this has been reported before, buts its still not fixed and pretty annoying:

If you make a thread sticky it gets duplicated and appears in the fixed part of the forum and in the new threads part of the forum. And every time someone adds a post to a sticky thread, its double pops back to the top of the posting list.

This I think is one of the gratuitous differences between viewing a single forum and viewing more than one. We could kill two birds with one stone by making the Sticky threads always hidden by default, but have a button (like the Announcements button) which would reveal the sticky threads for all the forums in the view (one, or more than one).

This way the Sticky threads would be available in every view, but by default would not waste space in any view.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:03 PM
  • . We could kill two birds with one stone by making the Sticky threads always hidden by default, but have a button (like the Announcements button) which would reveal the sticky threads for all the forums in the view (one, or more than one).

This way the Sticky threads would be available in every view, but by default would not waste space in any view.

And it would result in all newbies and non regulars not seeing the "stickies" and therefore render them completely useless.

When i look at the recent changes in the forums design and functionality, i ask myself, why is there such a big difference between what the regulars apparently want and deem necessary and what the developers do. There are so many great and detailed suggestions for changes and improvements. But with every redesign, instead of more of them becoming reality, it seems to become more unlikely that they are ever be implemented.

And i do ask myself: did they maybe extensively research that? Is it that maybe the majority love these changes and its just inflexible "old farts" like me and a bunch of others who doesn't?

It does puzzle me.

Denniver

Blog: http://bytecookie.wordpress.com
    Powershell Codesnippet Manager: Link

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge mit dem "Abstimmen"-Button (links) und Beiträge die eine Frage von dir beantwortet haben, als "Antwort" (unten).
    Warum das Ganze? Hier gibts die Antwort.

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:26 PM
  • And i do ask myself: did they maybe extensively research that? Is it that maybe the majority love these changes and its just inflexible "old farts" like me and a bunch of others who doesn't? Or do they just do whatever they like or is hip?

It does puzzle me.

Supposedly the redesign was open to (at least some) MVPs before it went live. There was a thread early on where it was determined that most of them didn't get the message and didn't have the opportunity to voice their opinion.

Methinks that this (EDIT: clarification, this = forum redesign) never would have happened if people other than Microsoft yes men were given an opportunity to weigh in on the proposed "upgrades".

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,000+ strong and growing)

Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:01 AM